The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-26-2012, 01:52 AM

Default Taylor 814ce fret buzz

I am at a loss for what to do. I think now I have to send this thing back to Taylor, unless anyone here has any ideas?

History:
Aug 8
I have played a 314ce for years and have been watching for an 814, so I finally got my 814ce, but the finish on the spruce top was marred, so I took it in to the local Taylor shop here to get the finish fixed and it looks fantastic now, but it picked up a buzz on the A string from 3 to 7. I took it back once and he stuck in a .020 shim under the saddle. It helped a little, but after playing it a while the buzz is still there and very annoying. Every other string / position is fine. Only A from 3 to 7 buzzes. So, I know this forum has a wealth of knowledge... I would like your opinions .. and yes, I was stupid for fixing the finish, only to end up with a bad sounding guitar now.

I took it back in again on Aug 9th.

This last time:
He Re-removed the neck and reset it.

Completely replaced the saddle.. he showed me the old saddle and the bottom looked funky, not even, not level.

and redressed the frets.

I picked it up Aug 24th.

The A string still has a buzz from 3 to 5 now.

The action is a bit high, especially on the low E side.

Has anyone seen just an A string fret buzz?

Thanks!

Old 08-26-2012, 05:35 AM
Charter Member

6th fret a little high?

Loose tuning mechanism?

Harmonic vibration of the A string between the nut and tuning machine?

Gremlins?
Old 08-26-2012, 05:37 AM

Kinda hard to believe they would do all that and give it back to you still buzzing. Does the tech not hear the buzz?? Have you closely examined your technique to be sure it's not something your causing yourself?? Sorry to suggest that but it just seems odd they would do all that work and hand it back to you doing the same thing. Maybe you need to have a friend play it and see if it buzzes with them
Old 08-26-2012, 06:20 AM
Charter Member

I might suggest that you give Taylor a call and see if they can help you...
Old 08-26-2012, 12:56 PM

It certainly has me thinking that myself.. After 35 years of playing,maybe I picked up a nasty A-string habit. I really did start to think it was me. I sit my Taylor 314ce next to my 814ce I play the 314 and no buzz, pick up the 814 and buzz. And, I am not hitting it hard. Same slow pick pressure on any other string- no buzz. I measured the action on both and the 314 is actually lower.

@Bill .. yes, giving Taylor a call tomorrow.

And I agree @M19 with the gremlins.

They offer a "Renew" package, that at this point, my be my best option.
https://www.taylorguitars.com/support/service-packages

Thanks everyone, I'll let y'all know what the outcome is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorchPicker View Post
Kinda hard to believe they would do all that and give it back to you still buzzing. Does the tech not hear the buzz?? Have you closely examined your technique to be sure it's not something your causing yourself?? Sorry to suggest that but it just seems odd they would do all that work and hand it back to you doing the same thing. Maybe you need to have a friend play it and see if it buzzes with them

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion