The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-14-2021, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-utim View Post
Additional labor.
A few minutes on a jig doing the headstock slots? I'm not sure that would account for it. Maybe it's a perception thing; slotheads cost more to build and Martin are playing on that? As another contributor noted the price difference between the two models is substantial in Britain, but what accounts for the extra cost is a bit of a mystery.
Volume of sales, maybe? If the OOO-15M sells in bigger quantities it could be the economy of scale keeping the cost lower than the slothead.
Old 06-14-2021, 05:55 AM

So the question is

"Why does it cost more to manufacture a flat piece of wood with six holes drilled through it, finished only on the outer surface, than it does to build up layers of visible, finished wood with a more complex and time consuming machining process?"

The price premium reflects
1. The need for a more complex assembly of "prettier" wood,
2. Maintaining two headstock setups.
3. Maintaining two procedures.
4. Training staff on different procedures
5. Transition time.

And a bunch of other stuff that's specific to how they run things to produce Maximum Boat Paddle.

Variation is SERIOUSLY expensive in a mass production environment. It's not just "Ten minutes on the CNC" it's "Ten minutes when I'm not cranking out twenty or so boat paddles."
Old 06-14-2021, 02:37 PM

I was wondering the same about the price difference and almost went with the 15m but I really like the classical 12 fret I already have so I got the 15sm. What a sweet guitar! The action is perfect and the 1 3/4” nut and string spacing are also perfect. And the sound is delicious, I imagine it only gets better with age.

I hope you enjoy yours!
Old 06-14-2021, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassingThru View Post
I'm buying, when available, a Martin 000-15SM. I can't figure out the reason for the $300 extra cost when compared to the 15M. Anyone have an idea?

Thanks

12-fret guitars should always cost more
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 07-08-2021, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassingThru View Post
Paid the man. Ordered my 000-15SM 30 minutes ago. First guitar I'm buying just on looks and other people's opinions. As the song says, "I'm so excited."
Well, how do you like it? We need the deets
Old 07-08-2021, 07:09 PM
Charter Member

Have not been able to bond with it at all. Plays fine . It’s also my first 12 fret. I think I’m just prefer the tone of a spruce top with rosewood back and sides. In my early days, I played a D-28 for many years. I seem to be locked into that tone. Still having GAS, I purchased a 2000 Martin OM-21 from Charley’s Guitar Shop in Dallas. Held it, played it, and it had my sound of choice.

Unfortunately, bought the 000-15SM from a dealer on Reverb. So, no return.
Old 07-08-2021, 08:55 PM

Default SM

I have a 000-15SM. It sounds very sweet. The nut width is very good for fingerstyle. The price difference is probably the difference in headstock as mentioned previously. SM is also a 12 fret vs. 14 fret. Maybe an upcharge for that too? It's my second best-sounding guitar behind my HD-28 IMO. Just different really- very mellow- smells great too. Keep it a bit longer and play it some more. It may grow on you. Nothing wrong with having more than one guitar. Each of mine sounds different and each inspires me in different ways.

Last edited by DBW; 07-08-2021 at 09:03 PM.
Old 07-08-2021, 09:20 PM
Charter Member

Default 12 Fret Martin 000 Has Longer Body Than 14 Fretter

If the slotted 000-15m your referring to is also a 12 fret, the 12 fret has a bigger body than a 14 fretter. Unlike most other luthiers when Martin builds a 12 fret 000 they "extend" the body up the neck to join at the 12th fret instead of the 14th. The body is bigger/longer, the bracing changes to accommodate this as well. THIS plus the extra cost of slotted head increases the overall cost. IMHO it is why 000 12 frets sound so great, that extra body length/volume adds "something".
Old 07-08-2021, 10:42 PM

Why even asking this?

Look at any (yes absolutely any) guitar companies price difference between solid and laminated back and sides when you and I can buy the material on ebay för 40 dollars all day long ( I bet the all pay way less for the wood).

there is absolutely no extra work involved if you make a guitar with solid woood over making one with laminated back and sides.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion