The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-05-2012, 06:50 AM

Go to 2:55 on this video.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ZamarGee.../2/GT4VwkeZQUE

I show a technique that I learned when studying classical guitar that really helps train muscle memory to make awkward chord changes become easy and natural feeling.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:55 AM

You're asking about THE most basic function of playing guitar... you surely must be a beginner at this point. TIME is the only thing that is going to bring improvement. Be patient - it's of paramount importance. And ENJOY the process. Don't sweat the inevitable flubs. When you get a proper rhythm going on one chord, keep plugging away at that chord until you literally can't stand the sound of it anymore. All the while, be envisioning the finger position for the next chord and practice going for the change. Practice going for the change over and over exclusively until you've nailed it. It's the only way it's going to happen. The most important thing is to convince yourself that you're having fun and this isn't a dreaded chore. Believe me, I know what I'm talking about. I'm currently engaged in learning fingerstyle playing - which is almost totally foreign to me. But I'm having fun every step of the way, and it's not imaginary. I've taught a number of beginners - some get onto strum patterns quickly - others struggle with it for quite some time. Wherever you fall in this example - just keep at it. Remember, some of the most famous guitarists of any generation have been blind from birth. If THEY can do it - surely you can. Just remember it IS going to take a certain amount of time and endless practice. Sadly, there is no viable short cut. Go for it and don't look back!

Last edited by DaveKell; 02-06-2012 at 10:56 AM. Reason: spelling

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write