The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-21-2018, 08:36 PM

Default Latulippe OM #17

Two years ago I visited the Ottawa Guitar Show and played a wonderful OM guitar by Montreal luthier Vincent Latulippe. I wrote about it in this post on the forum:

I have been to all editions of the now defunct Montreal Guitar Show, the inaugural edition of the Memphis show as well as to the Ottawa Guitar Show. I have played guitars at virtually all price points from little known to legendary luthiers. The only guitar to ever make my jaw hit the floor was at the Ottawa show in June, a $7800 guitar from a little known Montreal area luthier. I will own that guitar (or commission a build from him) some day. Playing that one was basically a life-changing experience.

Well, the stars have aligned and the guitar is now mine. I played it a bit tonight. It is just as I remembered. I'm ecstatic.

Introducing the Latulippe OM #17

Specs:

Top: Sinker Red Cedar
Back and sides: Indian Rosewood
Bracing: Sitka Spruce
Neck: Laminated Walnut/Wenge/Flame maple
Fretboard: Ebony / Radius 14"
Scale: 25 ½ in.
Bridge: Wenge
Bridge pins: Ebony
Frets: Nickel/Silver 0.084w 0.035h
Tuners: Graphtech Ratio Nickel
Electronics: Passive K&K Pure Mini
Nuts/saddles: Bone
Bindings: Ebony
Rosette: maple veneer
Inlays: Perloid
Headstock: Wenge
Finish: Polyurethane
Options: Arm rest, side port

A few build pictures:

The finished product:

Close up:

Latulippe OM #17(Sinker Cedar/Indian Rosewood)
Latulippe Foxtrot #29 (electric)
Lavoie Modern Archtop #142 (White Spruce/Mun Ebony)
Benoît Raby Étude classical (2013, Spruce, Indian Rosewood)
Old 09-22-2018, 12:39 AM
Charter Member

What a stunner! I have not previously heard of Vincent Latulippe so thanks for posting.

Fantastic attention to detail – I see the side port is not only bound, it has purfling as well!

I have some questions/comments about the neck:
• Love the selection of woods for the neck – that maple in the centre is incredible.
• Very interesting how the neck block (I mean the block inside the guitar) seems to mirror the woods selected for the neck itself.
• One image prompts me to ask a “technical” question, is the neck carving finished after it is attached to the guitar?

Congratulations…I hope you feel like posting a recording for us!

Col
Old 09-22-2018, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
Fantastic attention to detail
Yes. Even the bridge pins are sized for each string!

Quote:
One image prompts me to ask a “technical” question, is the neck carving finished after it is attached to the guitar?
I think so. I asked a similar question yesterday. He said the fretboard is attached with the neck still in uncarved? I'm not sure how that works.

Quote:
I hope you feel like posting a recording for us
I will some day In the meantime, here's a promo video he recorded:

I'm not sure the sound in the video is really representative of the instrument. In real life, the guitar sounds more modern to my ears. Of course, a different player and room can account for the difference too.
Old 09-22-2018, 07:25 AM
Charter Member

Wow, that's stunning! I'm also not familiar with Latulippe, but that's awesome.
Old 09-22-2018, 07:54 AM

Congrats, to be able to get something that you have wanted is awesome. I think the neck question could possibly be more related to the heel cap as it looks like it is one piece with the back and not a separate piece so the neck would have to have been fitted and then filed or sanded to match that. In any case, it is a really cool way to do it and is different than most and looks fantastic! Just wondering what would happen if the neck would need to be removed for any reason, which of course is very unlikely.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:03 AM

It looks like Spanish construction where you stuff the sides into a slot in the neck. Youd better hope you dont need a neck reset I would think.
Old 09-22-2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
It looks like Spanish construction where you stuff the sides into a slot in the neck. Youd better hope you dont need a neck reset I would think.
It is a spanish heel. He's been building them like that for 16 years, probably because he apprenticed with a classical guitar maker. It's never been a problem for him and if ever my guitar bucks the trend he will have to find a solution.
Old 09-24-2018, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattste View Post
Two years ago I visited the Ottawa Guitar Show and played a wonderful OM guitar by Montreal luthier Vincent Latulippe. I wrote about it in this post on the forum:

I have been to all editions of the now defunct Montreal Guitar Show, the inaugural edition of the Memphis show as well as to the Ottawa Guitar Show. I have played guitars at virtually all price points from little known to legendary luthiers. The only guitar to ever make my jaw hit the floor was at the Ottawa show in June, a $7800 guitar from a little known Montreal area luthier. I will own that guitar (or commission a build from him) some day. Playing that one was basically a life-changing experience.

Well, the stars have aligned and the guitar is now mine. I played it a bit tonight. It is just as I remembered. I'm ecstatic.

Introducing the Latulippe OM #17

Specs:

Top: Sinker Red Cedar

Back and sides: Indian Rosewood

Bracing: Sitka Spruce

Neck: Laminated Walnut/Wenge/Flame maple

Fretboard: Ebony / Radius 14"

Scale: 25 ½ in.

Bridge: Wenge

Bridge pins: Ebony

Frets: Nickel/Silver 0.084w 0.035h

Tuners: Graphtech Ratio Nickel

Electronics: Passive K&K Pure Mini

Nuts/saddles: Bone

Bindings: Ebony

Rosette: maple veneer

Inlays: Perloid

Headstock: Wenge

Finish: Polyurethane

Options: Arm rest, side port

A few build pictures:

The finished product:

Close up:

Nice Guitar! Thanks for stopping by my table at Sonore Guitar Festival, it was really nice to meet you.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop