The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-12-2021, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

Cool Current "Best Workaround" to Satellite TV?

My current contract with DISH is up this month. It's been running me $85/mo. and I want to cut that figure down considerably. I'm a senior with a low fixed income, so every penny saved is a good thing!

Although there are some TV shows that I enjoy watching, the MAIN thing I want is to get the Golf Channel! I love the game and it seems they have the preponderance of tournament coverage, except the major Championships; for those, I'm gonna want ESPN, Fox Sports and TNT (?). I will get some OTA coverage like Fox, NBC, CBS and ABC.

I'd miss having a DVR to record shows and watch them whenever I want. Are there DVR's that are affordable and able to record several channels at once, should I desire?

I have good internet service included in my rent (!), if that matters. I really don't know squat about all the "casting" devices, like HULU, ChromeCast and the like.

Hoping that the Collective Mind here can help me sort this out! A bit time-sensitive, as things need to change before the 24th, so I'd appreciate your input!

Thanks, in advance!

John Seth Sherman
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 06-12-2021, 12:27 PM

John - I'm not sure how close you are to a metro area (for over-the-air reception), but we have an Amazon Fire Recast and we also have Amazon Firesticks.

The Recast is a DVR and our version can record two shows at once. I believe they have a four channel version. We connect the Recast to an antenna in the attic and pick up some 50-60 channels! Granted, a number of them are duplicates, some are shopping channels, and some are pure drek, but combine live with recorded and you can keep entertained.

The Amazon Firestick (we also have Prime) has a ton of channels and media available. I have discovered many great shows while on the treadmill in the morning.

As far as the Golf Channel and the sports channels, I have no idea as to whether that comes with Prime, or not. Likely not. They know that they've got you on a short leash if you're a sports fan and, they don't mind making you pay for it. Direct TV might have been the best deal moneywise as far as watching sports goes.

Overall, there are very few things about cable tv that we miss. And, we miss the constant price increases even less. My wife and I do a lot more reading, we play games, and of course... there's guitar!

best,

Rick

PS - we cut the cord about five years ago and haven't looked back.

Last edited by srick; 06-12-2021 at 12:32 PM.
Old 06-12-2021, 01:07 PM

YouTube TV will provide everything you want.
Old 06-12-2021, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

John,

I use a roku box when I’m at my place in the woods. It is a one-time cost. I’m thinking the golf channel is NBC, so perhaps a Hulu subscription might get you there?

https://flixed.io/watch-golf-channel-without-cable/

Good luck!

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 06-12-2021, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
+1. Can’t recommended it enough.
Old 06-12-2021, 04:19 PM

Quote:
… including recording.
Old 06-12-2021, 04:36 PM
Charter Member

I switched from DirectTV to YouTube TV and agree, it’s the best option. However, I don’t think you will save big money from your current $85. However, you will get a whole lot more, including local stations.
Old 06-12-2021, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

True that. YouTube TV weighs in around 65 clams. But that would save you 240 a year.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 06-13-2021, 11:13 AM

We have a Roku box and among a couple other cheap subscriptions the main one we have is Sling TV. we have the orange & blue packages (includes the golf channel). I think it's a total of 60.00/month.

Best phone call I ever made in my life was the one when I told Comcast where they could plug their cable...lol

A bunch of stuff...lol
Old 06-13-2021, 11:30 AM

For those in need. Start by heading over to Bestbuy first thing in the morning and tell one of the sales crew you want to cut the cable and need their help. Make certain you have a list of your must have channels like local and network,s news and financial networks, golf and ESPN, HGTV, TCM? Tell them you need to be educated to make the right decision for your needs. The reason I suggest Bestbuy is that for those that don't know HDMI from TOSLINK, you can arrange for their Geek Squad to do the install and setup and teach you how to run the systems. Good luck!
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 06-13-2021, 02:09 PM

I've used Chromecast for several years. If you have good internet and aren't using an iPhone you can cast nearly anything from the internet to your TV from a desktop, laptop, tablet or phone. And it's a one-time purchase for the dongle vs a subscription service.

Apple makes me use a different app, TVcast which just doesn't work as well.
Old 06-15-2021, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

Cool Looks Good...

Quote:
YT TV looks like it would be perfect for me... I have a few questions, though.

What do you do for a channel guide?

I have a good internet connection that is provided with my little place, but I do share it with the main house/landlord (there's only one person there). Will the YT TV compromise his internet functionality? He's kind of a computer guy, so he'll notice if things start lagging...

With the Cloud storage aspect, can I go in and find, say, episodes of NCIS to watch if I want? Sounds like I can definitely "earmark" shows to be recorded and saved, but how about the rest of it?

Thanks for all the responses thus far. I REALLY appreciate your help and suggestions!
are near...

Old 06-15-2021, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
YT TV looks like it would be perfect for me... I have a few questions, though.

What do you do for a channel guide?
If this is what you mean, this one of the best parts of YouTube.tv. Looks like this:

As you roll over or select any channel, that little screen gives you a preview of what's happening on that channel, so you can see if another channel is in commercial or not. Fantastic. The HOME tab is stuff that you've been watching or stuff they recommend for you based on your watching behavior, and the LIBRARY is all the things you've recorded, which can be a lot.

Also you can totally customize this list, putting the stuff you watch the most at the top, grouping all sports together (if you like) as I have here, and turning off channels you'll never watch. Whatever. Totally configurable. Fantastic.

You can watch on your phone, tablet, laptop, Apple TV, whatever. You can take it with you on vacation and get all your channels.

Quote:
I have a good internet connection that is provided with my little place, but I do share it with the main house/landlord (there's only one person there). Will the YT TV compromise his internet functionality? He's kind of a computer guy, so he'll notice if things start lagging...
Any streaming is going to impact bandwidth. If you have enough, it doesn't matter much. We have up to 4 devices streaming at any one time, never an issue but I can't say anything WRT your setup.

Quote:
With the Cloud storage aspect, can I go in and find, say, episodes of NCIS to watch if I want? Sounds like I can definitely "earmark" shows to be recorded and saved, but how about the rest of it?

Thanks for all the responses thus far. I REALLY appreciate your help and suggestions!
Recording is just one click. You want to record a show? It will automatically record every episode which airs as they come on. Could be the middle of the night. After a while you'll have a whole show with all seasons saved up in your library. Because there's no space constraint, they don't have to make the UI complicated. Recording one is the same as recording them all. It's great.

Last edited by Dirk Hofman; 06-15-2021 at 12:54 PM.
Old 06-15-2021, 06:00 PM

If I was forced to find a shortcoming with YouTube recording it would be that it doesn't always capture the full length of sports events that run long. If you have an event that you suspect might run long, it's a good idea to schedule the program that runs after it, as well. This happens all the time with golf.
Old 06-15-2021, 06:00 PM
Charter Member

Cool Nuts and Bolts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
+1. Can’t recommended it enough.
Dirk (or anyone who knows?),

How does the hook-up happen? Do I cast something from my computer through some gizmo on my TV? What is the physical process of connecting You Tube TV?

I have a 36" flat screen Samsung "Smart" television that's about 5 years old now. On the home screen, I can get to You Tube, as well as Amazon Prime, etc. Will this handle the YT connection?

Thanks... just trying to "look before I leap"!

John
are near...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic