The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-18-2019, 04:32 PM

Btw, in googling for this: “boss ad-10 independent channel eq”, I found an amazon review where the guy described making this work, but he manually assigned each eq a patch in memory- I have not yet touched the memory functions, I just did as described in my last post. It may be that there’s a bug that affects done but not other units... or maybe the manual is just really vague and there really is some repeatable way to do this.
Old 10-11-2021, 07:03 AM

I bought this effect this week and was desperate for inaccuracies in the manual. I also couldn't create an independent EQ like you. I didn't find any other thread, only this one, that would deal with this problem. I wrote a question to groups on facebook and no one wrote it down. Today, however, I noticed one thing when setting up independent IQ, and I have a hypothesis. The independent EQ setting will take effect if the EQ potentiometers are 50. I found out as follows, I set one parameter on the EQ extreme to 99. I finished the setting and moved the potentiometer. And when I put it back in position 50, it played the way it was "saved" in the system settings. Or I set the EQ level to 0 and after saving I returned the level to 50. I turned off the device and after turning it on at 50 it was silent. Or I set the bass to 70 and saved the setting. At 50 it sounded like 70, even during the movement from 50 to 70 the sound did not change at all. So my theory is that storing an independent EQ works if the potentiometers are at 50. In a way, it would make sense to me, because if I set channel 1 and channel 2 differently, the potentiometers will always be in a different position than they were. So polo 50 could be the default.
I would like someone to confirm or refute my theory. well thank you
Old 10-11-2021, 08:53 AM

I don't have or use this unit, but I wonder if Boss/Roland may use the same design for adjusting parameters as Zoom uses in some of its digital recorders? This trips up more users than any other single feature, involving the position of the level controls for input channels.

The Zoom product sets the parameters to memory for fader position and if a different project is selected the fader must "cross" a previously memorized point before any change can take effect.

Roland/Boss may be using the same type of control scheme, but without much of an explanation in its documentation. As related in the previous post, "knob position" means nothing when switching between patches, so it makes sense that the knob would have to cross the actual patch adjustment point before the device knows that you want to change the parameter from where it was saved previously.

Just throwing this out for users who think they have a malfunctioning unit, even though it may be operating as designed.
Old 10-11-2021, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cambi View Post
I bought this effect this week and was desperate for inaccuracies in the manual. I also couldn't create an independent EQ like you. I didn't find any other thread, only this one, that would deal with this problem. I wrote a question to groups on facebook and no one wrote it down. Today, however, I noticed one thing when setting up independent IQ, and I have a hypothesis. The independent EQ setting will take effect if the EQ potentiometers are 50. I found out as follows, I set one parameter on the EQ extreme to 99. I finished the setting and moved the potentiometer. And when I put it back in position 50, it played the way it was "saved" in the system settings. Or I set the EQ level to 0 and after saving I returned the level to 50. I turned off the device and after turning it on at 50 it was silent. Or I set the bass to 70 and saved the setting. At 50 it sounded like 70, even during the movement from 50 to 70 the sound did not change at all. So my theory is that storing an independent EQ works if the potentiometers are at 50. In a way, it would make sense to me, because if I set channel 1 and channel 2 differently, the potentiometers will always be in a different position than they were. So polo 50 could be the default.
I would like someone to confirm or refute my theory. well thank you
no it doesnt work here.
I have verified that as long as we are in eq settings (purple led) independent eq settings are in use and saved in the patch.
but once i exit the settings, they are no more used. enter again settings, and they are still there as we wanted.
So the problem is that apparently although correctly saved , eq params are not used out of that purple led eq setup.

This said, if you want to know current knob setting press exit and then turn the knob, you will read the current value.
its in the manual that for me is very well written.
I hope they fix this bug though.
Old 10-12-2021, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe.Manganese View Post
no it doesnt work here.
I have verified that as long as we are in eq settings (purple led) independent eq settings are in use and saved in the patch.
but once i exit the settings, they are no more used. enter again settings, and they are still there as we wanted.
So the problem is that apparently although correctly saved , eq params are not used out of that purple led eq setup.

This said, if you want to know current knob setting press exit and then turn the knob, you will read the current value.
its in the manual that for me is very well written.
I hope they fix this bug though.
---
Today I came up with another attempt and I confirm my hypothesis. I connected an A / B switch between BOSS and the guitar. This means that I played with one guitar in both inputs, respectively. I switched between inputs. At the same time, I set the gain for both inputs to a minimum to guarantee the same guitar sound for both channels. I set an independent EQ for each channel in the system settings, so that I set the selected potentiometer on input 1, e.g. bass to 0 and input 2 to 99. After saving, I returned the potentiometer to 50 and switched between channels. The sound changed as I set it in the system settings. Even though I turned off and turned on the device it worked the same way.
So the stand-alone EQ setting works, but the potentiometers must return to 50 after setting.

But what I noticed and that is the error that after making the system settings, I moved the potentiometer to the value of e.g. 80, I did it separately for each channel (not in system settings mode). This means that both channels should sound the same because the potentiometer was at a different value than it was set in the system settings and at the same time at a value other than 50. When I switched between channels, they sounded different and at the same time different from the system settings. This means that the system settings seem to recalibrate the default value from which the new value is set. I don't know if it's corruptible. I will try another way, in the system settings there is e.g. bass for channel 1 set to 0, for channel 2 to 99, I'm leaving the setting. Then I turn on channel 1 and move the bass from 0 to 60 and on channels 2 from 99 to 60 and the guitars sound different. However, this error is acceptable in principle, because if the system settings do not suit me, I will make the change in the system settings again.
Old 12-26-2021, 04:33 PM

Default Boss AD-10 - can't get independent EQ on each input channel

I bought this unit a couple of weeks ago and I want to use it as a Blender so it's important to me to have independent eq. I've been trying different approaches commented here and I think I get it now. This is how it works (at least in my unit, there might be faulty units):

_By pressing Exit+Tuner you enter Independent eq (purple light). Once you're there you only can adjust one channel. If you adjust channel 1 and jump to channel 2 the knob will follows last setting (you set Lows at 60 on Channel 1, then you start at 60 on Channel 2) and will affect both channels. Once you're done on channel 1 press exit until the purple light vanishes. Then repeat the same process for channel 2.

_Once you're not on "Independent Channel Eq" (purple light), the eq knobs apply to general eq, no matter if you select 1, 2 or 1+2. Don't expect to check your independent eq values here.

Then: Purple light: independent eq for each channel (one by one); No purple light: Mix eq .

Hope it helps somebody. The manual is not clear but I think that it's well thought and it works great.

Last edited by josetorres; 12-27-2021 at 02:31 AM.
Old 12-27-2021, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cambi View Post
---
Today I came up with another attempt and I confirm my hypothesis. I connected an A / B switch between BOSS and the guitar. This means that I played with one guitar in both inputs, respectively. I switched between inputs. At the same time, I set the gain for both inputs to a minimum to guarantee the same guitar sound for both channels. I set an independent EQ for each channel in the system settings, so that I set the selected potentiometer on input 1, e.g. bass to 0 and input 2 to 99. After saving, I returned the potentiometer to 50 and switched between channels. The sound changed as I set it in the system settings. Even though I turned off and turned on the device it worked the same way.
So the stand-alone EQ setting works, but the potentiometers must return to 50 after setting.

But what I noticed and that is the error that after making the system settings, I moved the potentiometer to the value of e.g. 80, I did it separately for each channel (not in system settings mode). This means that both channels should sound the same because the potentiometer was at a different value than it was set in the system settings and at the same time at a value other than 50. When I switched between channels, they sounded different and at the same time different from the system settings. This means that the system settings seem to recalibrate the default value from which the new value is set. I don't know if it's corruptible. I will try another way, in the system settings there is e.g. bass for channel 1 set to 0, for channel 2 to 99, I'm leaving the setting. Then I turn on channel 1 and move the bass from 0 to 60 and on channels 2 from 99 to 60 and the guitars sound different. However, this error is acceptable in principle, because if the system settings do not suit me, I will make the change in the system settings again.
Quite hard to follow you.
Old 01-15-2024, 10:05 AM

I just bought a ad-10 and was able to get two independent guitar eq's after some trial and error. Josetorres also figured it out but thought I would explain it a little more.

What I discovered is there are three eq's at work, the normal one(global eq) and two independent channel eq's. Unless you set your main global eq to flat(12:00) your hearing two eq's at once! The global one and the independent one on top of that. Not having your global/physical eq knobs at 12:00 to start with might also be screwing things up internally and causing a bug or error.

Here is the solutionwhich should have been in the manual)

- In preset mode plug in two guitars and input select them both.
- Flatten out the global eq to 12:00.
- Enter independent eq mode by holding exit & tuner button.
- select your channel and use the eq knobs to adjust that channels independent eq.
- press exit when you are done and save the preset.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification