The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-15-2021, 06:18 AM

Default How to make an electro-acoustic guitar sound electric?

A bit of fun for a Friday.

You are given an acoustic guitar with a piezo pickup, a basic amp with no onboard effects, and $/£100 to spend on pedals to make a sound as close to a (your choice of) classic electric guitar sound.

What do you get?

I'm enjoying learning about FX pedals and thought I'd have a go at this, so my thinking is that 2 pedals could do it...

1)A compressor
  • Behringer CS400 Compressor Sustainer
  • Mooer Yellow Comp
  • Biyang CO-10

2) Some sort of low gain overdrive...
  • TC Electronic MojoMojo
  • Mosky Silver Horse
  • Behringer TO800
  • Caline CP-12 Pure Sky

What do you think?
Old 10-16-2021, 08:19 AM

I plug in my Martins into a blackface Super Reverb and add a Boss SD1 and Carbon Copy delay. That's my jam!
1966 Fender Super Reverb
VVT Nighthawk

"Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile." - Jerry Garcia
Old 10-16-2021, 02:15 PM

Well if it sounds good, it is good as they say. And electric guitar sound is a big area with lots of different sounds.

I'd be tempted to put a soundhole magnetic pickup in it, and go with Monel strings myself. Not a soundhole magnetic with special circuits or added sensors to make it sound more acoustic, a simple mag pickup like an electric guitar uses. I'd even consider making my own holder for an electric guitar pickup.

At that point, when plugged in it is an electric guitar with some resonance differences due to the acoustic guitar body. Other than feedback any electric pedal or sound is available.

Think: Elmore James, Gabor Szabo, Beatles with J160e, early J J Cale.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 10-16-2021, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
Well if it sounds good, it is good as they say. And electric guitar sound is a big area with lots of different sounds.

I'd be tempted to put a soundhole magnetic pickup in it, and go with Monel strings myself. Not a soundhole magnetic with special circuits or added sensors to make it sound more acoustic, a simple mag pickup like an electric guitar uses. I'd even consider making my own holder for an electric guitar pickup.

At that point, when plugged in it is an electric guitar with some resonance differences due to the acoustic guitar body. Other than feedback any electric pedal or sound is available.

Think: Elmore James, Gabor Szabo, Beatles with J160e, early J J Cale.
I agree Frank, but I think it could also be accomplished with an acoustic soundhole mag and adding a lot of midrange to the eq. For the most part, electrics live in the midrange...

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 10-16-2021, 05:07 PM

My live show relies on a lot of looping and switching back and forth between acoustic tone, bass (emulated via octave pedal) and electric tone (via Boss SD-1W and DM-2W) for lead breaks etc.

I primarily use Sunrise pickups in my gigging guitars and love them. They’re a simple, passive soundhole mag pickup which have been around for 40yrs or so, and are SO versatile.

In my opinion, with a piezo (SBT or UST) you will never be able to recreate a pleasing or useful “electric” tone. With any overdrive or distortion they sound thin and brittle, and octave pedals often struggle to track with them. A mag will get you MUCH closer, though. I can get close to the Dave Gilmour/Gary Moore style of lead tone with my SJ200 and Sunrise, which-I know-doesn’t compute on paper, but really works in actuality.
‘97 Martin D18GE (Sunrise)
‘01 Takamine EAN46C (Palathetic and CT4B)
'02 Takamine EAN20C (Palathetic and CT4BII)
'15 Gibson SJ200 Standard (Sunrise)
‘19 Vintage Paul Brett Viator VC Classical
‘20 Sigma CF-100 copy (Sunrise)

Capos by G7th, amplification by AER.
Old 10-16-2021, 10:04 PM

Comp and a tube screamer..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification