The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2021, 06:31 AM

I'm trying to get through Cry Macho- SMH- I've not seen the movie but the book doesn't impress me enough to want to either.
Old 10-04-2021, 06:58 AM

Finished Cry Macho yesterday- it had a good ending. Thankfully.
Old 10-04-2021, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

"Wayfaring Stranger" by Emma John. It is a story about a British classical trained violinist and journalist who comes to the U.S. in search of bluegrass music. It is a very interesting read and she is a good writer. Not only does she find bluegrass, but her descriptions and impressions of the people she meets along the way are insightful.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 10-06-2021, 07:54 AM

I'm about 1/3 of the way through The Girl Who Plays With Fire- a friend loaned it, and The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest and told me to read The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo first since it set the stage for the sequels- I agreed since I had seen it many times at walmart believing I could- I haven't seen it there since

I ran out of other books to read so I started it and now find it hard to put down
Old 10-06-2021, 08:32 AM

I'm working my way through the complete works of F. Scott Fitzgerald.
Old 10-14-2021, 05:47 PM

OK, having finished Stephen Walker's "Beyond" a couple weeks ago, I immediately went looking for more by this author, and found his "Shockwave: Countdown to Hiroshima".

Nothing here about Europe, Hitler, and barely a mention of Roosevelt. Instead, it zeros in on the three weeks leading up to the dropping of the bomb - the Los Alamos testing, the crews and scientists that made it possible, Truman's justification for using it, and its impact not only on the Japanese, but on the world.

That narrow focus is what makes it so readable in my opinion. Call it a "war book" for people that don't read "war books". It barely even mentions Nagasaki and the eventual end of the war. Those would be different stories. It's just that laser-beam focused on Hiroshima.

Apparently, this was a NY Times Bestseller when it came out in 2006. I don't pay a lot of attention to that usually, but I can understand why. It was another well researched and really good book by Mr. Walker. Highly recommend it.

Old 10-14-2021, 06:44 PM
AGF Administrator

Cloud Cuckoo Land by Anthony Doerr.
Old 10-14-2021, 09:19 PM
Charter Member

20 Under 40

Interesting and really diverse collection of 20 short fiction pieces published at various times in the New Yorker. Authors are all under 40 years old, and a few are now on my list to find more of their books. Particularly Karen Russell.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/20-under-40-fiction
Old 10-15-2021, 01:44 PM

I just finished The Lost Symbol. The overall plot is similar to the Da Vinci Code/Angels and Demons but it did have a couple of unexpected twists at the end. Great book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol. Book # 3 of the Robert Langdon series.

Old 10-15-2021, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highroller View Post
OK, having finished Stephen Walker's "Beyond" a couple weeks ago, I immediately went looking for more by this author, and found his "Shockwave: Countdown to Hiroshima".
So glad you enjoyed Beyond!

In turn, I've taken your recommendation, and have a copy of Shockwave on the way.

Right now I'm halfway through David Copperfield, so it might be a little while until I get to it
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 10-15-2021, 09:15 PM
AGF Sponsor

Shockwave sounds great, right up my alley. Appreciate the rec.

BTW, if you're a huge WW2 buff like me, and even more so if you're obsessed with the Manhattan Project and Los Alamos and all the inner workings of the project, the absolute definitive and exhaustively researched history on that subject is THE MAKING OF THE ATOMIC BOMB by Richard Rhodes. I couldn't put it down and have read it cover to cover at least three times. It won the Pulitzer Prize for Nonfiction the year it came out, and well deserved. Just brilliant.

https://www.amazon.com/Making-Atomic...354066&sr=8-14

I'm certain part of my obsession with that era comes from my father's stories of serving in the Phillipines during WW2. He was frontline infantry and probably would have died had he not gotten malaria and been hospitalized for many months. He also served occupation forces under McCarthur for since months after the war ended. They were indeed the greatest generation.

Take Care, Everyone,
Scott

Last edited by Charmed Life Picks; 10-15-2021 at 09:21 PM.
Old 10-15-2021, 10:55 PM

Default ME

Jack London's sort of autobiography. The book is called Martin Eden. The initials of course spell me.
Old 10-16-2021, 05:34 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Ted Templeman: A Platinum Producer's Life in Music, by Templeman & Renoff

It's a great trip through Ted's work as producer of The Doobie Brothers, Van Halen, Van Morrison, Carly Simon, Montrose, and many others. You have to get through his childhood but once you hit his career is is compelling.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-16-2021, 01:41 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post

Ted Templeman: A Platinum Producer's Life in Music, by Templeman & Renoff

It's a great trip through Ted's work as producer of The Doobie Brothers, Van Halen, Van Morrison, Carly Simon, Montrose, and many others. You have to get through his childhood but once you hit his career is is compelling.

Bob
Bob, great minds think alike. I don't buy too many books these days, as the Los Angeles Library system is fab, with dozens of locations. Just go in put a book on Hold and they transfer it to you.

That being said, I've been in cue on this one for months. I just looked last night and I'm first in line, so I get the next one.

BTW, Renoff, the coauthor, is a huge Van Halen guy and wrote the definitive book about them.

sm
Old 10-16-2021, 06:03 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Bob, great minds think alike. I don't buy too many books these days, as the Los Angeles Library system is fab, with dozens of locations. Just go in put a book on Hold and they transfer it to you.

That being said, I've been in cue on this one for months. I just looked last night and I'm first in line, so I get the next one.

BTW, Renoff, the coauthor, is a huge Van Halen guy and wrote the definitive book about them.

sm
I'm near a one-in-one-out situation on books. My shelves are three deep and there are stacks in the bedroom. I've taken to putting them on my Christmas list so my wife can have some control, but I think I'll be trading some in to the used book place soon.

I am still on my mini-vacation from the Winston Churchill World War Two series. I'm in the middle of book five and just needed a break from the heaviness.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic