The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-13-2021, 06:41 AM
Charter Member

Default String Change Volume Loss

I just changed strings on my Eastman E10OM SB. The e and b strings were too bright for me. I went from the XT's that it came with to GHS Vintage Bronze. While I really like the change in tone I seem to have lost some volume. This guitar has an adi top which was a bit more dynamic before the change.

Could it just be that the strings need to settle in? Is this unusual?

Thanks
Old 06-13-2021, 07:34 AM

Assuming you're using the same gauge? It is a different alloy so that may account for the tonal difference. But if it's the high e and b strings, uncoated, I don't think that would account for the change?

Can you confirm it's the same gauge?
Old 06-13-2021, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Assuming you're using the same gauge? It is a different alloy so that may account for the tonal difference. But if it's the high e and b strings, uncoated, I don't think that would account for the change?

Right. As discussed here already, when we change strings, we are really only changing TWO THIRDS of our strings, the LOWER (wound) two thirds. Because plain strings are more or less the same.

Different manufactures have slight variation in alloys and coating but, given the same guage, the tonal difference would not be drastic. My guess here is that your new wound strings are just mellower.
Old 06-13-2021, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

Yes, same gauge.
Old 06-13-2021, 08:13 AM

try a different set.
Strings are cheap.
Try as many as you can and find what works and what does not work.
Phosphor Bronze is my favorite by far. D Addario is good, Martin brand is good.
Light gauge on my Larrivees and Medium gauge on my Martin.
Old 06-13-2021, 08:19 AM

I recently put those Vintage Bronze strings on couple guitars that were a bit too bright for me and like them a lot. They did warm them up. Didn’t really notice any volume loss, just warmer. Don’t quite understand how losing a bit of volume on an acoustic on an acoustic could matter anyway if that is true. Sure wouldn’t matter to me, just would make them a bit easier to sing over.
Old 06-13-2021, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

Will definitely try others. My comparison is another guitar with an adi top (Eastman E20OM-TC) that is very in your face but not bright and loud. Maybe the rosewood on that one makes a difference.

I don't think it's bad necessarily but was surprised. Someone else that had a similar experience described the difference as muted which is probably more descriptive of what I noticed.
Old 06-13-2021, 10:16 AM
Charter Member

May just be settling in. There's less variation among string types in the wire used for the first & second strings vs the wound string wraps. Not saying high E & B strings are all the same, but in many cases they're same/similar. I'd also make sure the string balls are well seated into the pins.
Old 06-13-2021, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmel555 View Post
May just be settling in. There's less variation among string types in the wire used for the first & second strings vs the wound string wraps. Not saying high E & B strings are all the same, but in many cases they're same/similar. I'd also make sure the string balls are well seated into the pins.
We'll see. I'll give a few more days. I did check the string ball/pins.
Old 06-13-2021, 11:59 AM

Strings are very guitar specific but the GHS VB are some of my favorites. I actually liked them because I found them to have nice projection on the guitar I tried them on.
Old 06-13-2021, 01:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vashondan2018 View Post
I just changed strings on my Eastman E10OM SB. The e and b strings were too bright for me. I went from the XT's that it came with to GHS Vintage Bronze. While I really like the change in tone I seem to have lost some volume. This guitar has an adi top which was a bit more dynamic before the change.

Could it just be that the strings need to settle in? Is this unusual?

Thanks
A possibility is what you are really hearing, is a difference in Dynamics with this string change. There is no question that some strings are more...strident thus sounding more Dynamic?
Dynamics can fool the senses when it comes to volume. Yes a more Dynamic guitar, will sound louder, but less even. There is a greater ranger between the highs and the lows. One of many reasons why Compression is most often used in recordings.
I do not believe that a few days of time will make any difference with volume...it should actually be slightly the opposite.
But what might happen, in a few days you will adjust to the difference in peaks and valleys and find that it has its benefits.
Sometimes it just takes time to understand the differences in the new sound. A possibility that this might even be better for your style of playing. This has happened to me many times before.
Old 06-13-2021, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post

Actually it's likely the high E and B are not any different than they were before. I asked this specific question of several string brands about a year ago. First off the music wire used to make strings is only made by a few companies, and all the string mfrs use their wire. The only thing that changes from say phosphor bronze to 80/20 to Monel to anything else is the wrap on the low E, A, D and G.

What may be different is the interaction between the strings - sympathetic vibrations, for example.
Old 06-13-2021, 02:12 PM

While many disagree with me here, to my ears there are differences in the tone of plain steel strings and I've thrown considerable money at the idea.

For instance, I've bought tin-plated, silver plated, brass-flashed, and in various gauges. Some of those combinations revealed a better transition between wound and steel stings tonally than others. I find that a heavier gauge helps on some guitars and that the brass-flashed steels have a slightly mellower and sweeter tone than others. These slight differences have been revealed through recordings and notes as I ran the experiments. Some of the best "transition" strings have been GHS Vintage Bronze, GHS Thin Core, D'addario XT and John Pearse strings. I won't name the worst but rather encourage people to try different things and find out what works for their style and their guitar(s).

Newtone strings actually offer a Masterclass Electro-Acoustic set where the 3rd string is nickel wound over a round core while the rest of the wound strings 4-6 are phosphor bronze over round core. This is supposed to bridge the gap in brightness between the wound and plain strings better. It is interesting that such a set exists.
Old 06-13-2021, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
While many disagree with me here, to my ears there are differences in the tone of plain steel strings and I've thrown considerable money at the idea.

For instance, I've bought tin-plated, silver plated, brass-flashed, and in various gauges. Some of those combinations revealed a better transition between wound and steel stings tonally than others. I find that a heavier gauge helps on some guitars and that the brass-flashed steels have a slightly mellower and sweeter tone than others. These slight differences have been revealed through recordings and notes as I ran the experiments. Some of the best "transition" strings have been GHS Vintage Bronze, GHS Thin Core, D'addario XT and John Pearse strings. I won't name the worst but rather encourage people to try different things and find out what works for their style and their guitar(s).

Newtone strings actually offer a Masterclass Electro-Acoustic set where the 3rd string is nickel wound over a round core while the rest of the wound strings 4-6 are phosphor bronze over round core. This is supposed to bridge the gap in brightness between the wound and plain strings better. It is interesting that such a set exists.
I am also a believer that there are differences in some unwound strings. Like yourself, I did find subtle differences using brass coated unwound strings. I also found differences in one particular brand of Cryo treated unwound strings.
The difference is small. But sometimes all you need is a small difference to make a big overall difference.
Old 06-13-2021, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

Fascinating. Thanks for all your thoughts. I kind of like how it sounds (certainly better than the strings it came with). There's a huge difference between this adi topped guitar and my other one. The other rosewood one has a torrefied top and is brighter and LOUDER than this one before and after the new strings. My brain may be trying to compare the two and rather than thinking wow they both sound good I'm caught up in the comparison and how I think it should sound.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion