The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-13-2021, 07:17 PM

Like most others I bring a gig bag with extra strings, cables, amp cord, batteries and a small tool kit. No extra guitar.
Old 06-13-2021, 09:04 PM

I don't take doubles of instruments, other than a 12 string or resonator in addition to the 6 string. No need for batteries, but I bring extra mikes and cables strings, tuners, extension cord, stand lights (hardly ever used)....

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 06-13-2021, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

Used to carry 2 acoustics back when I was playing more, but now I just make sure I’ve got extra strings, a spare capo, a couple spare thumbpicks. And, of course, a .38 snubnose. The wine bar/coffee house scene is pretty rough.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 06-14-2021, 12:21 AM

Hey All!
I haven’t posted in years but I gig a lot and thought I could offer some suggestions.. I have most everything in a gig bag- strings, capos, tuners, straps, batteries, xtra mics, cables, extension cords, tools, clip light, different types of connectors, tape, aspirin 😄 - I also keep an overflow bag of the same in my car- along with xtra mic stands and guitar stands, fan (it’s summer!)..

One thing no one I think has mentioned yet is I keep a Fishman Mini in my car in case I ever have a problem with my PA.. It’s happened in the past and the mini may not cover every situation but it’s certainly better than nothing- especially if my gig is pretty far from home..

Some of it may seem excessive but I host some open mics as well as some songwriter events and sometimes 3 of everything is not enough- especially if someone borrows something (CAPO, TUNER, STRAP, CABLE, BATTERY) then you realize at your next gig that you didn’t get it back!

Mike🎸

Martin D28
Martin DC-16RGTE Aura
Guild F-30rce (New Hartford)
Guild D-40c
Guild D-35s (both Guild Dreads are late 70's Westerley models)
Larrivee 0M-03
Taylor 314ce (Mahogany top)
Frog Level FL-18 (Custom-Martin D-18 style)
Tacoma Chief C1C (sunburst)
Fender F95 (mid 70's beauty-really!)
Sigma GC1 (Martin 00-18 style)
Takamine EG128sc (nylon)
Old 06-14-2021, 03:33 AM

It depends on the gig. Short one-off shows like community appearances, variety shows, etc, I take whatever guitar(s) suit the music. If that requires more than one, then the back-up is pretty much built in to the job. If I only really need one guitar for the show I will add a back-up just in case. Every show requires the kit bag with cords, strings, stands, tools, etc.
Old 06-14-2021, 05:18 AM
Charter Member

Just a short story about backup cables. I played a charity gig one night and at the end some folks helped tear down and pack up my gear (big mistake!). I just left everything in my trunk since I had a gig the following night. As I was setting up for the next night's gig I searched frantically for a mic cable, only to realize that one of the well-intended helpers had not packed it back in my gig bag. Since I'm not a good enough guitarist to pull off 3 hours of instrumentals, this was quite the problem!

Lesson learned- from then on I packed at least one extra for every type of cable I used. And I double-checked everything to make sure I had these in my little rolling bag before heading out. I'll also second the need for spare batteries and duck tape, you just never know when you'll need to secure cables, etc. I also kept a small box of bandaids, which I needed a few times. And my little Roland CM-30 Cube lived in my trunk as a sort of an 'emergency PA' in case it was ever needed.
Old 06-14-2021, 07:42 AM

I usually bring two guitars tuned differently. Exactly how they’re tuned depends on my set lists. I change my strings often so breaks are rare but if I do break a string I just use the other guitar.

If I’m only bringing one guitar, I have an extra set of strings and some wire nippers.

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 06-14-2021, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

I always have a back up guitar, one set of extra strings, wire cutters, one extra cable.
Old 06-14-2021, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone eskimo View Post
One thing no one I think has mentioned yet is I keep a Fishman Mini in my car in case I ever have a problem with my PA.. It’s happened in the past and the mini may not cover every situation but it’s certainly better than nothing- especially if my gig is pretty far from home..
I've done this with my Fishman Loudbox Mini and it has saved my bacon. Easy to leave in the car if you don't need it.
Old 06-14-2021, 09:57 AM

In addition to the equipment backups already suggested, I bring an emergency 'repair kit' consisting of basic tools, nylon zip ties, duct tape, and super glue.

Just this past weekend I dropped my glass slide on the concrete floor and it broke (no spare *head slap*!) but the super glue repair got me through the gig.
Old 06-14-2021, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
What do you bring to gigs as backup? Extra strings, cables, batteries, backup guitar?
Hi jkl-etc…

I don't think of it as back-up but survival gear. I have to adapt myself (grafting my rig into someone else's system) a lot. That often takes parts they don't have and cannot provide.

My gear bag…

just over a foot tall…only offered by Taylor for a year or two 'way-back-when'. I wanted a second for a backup and located the company who made them for Taylor and bought another. They since seem to have also gone out of business.

Handiest gear bag ever…
Weighs in at about 25 pounds (loaded), stacks neatly having square corners. Three levels plus a drop in drawer on top level, and access to the mid-level section via the back.

It houses truss rod adjusters in 4 sizes (plus a set of metric and imperial allen wrenches), a single source acoustic preamp, and a dual source spare preamp. XLR and ¼" patch cables, a cloud lifter, and full length (at least 10 feet) guitar cables in both mono and TRS.

It also houses a DTAR Solstice preamp in the bottom section.

A couple sets of strings (two weights), patch cables plus a couple passive DI boxes for connecting gear into the mains. Tuners, tools, loaner preamps for stage use.

Not having broken a string in over 15 years, I only brought a backup guitar to a gig on one occasion when we had 3 acoustic players on stage at a men's convention with over 700 men attending, and I was concerned someone might throw a string. It was there for all of us to use. Used once in 5 different band sessions.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-14-2021, 10:37 AM

Like others, I have a bag that contains spare mic cables, guitar cables, tuners, strings, capos, picks, small tools, gaffer tape.

I do not bring a spare guitar or microphone.

Even though I always have spare strings, I haven't EVER broken a string in 45 years of performing.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion