The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-16-2021, 07:11 PM

I use Ultex or Tortex picks mostly, but I should try some of these fancy ones. I think I'll write down some of these names and give them a whirl.
Old 10-16-2021, 07:52 PM

I have several Charmed Life picks I find myself grabbing the latest 2.0mm "Iridescence" the most lately. I wasn't thinking a 2mm thick pick would end up being one of my favorites but man is this a seriously nice pick.

My collection consists of: (In descending thickness order)

2.00mm Iridescence 351 Blood Red Casein with Mother of Pearl Inlay
1.65mm Blood Red Casein
1.25mm Artisan Blue Casein Speed Bevel
1.25mm Artisan Turquoise Casein Triangle
1.00mm Artisan Flame Casein
1.00mm Red Casein
0.90mm Artisan Blue Casein
0.90mm Brown -- Aerospace Polyimide Triangle

They all provide a slight to not so slight different experience but are really consistent in feel and tone, with the thicker examples bringing the warmth more so than the thinner examples.

Scott is always telling my I have just as much inventory as he has at any given time. lol He has become a good friend as well.
Old 10-16-2021, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

I have both BC and CL picks. Both are really good. My CL casein picks bring out upper mids and highs without being harsh, and are my mandolin pick of choice.
The BC strikes me as indestructible and glides off the strings a bit better. But I'm talking hairs here.

Thickness and shape have more impact and you can get both with either brand.

I have never figured out what makes a second a second either. I love the big CL with the holes. My fave these days.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 10-16-2021, 10:14 PM

I have many CL picks. I like the brown series best as they seem to have the right combo of brightness and tone for me. The black series is bright and sounds great on 12 string. I have the artisan flame series and it seems a bit more mellow. They are stunningly beautiful, but that’s not really the point is it. Thanks to Scott for the fun tone journey! Holland.
Old 10-18-2021, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbirdog View Post
Do you own any Blue Chip picks ? If so would love to hear a comparison....

Mrbirdog
I happen to own a Blue Chip as well as a few of the vespel picks from Charmed Life. The Blue Chip picks are so heavily polished I feel like they sound a little dead and plasticy on the strings. The CL picks are sanded and polished as well, but not to the point of being overly glossy. In my opinion they sound cleaner on the strings and bring out the tone even better. Also Charmed Life offers these picks in thicknesses under 1.0, which is nice for players that like "medium" picks from other manufacturers. I have several Charmed Life picks from all the different series Scott offers and they all get used regularly.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 10-18-2021, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

I'm a looser.

A pick looser.

So when I do decide to use a pick. Usually for the big bang strum.

I use cheap Dunlop .60's

Otherwise it's fingers.
Old 10-18-2021, 10:21 AM

For those who are based in Southern California and are interested in trying them out, don't forget that McCabe's in Santa Monica became a dealer! They've got a few in stock but they were also given some samples so if you swing by you can get a chance to try some of the models out and see if they make a difference to you!

Like EZY says, I'm also a habitual "pick loser". But you'll be surprised how well you keep track of your CLPs once you get them
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 10-18-2021, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

Count me as a fan of CL too. I had many conversations with Scott in his early days and know how much dedication he put into the development of his picks. I am so glad to see his efforts paying off for him.

Oh, and this thread really needs a few pics of picks so here are a couple of well used CL picks for your viewing pleasure.

Old 10-20-2021, 09:31 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks to the OP and to the other posters as well. We're grateful for AGF and all the friends we've met here through the years.

On the pick thing, I've always said the same thing from day one: "We're just happy to be part of the conversation."

Best to all of you. Stay healthy and safe.

scott memmer

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion