The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-14-2021, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ds114 View Post
I agree with you about the unacceptable nature of the email content in a business world, but... why is it automatically assumed that his "hate" is some -ism or some -ogeny and that it was directed at everyone who has something in common with the actual subject of the comment?

We know what he called Roger. Does he think that of all sports commissioners?.. of all lawyers?.. of all people named Roger??? Or just the guy he had a beef with? (hmm)

Would the narrative be the same if he made fun of Andy Dalton's or Jeff Garcia's complexion or the girth of a 375lb lineman?
Unacceptable is unacceptable. What he did was totally out of bounds for a leader, period. The rest is (to me) just noise and bound for an argument with someone. He's responsible for his actions, and for me that's the end of it WRT Gruden.

I think there are larger questions about what hasn't been leaked and why, and why the NFL is burying the WFT investigation. But when something is simply unacceptable, hashing out the whatabout-isms doesn't enter into it.
Old 10-14-2021, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

My guess is that Gruden is part of a culture much like the one I lived with in the buildings trades. Guys on the job sites I worked on told the most racist and misogynistic jokes fathomable. At the end of the day it was just talk and their reprehensible jokes and banter never amounted to anything in terms of their actual behavior towards those they targeted. Nor do I believe that most of them carried that bs in their hearts. That doesn’t make it OK or excusable .but it’s important to note that even good people can fall into the trap of cultural racism. Understanding that could make it easier to reduce such behavior.
Old 10-14-2021, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
My guess is that Gruden is part of a culture much like the one I lived with in the buildings trades. Guys on the job sites I worked on told the most racist and misogynistic jokes fathomable. At the end of the day it was just talk and their reprehensible jokes and banter never amounted to anything in terms of their actual behavior towards those they targeted. Nor do I believe that most of them carried that bs in their hearts. That doesn’t make it OK or excusable .but it’s important to note that even good people can fall into the trap of cultural racism. Understanding that could make it easier to reduce such behavior.
I wish I could say I never ever participated in any of this type of behavior or commentary. I can’t.
I also wish I could believe most people haven’t. I can’t.
To denigrate anyone in any case… inarguably wrong.
YMMV.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 10-14-2021 at 04:47 PM.
Old 11-12-2021, 09:10 PM
Charter Member

Default Gruden Is Out In Vegas...

Gruden files suit against the NFL and Goodell. His attorney is asking the very common question: Why were Gruden’s emails the only ones made public out of the 650,000 that were reviewed?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...as-raiders-job
Old 11-12-2021, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edcmat-l1 View Post
Gruden will sue the league. The league will settle. He'll never have to work again.
I respectfully disagree. If Gruden sues, he’ll only open Pandora’s box on himself further. I very much doubt that he’ll want to do that.

AMI-Guitars Left Handed DMC-1STEL 1

Recording King Dirty 30s Series 7 Parlor
Old 11-12-2021, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsehockey View Post
I respectfully disagree. If Gruden sues, he’ll only open Pandora’s box on himself further. I very much doubt that he’ll want to do that.
I believe he has already filed in Nevada.
Old 11-12-2021, 10:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

It may be the “Scorched Earth Policy” being deployed- but he has already filed.
Old 11-12-2021, 10:15 PM
Charter Member

I suspect that those 650,000 emails will be supeonaed and become public record- which,imaginably, could be catastrophic for the NFL. They have to settle.
I’m sure Gruden plans on making it as painful for the NFL as possible.
Old 11-12-2021, 10:56 PM

Quote:
He may presume that even if more come out, that they will be no worse than what has already been released. So what does he have to lose? His coaching career is finished. He will never get another job as a television commentator.

And it is a question that a lot of people have asked: why only Gruden's emails out of 650,000 emails? Was he targeted? In the nation of Denmark is the odor of decay...
Old 11-13-2021, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Timing.........
Old 11-13-2021, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRose View Post
I suspect that those 650,000 emails will be supeonaed and become public record- which,imaginably, could be catastrophic for the NFL. They have to settle.
I’m sure Gruden plans on making it as painful for the NFL as possible.
Gruden could make his $100M salary from this. Or perhaps even better far less money but with a public apology from Goodell.
Old 11-13-2021, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Gruden could make his $100M salary from this. Or perhaps even better far less money but with a public apology from Goodell.

Whoever outed Gruden did not think things through to a logical conclusion in our present day and age.
I suspect the only thing more expensive for the NFL than settling with Gruden would be allowing the emails to go public.
Old 11-13-2021, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRose View Post
Whoever outed Gruden did not think things through to a logical conclusion in our present day and age.
I suspect the only thing more expensive for the NFL than settling with Gruden would be allowing the emails to go public.
Exactly. And that's the conundrum. That's why they'll settle. And it will be yuge! LOL

Career assassination. It's a real thing. I foresee many more lawsuits everywhere just based on the way things are going in general.

Last edited by edcmat-l1; 11-13-2021 at 01:28 PM.
Old 11-14-2021, 08:19 PM

Looks like Gruden filed on Friday.

Quote:
"The complaint alleges that the defendants selectively leaked Gruden's private correspondence to the Wall Street Journal and New York Times in order to harm Gruden's reputation and force him out of his job," Hosmer-Henner said. "There is no explanation or justification for why Gruden's emails were the only ones made public out of the 650,000 emails collected in the NFL's investigation of the Washington Football Team or for why the emails were held for months before being released in the middle of the Raiders' season."
Yeah. I guess maybe Gruden has to show that the NFL leaked the emails? If that can be established not sure the NFL is going to want to go through discovery in all this. Personally as I find Gruden’s email communications abhorrent and I’m not worried about his finances, my main hope is that a great deal of whatever the NFL seems to want to bury comes out.
Old 11-14-2021, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Doesn't really matter, though. He's not likely to ever work again, anyway...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic