The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-24-2021, 11:37 AM

Cool! Glad you got an encore and that the Sable shined. “No muss no fuss” is the reason I care at all about carbon fiber in the first place.

No doubt you performed first class, so the following commentary isn’t aimed at you. As for direct amplification, that’s also pretty cool but what passes as good acoustic tone to many sound board folk isn’t in agreement with how picky I am. McPherson claims that they collaborated with LR Baggs to EQ the Element to their CF series. Not sure how braided wire gets “EQ’d” but glad there are people way smarter than me to do these things.

How about you David? Seems that you also have discerning tastes considering the ownership of such a fine preamp (Grace Design is up the hill from me and in the same city I was baptized in). Were you happy with the tone or could you even tell?
Old 08-24-2021, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
How about you David? Seems that you also have discerning tastes considering the ownership of such a fine preamp (Grace Design is up the hill from me and in the same city I was baptized in). Were you happy with the tone or could you even tell?
I can count on one hand the times that I wasn't surprised (good and bad) by the sound through the PA when I wasn't running it.

We've played bars where the patrons were loud and not listening, but the sound was really enjoyable. And we've played churches where everyone was intently listening to our grotesque feedback-riddled hot mess.

The sound at the big arena yesterday was quite good. The reflection took a bit of getting used to, but I was very happy with my own tone.

I was an early adopter of the Tonedexter, and it took years for me to finally decide to scrap the very idea of "my guitar only louder". Now my criteria is different.

Clarity, separation of notes, overall string to string balance, pleasing tone independent of how "my guitar-like" the sound is. If I can get this, I'm good.

I have to constantly remind myself that the audience barely gives a crap about my tone. They want to be entertained. A good story. My own on-stage enthusiasm and enjoyment. Our banter. Great rhythm. Some songs that they know and love. A thousand little things.

Another performer whom I very much admire come up last night and complimented how relaxed and enjoyable my stage presence was. Yeah. You better believe I've worked on that.

But I also have some great tools in the Sable and the Felix.

Last edited by buzzardwhiskey; 08-24-2021 at 12:15 PM.
Old 08-24-2021, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Sounds like a great experience. So when you get your CEO-7 back from whatever repairs you're having done to it, do you think it will take back the #1 spot, or do you think the Sable has supplanted it?

-Ray
Old 08-24-2021, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
Sounds like a great experience. So when you get your CEO-7 back from whatever repairs you're having done to it, do you think it will take back the #1 spot, or do you think the Sable has supplanted it?

-Ray
I just got a name of a good luthier, Tom Middlen, here in town. I intend to have it brought to a good shape and then sell it.

Old 08-24-2021, 02:07 PM

David: “I intend to have it brought back to a good shape and then sell it”
Ray: goes and purchases a Sable 😂
Old 08-24-2021, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
David: “I intend to have it brought back to a good shape and then sell it”
Ray: goes and purchases a Sable 😂
I’ve actually been thinking of getting a Sable (from someplace with a decent return policy) and, depending how much I like it, returning it or selling the CEO-7. I kind of don’t want to - I LOVE the CEO-7 and I’m sure I’d regret selling it at some point. But I’m not playing it much and if I can find a CF guitar I really like and is a decent contrast to my 000-28EC (which seems to be my #1 now, or the honeymoon is just really long), I’d love to have a CF I could leave out and play when the humidity is really high or low. Beating out the CEO-7 is a tall order, but David’s impression is a data point toward at least trying a Sable.

-Ray
Old 08-24-2021, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I’ve actually been thinking of getting a Sable (from someplace with a decent return policy) and, depending how much I like it, returning it or selling the CEO-7. I kind of don’t want to - I LOVE the CEO-7 and I’m sure I’d regret selling it at some point. But I’m not playing it much and if I can find a CF guitar I really like and is a decent contrast to my 000-28EC (which seems to be my #1 now, or the honeymoon is just really long), I’d love to have a CF I could leave out and play when the humidity is really high or low. Beating out the CEO-7 is a tall order, but David’s impression is a data point toward at least trying a Sable.

-Ray
The CEO-7 is such a lovely guitar. I'm serious. For pure unplugged tone in THE most delightful package, I simply haven't found better. I can see holding on to it and having to feed it and baby it so that I can record with it, but at the same time my swing away from having to dedicate that level of care to a guitar is well underway.
Old 08-24-2021, 02:54 PM

Default I just ordered a McPherson Sable

I’ve not played a CEO-7 but I do love a good Martin. Just goofing’ with you guys. The Sable is just a marvel of modern materials and design. Matt really is onto something and I don’t think it is the last we will see from McPherson.
Old 08-24-2021, 02:55 PM

I'm playing solo tomorrow outside. I normally play my Rick Turner Renaissance guitars plugged in for various reasons, but since I'll probably sit while I play due to the nature of the event, I'll probably take my Sable since it's going to be 91 degrees outside...... I was contemplating a Martin or Taylor, but having second thoughts. I'd love to have the onboard eq and Aura though.... lol. Nobody will know except me anyway.
Old 08-24-2021, 03:15 PM

A while back I got rid of the awful original tuners on the CEO7 and replaced them with Gotoh's. These are just sublime, and I'd love to replace the Schallers on my Sable with something like them.

The Schallers are OK, but one of them has a bit of play.

I think I've tried every major brand out there now and the Gotoh's are king. It would be really super if Gotoh had some form of locking system.
Old 08-24-2021, 08:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
I'm playing solo tomorrow outside. I normally play my Rick Turner Renaissance guitars plugged in for various reasons, but since I'll probably sit while I play due to the nature of the event, I'll probably take my Sable since it's going to be 91 degrees outside...... I was contemplating a Martin or Taylor, but having second thoughts. I'd love to have the onboard eq and Aura though.... lol. Nobody will know except me anyway.
If anybody gives you any grief about the weird looking Sable, tell them Eric Clapton plays one when nobody is looking.

Since I have not played out since getting mine, I don't know what people's reactions would be. My wife likes it, but then the honeycomb top reminds of her of a quilt, which is her hobby.

Tony
Old 08-25-2021, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
If anybody gives you any grief about the weird looking Sable, tell them Eric Clapton plays one when nobody is looking.

Since I have not played out since getting mine, I don't know what people's reactions would be. My wife likes it, but then the honeycomb top reminds of her of a quilt, which is her hobby.

Tony
I can't imagine anyone will notice. It's some kind of corporate women's function cocktail reception.
Old 08-25-2021, 06:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
I can't imagine anyone will notice. It's some kind of corporate women's function cocktail reception.
You might be surprised. Guitar pickers can pop anywhere.

Tony
Old 08-25-2021, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
You might be surprised. Guitar pickers can pop anywhere.

Tony
It's irrelevant now. LOL. Due to possible rain, they're moving me inside and I want to try my Martin OMC Aura I recently setup.
Old 08-25-2021, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

I used to have a CEO-7, I liked it a lot, sold it to move to an OM-28 besides sounding good, it is a thing of beauty. I wouldn't mind owning one, but I wouldn't trade my Sable for one. Too many dang good guitars out there !!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber