The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-09-2021, 09:14 PM

Default Newbie question: how to amplify a D18?

Hi all,

I want to amplify my D18, mainly for recording purposes. I don’t have the option of acoustically treating a room so I am looking at installing a pickup. I have tried soundhole pickups but they don’t work for me as the recording picks up a lot of the harsh picking sounds.

I am looking for a simple setup which adds only minimal weight to the guitar, with an authentic tone as possible, and I only want to drill a hole for the end jack.

1. Is the K&k Mini my only option? If so, can anyone recommend a pre-amp to match for around $500 USD?
2. How would the chain work in the recording process? That is, once installed, does the guitar plug in to the pre-amp which plugs in to the audio interface?

FWIW, at this stage I am recording just using an IRig Pro Duo interface with my iPhone and iOS GarageBand.
Old 10-10-2021, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parasko View Post
Hi all,

I want to amplify my D18, mainly for recording purposes. I don’t have the option of acoustically treating a room so I am looking at installing a pickup. I have tried soundhole pickups but they don’t work for me as the recording picks up a lot of the harsh picking sounds.

I am looking for a simple setup which adds only minimal weight to the guitar, with an authentic tone as possible, and I only want to drill a hole for the end jack.

1. Is the K&k Mini my only option? If so, can anyone recommend a pre-amp to match for around $500 USD?
2. How would the chain work in the recording process? That is, once installed, does the guitar plug in to the pre-amp which plugs in to the audio interface?

FWIW, at this stage I am recording just using an IRig Pro Duo interface with my iPhone and iOS GarageBand.
Even though this is in "Acoustic Amplification" with a thread title that would lead some to respond with live sound experiences, it appears that you are asking about a pickup for recording.

I know what you mean about pick noise. I use an iRig Acoustic Stage sometimes and it knows all issues with my pick technique. I use the iRig because the space in my home office "Studio B" is just too small to fit a mic in there to capture an acoustic guitar. The iRig is simple to use and inexpensive, and I can get results that are acceptable to me even with the sensitivity to pick noise.

Even with room issues, I'd still suggest a microphone. It's going to sound better or more like an acoustic guitar, even with inexpensive mics. Close mic'ing will mitigate some room issues.

If you still want to pursue the pickup, I'd suppose that a Tonedexter or it's competitors might give you the best results along with the pickup type best suited for the device, such as the K&K or the pickup AudioSprockets/Tonedexter sells. The Tonedexter is a preamp that also adjusts the sound from the pickup to match the sound a microphone would up from outside your guitar. You will need a mic at least for setup, in order to to train the Tonedexter to what that sound goal is.

Yes, the output from a preamp goes into the input on your interface, typically via as 1/4 inch to 1/4 inch "guitar" cable.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 10-10-2021, 01:43 PM

You already got the ToneDexter suggestion — that’s a good one (though not a “cheap and cheerful” starting price — you’ll also need to put in a decent quality under-saddle or soundboard pickup so figure $500-600 starting price if you are buying new).

The other two ideas that come to mind are:

1. An LR Baggs Lyric. It’s actually a mic not a pickup. Some people love it for playing live … some hate it … but I think for recording as an alternative to an external mic it can be pretty good. $200 + install (if you aren’t able to install it yourself).

2. A combination mag / mic pickup like the Seymour Duncan MagMic or Baggs Rare Earth Blend. Similar price tag. This will give you a different tone range than a mic, of course. Check out YouTube videos to get a sense of what they will sound like. But they can still sound pretty good, and better than a piezo based pickup with that direct-to-board sound. Also if you are planning to add effects in post-production it’s the perfect starting point. If you don’t want the pickup permanently installed you can just take it out after each use (so no install fee if you use it that way).
Old 10-10-2021, 02:48 PM

You will never get the natural sound of your guitar with a pickup, no matter what you use. It will sound like an electric guitar.
You don't have to spend a lot to get a great mic. I use MXL V67G large diaphragm mics and they sound very natural. You don't have to have any acoustic treatment. A rug on the floor is the most important. Put the mic close to the guitar and you will not get much reflected room sound. The V67G is a cardioid mic so it rejects sound from the rear. Get a Scarlett analog interface.
Here is a video I made with my mics about 2 feet away. No room treatment.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 10-11-2021, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

I agree with the previous reply, just use a mic. You'll get the purest acoustic tone and it won't interfere with your acoustic sound.

You don't need an expensive mic. I have a $24 Behringer 8500, that was recommended to me here when I asked about Shure mics and I'm very happy with it for home use.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification