The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Which Guitar Do You Prefer?
Guitar #1 20 28.57%
Guitar #2 50 71.43%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-13-2021, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Very nice! Don't see too many Traditional Collings guitars with a drop in saddle.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 06-13-2021, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Many thanks again to everyone who took the time to listen, comment, and vote! The guitars are as follow.........

The Collings is a Satin finish Traditional (non-baked) and has the newer 2020 neck reinforcement. It is the most Martin-like Collings I've played to date, and also one of the singular most impressive newer guitars I've owned. Its sound is evolving rapidly as the top continues to break in, and I expect to own this one for a long time. It's terrific.

Thanks again, everyone!
And thank you Lange and Critter for helping Collings
Old 06-13-2021, 11:10 AM

Brencat - I guessed right... I said I wanted both those guitars . A couple of wonderful ones right there. I liked this thread.
Old 06-13-2021, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

Well....that certainly blows my "Collings guitars are too bright and harsh" thoughts out of the water ! Thanks for posting that....awesome.
Old 06-13-2021, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

Hey! I nailed it!! So, I win the showcase, right? Both guitars, right? RIGHT???
Old 06-13-2021, 12:11 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Yup…not surprised I chose the Collings Traditional dread. Love mine…and being four years old it’s nicely broken in. Thanks for the fun test!

Old 06-13-2021, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Ahh, the old rosewood mahogany trick. Fell for it again; should have known.

I ALWAYS prefer mahogany on these recordings. (I voted #1.) I guess it just records better to my ear. With your reveal, I can hear that rosewood high end. In person, I go 50/50. Our mics just miss something about rosewood (something that my ears like in person, anyway. I'm in the minority since #2 won by more than 2:1).

Thanks again.
Old 06-13-2021, 01:47 PM

Those newer Collings traditionals, 2019?(I think) or so when the neck redesign occurred, are awesome sounding. To my ears I like them better than the previous generation...prob cuz they sound more Martinesque
Old 06-13-2021, 02:36 PM

I guess I truly am becoming a Collings man!!
Scott
Old 06-13-2021, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Brencat - I guessed right... I said I wanted both those guitars . A couple of wonderful ones right there. I liked this thread.
Thanks very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinaz View Post
Well....that certainly blows my "Collings guitars are too bright and harsh" thoughts out of the water ! Thanks for posting that....awesome.
You have a valid point...about their regular line. But yes the 2020 Traditionals are their best yet, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Hey! I nailed it!! So, I win the showcase, right? Both guitars, right? RIGHT???
You absolutely did nail the mahogany vs rosewood distinction. Let's see, you win a....hmmm. How about a duck ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopeda View Post
Ahh, the old rosewood mahogany trick. Fell for it again; should have known.

I ALWAYS prefer mahogany on these recordings. (I voted #1.) I guess it just records better to my ear. With your reveal, I can hear that rosewood high end. In person, I go 50/50. Our mics just miss something about rosewood (something that my ears like in person, anyway. I'm in the minority since #2 won by more than 2:1).

Thanks again.
Merrills have a lot going on with a lot of rich harmonics and nuance. Mahogany or Rosewood makes no difference. It's all about the Adi top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotso View Post
Those newer Collings traditionals, 2019?(I think) or so when the neck redesign occurred, are awesome sounding. To my ears I like them better than the previous generation...prob cuz they sound more Martinesque
Indeed. The new neck reinforcement was a 2020 model change and occurred at serial #30400. There are a few made prior to this, but you would have to call Collings to confirm. Their records are meticulous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
It's almost as though both recordings were the same guitar, but #1 had lights and #2 were mediums.
I did not want to leave this unresolved for you. The Merrill is strung with DR Sunbeam PB Lights (12 - 54) several days old, while the Collings is wearing Martin 12.5 - 55 Light Medium PBs about 3 weeks old.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 06-13-2021, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Merrills have a lot going on with a lot of rich harmonics and nuance. Mahogany or Rosewood makes no difference. It's all about the Adi top.
Interesting! I've never played an Indian rosewood guitar that sounded anything like a mahogany guitar (Martin Authentics, Boutiques, name it...), but, then again, I've never played a Merrill. I'll take your word for it! OM with dreadnought power and mahogany that sounds like Brazilian. That there is grail talk. Nice playing!
Old 06-21-2021, 04:40 PM

Number two

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion