The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-18-2022, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

Default Found the cure for GAS: Poverty!

Okay, not really poverty per se, but at least a fixed income. We retired in December at just about the worst time we possibly could have (market about to tank, inflation about to spike) and then add to that all of the MANY home upgrades we're doing now that we have time and we've blown through all of this years money, and then some. So now we really need to 'pull back' and reign in the spending for a while. At least until things turn around and who knows when that might be.

The good news is that I still have two very good guitars, perfect for our needs for year-round gigging. I sold the wonderful Froggy Bottom because I wasn't playing it and it was a whole lot of money tied up in a guitar that I would never gig with. My initial plan was to buy another all-wood higher-end guitar in the $2k-$3k (used) range with a pickup in it so it could be used for gigging if need be but with the new conserving financial mindset did not.

So I decided to just stick with my two RainSong CF's since they are great for gigging in any-weather environment. We have two gigs tomorrow and the heat and humidity are spiking. No concerns with RainSongs. Anyway, it's a nice place to be. I'm not longing for anything and it's a good feeling. I'm sure that once the market turns around and inflation wanes that I'll likely grab something wood but for the moment my prolific GAS seems to be in remission.
Old 07-18-2022, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

I knew about the Froggy but didn't realize you punted the Matons also. And now you have 2 Rainsongs...

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 07-18-2022, 10:43 AM

I started over at 50 and have a 14 year old...LOL So it looks like I'm working for another 10yrs (75yrs old) I'll be pulling SS next year probably a little early(several month) to help out.
But my focus is to pay off everything in the next 5yrs and only own on the house and remodel.. So just maybe I can retire at 70 with part-time work, and just maybe that will be music if not, a Walmart greeter

So I'm done with big spending until next year maybe ,,,
Old 07-18-2022, 11:08 AM

Sorry to hear about the Froggy but it sounds like you made the right choice based on what you want.

Not the kind of GAS cure we want!
Old 07-18-2022, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

I retired a year ago so making adjustment too. Fortunately for me my wife is still working as she is 6 years younger than me.

Let's hope the current high prices and shortages gets back to normal soon. Some people are already hurting now, deciding between groceries and prescriptions.
Old 07-18-2022, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

I’m not expecting guitar prices to come down. I’m thinking about the mid-nice ones: D-18/D-28, J-45, and comparable Taylors. Maybe $18,000 instruments may start to go for $17,000, and there may be a few sub-$1,000 guitars finding their way into the $500 orbit to stimulate beginner interest. But today’s $3,000 - $3,500 is just going to become 2024’s $3,500 - $4,000.

This, coupled with stagflation, is going to change the guitar market, turning off many would-be first-time D-28 owners. On the plus side, we may see supply shortages go away for the most popular models.

Of course it’s right; it’s my opinion. Oh wait…
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 07-18-2022, 01:06 PM

Guess we may have to get over the expensive name brand stigma and settle for some of that killer off shore stuff.

Old 07-18-2022, 01:07 PM
Charter Member

HI Scott,

It sounds like you have found the right equilibrium with your guitar investments. It makes sense. Sounds like you are very much on top of things.

- Glenn
Old 07-18-2022, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

I had a Chinese boss when I was young who had been wealthy beyond imagining in pre revolution China. Fled with the cloths on his back. Looking back, he said the revolution was necessary tearing down of the old order. He had learned to live modestly, and he always was telling me to avoid what he called the luxury life. I took his advise for the most part. I have friends working in their seventies because they can't give up their $100 bottles of wine, the Porche in the garage they never drive, and a 3500 sq foot house for two people.

I also know a Buddhist who has lived in a van for thirty five years. Guess who I think is happier? He has an Alverez Yairi he bought used for $250 that is just magic. I hope everyone can reach a balance that works for them. I've found what I need, healthy kids that are doing well, a little bungalow I can sell when my money runs out, a vegetable garden, a few dogs and my instruments.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 07-18-2022, 02:04 PM

Yep. Hold tight. If you get the itch, sell a Rainsong and get a nice Martin standard or something. The Froggy was gorgeous but you don’t play listening rooms. You need something more practical. Play what makes you happy.
Old 07-18-2022, 02:14 PM

My cure came when I relocated to a place where housing is scarce to be with family. We bought the only option after our house sold in a day. Although our condo is very nice, it doesn't have the space for 30 years of Instrument collecting. I've been trying to sell a few things on Facebook but the people here aren't that interested.
Old 07-18-2022, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

I feel ya on the fixed income Scott
But it's great you have what you need, 2 cool Rainsongs (I especially love the sunburst one and a good duo partner.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 07-18-2022, 03:14 PM

I am three weeks away from retirement, like everyone else all my investments have tanked. Just gotta be patient as they will bounce back, could be a couple years though. I have a good group of instruments that I enjoy and no debt so things are fine. But I won’t be buying anything for a while, like you it’s a GAS killer.

The Rainsongs will do exactly what you want from them. As a wise man once said “happiness is not having what you want but instead it’s wanting what you have”. Enjoy making music, everything else is just stuff.
Old 07-18-2022, 03:15 PM

With me it had nothing to do with how fat or lean my wallet was. It was all about age. Once I started looking down the barrel at 70 I just stopped getting emotional about guitars. In fact, spending any kind of real money on them now just seemed plain silly. I can look at photos here all day long and not feel one twinge of longing or desire. Then again, I can also rest assured that the guitars I already own can beat up your guitars.
Old 07-18-2022, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

Lot's of great replies here! Many in the same boat, or heading there, or been there awhile. My wife and I are fortunately in that we lived frugally our whole lives which is why we were able to retire at 58/60. I'm very lucky as I married a woman that hates spending money! I know, right? Like finding a unicorn in a field of four-leaf-clovers! So our house is paid off and we are debt free. But our electric rate is literally more than doubling starting next month. Yay.

Anyway, my wife feels like she's been training for this her whole life. Frugality? BRING IT, she says! So I have, as I have done (mostly) for a very long time, placed our spending in her capable hands. It is definitely helping that since retiring we are booking like crazy on the Assisted Living circuit. Our 'side hustle' is literally paying off and helping a wee bit. We'll be okay. We can always go back to work if we must although after six-plus months of being retired, I shudder at the thought! At least back to the old place.

The Froggy Bottom was very nice and easily the most beautiful, highest quality and best sound acoustic guitar I've ever owned. And although it was not strictly speaking the exact model I was looking for, I'm glad I took a chance and was able to own and play this guitar for a year and a half. It was the prime instrument during many of the pandemic shows and AGF Open Mics we recorded and it was awesome. But I don't miss it at all. My view is that all these instruments will outlive me so I like that the nice ones get to be played and loved by many.

Besides, there will always be more Froggy Bottoms to buy in the years to come. If I ever decide I want to spend that kind of money on a guitar again, I would not hesitate to buy a Froggy Bottom.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion