The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-17-2018, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Sounds like a real nice guitar, but that's not a Tele. I love P90's and tele's too. Oops, not supposed to talk about motorcycles, boats or P90's.....so how does the X20 sound? Is it an Artisian? Have you plugged it in yet?
I know. I've had straight up teles and I love 'em, but when I also have a strat, I never play the tele. And I always have a strat. So it's either a P90 tele or no tele at all for me these days...

The X20 sounds really good. I haven't had a dread since I sold my longtime 1968 D-28 about 15 years ago, but the X20 has more of that dread lower end than the 000 I've been playing. And at the same time, it's got more of a shimmery top end than the mahogany 000 ever did. I like the low end, not the shimmery high end so much, but I can tame that with my choice of pick and maybe strings if it comes down to it. The action is maybe a touch too low - I've got a couple of spots on the fretboard where I'm getting some buzz or deadness and I think one of those spots (2nd fret G string) may be the cause of some of the unpleasantness I'm hearing on a few chords. So I'm gonna probably raise the saddle a couple of hairs to try to work that out before I start messing with other variables...

It is an artisan but my plugged in needs are VERY meager - I basically just like to play acoustically into my looper sometimes. I haven't played out in decades and I'm not sure I ever played acoustically for anything larger than a small party. So I've plugged the X20 in, got a decent sound into my looper and that's probably as far as I'll take it. On the rare occasion I mess around with any recording, I generally mic any acoustic rather than plug it in.

-Ray
Old 09-17-2018, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danz567 View Post
Nice looking guitar Ray. We have similar stories in that I have a couple of wood acoustics that need constant care for humidity. I lurked around in here for a while reading all the different posts about carbon fiber. I finally ordered an X20 about a month ago. So now I'm a waiter instead of a lurker lol. Enjoy your new guitar.
Dan
It's funny. For years I had a prized 1968 D-28 that I LOVED. But I didn't know the first thing about taking care of it and I left it out and unprotected for a few years of living in the Arizona desert and several of living in the Pacific Northwest humidity and then quite a few years living in Pennsylvania with it's crazy humid summers and very cold winters with the heat cranked and humidity down in the 20s. And I needed to have the neck reset a couple times, but that guitar seemed to come through that level of abuse without any real damage. But since I got back into playing in the past couple of years, and bought another Martin, I've LEARNED ABOUT HUMIDITY. And then I got pretty obsessive about taking care of the new Martin and a couple other decent acoustics I've cycled through. And I'd have humidifiers running and humidipaks in cases and all that and I just got to hate dealing with it. So going with carbon fiber is mostly a way to protect myself from my old age OCD about stuff like that.

You're a more patient person than I am, ordering a guitar you have to wait months for. Did you go for something custom or one of the wood veneer models? I kind of had to know pretty quick if this whole carbon fiber thing was gonna work out so I bought a ready to roll model and only had to wait about a week to find out. I guess if I ever got another one, I could spec it out exactly how I'd want it and wait a while for it to be done, but for this first one, I don't think I could have handled months of suspense!

It's a great guitar - I'm sure you're gonna love it...

-Ray
Old 09-17-2018, 04:52 PM

I really wanted a wood veneer but I couldn't afford the extra cost right now. I ordered an amber one with an anthem pickup. I've got my Martin to play right now so I can handle the wait, but I am excited about getting it.
Dan
Fender Ukelele

https://youtube.com/channel/UC7aq_u2nyCgtIPffgyWob1A
Old 09-17-2018, 05:00 PM

I have nearly the same exact red guitar. I have had mine for nearly 5 years and it is definitely my go to acoustic guitar. I compared it against some more expensive guitars and the best I found plays/sounds pretty close to the same quality as my X20. The robustness and hardly ever needing to tune the X20 is why this one has stayed while I have let go of others. It's a keeper.

Congratulations!

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 09-17-2018, 06:09 PM
Charter Member

Congrats on buying one of the best guitars out there! It will only grow on you. I always thought that I'd favor my Martin over my X20 but after a few weeks of serious A/B'ing recently I've come to the conclusion that I prefer the X20 more in every way.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

Congrats, Ray! The X20 is the acoustic I tend to compare all others to these days... spend more time with it and you may find that it nudges out that Martin. "The honeymoon" stage is fun, but the measure of any great guitar is how often you want to pick it up when there are others to pick from.

That red is great looking!
Old 09-18-2018, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
It's funny. For years I had a prized 1968 D-28 that I LOVED. But I didn't know the first thing about taking care of it and I left it out and unprotected for a few years of living in the Arizona desert and several of living in the Pacific Northwest humidity and then quite a few years living in Pennsylvania with it's crazy humid summers and very cold winters with the heat cranked and humidity down in the 20s. And I needed to have the neck reset a couple times, but that guitar seemed to come through that level of abuse without any real damage. But since I got back into playing in the past couple of years, and bought another Martin, I've LEARNED ABOUT HUMIDITY. And then I got pretty obsessive about taking care of the new Martin and a couple other decent acoustics I've cycled through. And I'd have humidifiers running and humidipaks in cases and all that and I just got to hate dealing with it. So going with carbon fiber is mostly a way to protect myself from my old age OCD about stuff like that.

You're a more patient person than I am, ordering a guitar you have to wait months for. Did you go for something custom or one of the wood veneer models? I kind of had to know pretty quick if this whole carbon fiber thing was gonna work out so I bought a ready to roll model and only had to wait about a week to find out. I guess if I ever got another one, I could spec it out exactly how I'd want it and wait a while for it to be done, but for this first one, I don't think I could have handled months of suspense!

It's a great guitar - I'm sure you're gonna love it...

-Ray
Congrats Ray! I’m sure that you’re loving your Emerald. Beautiful color too.

Interesting to learn that you’ve lived in AZ and the PNW... we seem to be sharing a lot in our lives: these locations, our camera work, our return to guitar playing in retirement! Cheers, buddy!
Old 09-18-2018, 05:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
Congrats Ray! I’m sure that you’re loving your Emerald. Beautiful color too.

Interesting to learn that you’ve lived in AZ and the PNW... we seem to be sharing a lot in our lives: these locations, our camera work, our return to guitar playing in retirement! Cheers, buddy!
Hi Don,

Yeah, we keep running into each other in the strangest places! I grew up in Tucson and was around there a lot until the early-80’s. Went to school in Olympia on and off starting in ‘76 and was back and forth a lot in those intervening years with a couple years ski-bumming in Telluride. Then met my wife and stayed in the Puget sound area until ‘92 and have been in the Philly area since then. And that D-28 spent a lot of time hanging on a wall or sitting out on a stand in all of those places, dealing with whatever level of humidity or lack thereof there was. And it came through like a champ!

I plan to treat the X20 the same way and expect it to do even better!

I’m a much better photographer than guitar player, but I’ve all but stopped shooting outside of family stuff. Seems like during the few times in my life I got heavily into photography, it was too consuming - I couldn’t just walk down the street without composing shots in my mind every time I’d turn my head. Each time I burned out after a few years of it. I don’t have that issue with music - when I’m playing, I’m all-in, but when I put it down and walk away, my mind comes with me! I doubt I’ll stop playing guitar unless I get to the point of being physically unable to play and fortunately I’m in in pretty good health so hopefully I’ll be able to play for a good long while...

Good to run into you again,

-Ray
Old 09-18-2018, 06:07 AM

Congratulations.
IMHO the X20 is one of the best acoustic guitars out there,
and you picked best color too.
It's a beautiful instrument

Enjoy.
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars
Old 09-18-2018, 07:11 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on your new Emerald....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 09-18-2018, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations, it is a beauty.
Taylor Custom Grand Concert Master Grade koa, Taylor K22ce 12-fret AA koa, Emerald X7 "Kauai" (custom painted artwork), Grimes Hapa nylon, Benedetto Andy, Kanile'a GL6 Guitalele, Moore Bettah and KoAloha custom ukuleles, Rob Allen Mouse koa bass
Old 09-18-2018, 09:39 AM

Quote:
......but I’ve all but stopped shooting outside of family stuff. Seems like during the few times in my life I got heavily into photography, it was too consuming - I couldn’t just walk down the street without composing shots in my mind every time I’d turn my head....
Man does that sound familiar! Photography can indeed be almost obsessive, but I'm feeling much better now. At one point, I realized that it was not possible to have a conversation with someone without mentally superimposing the viewfinder, judging exposure, composing the shot, etc.

My dedication to guitar is more balanced and not as OCD. But unlike most hobbies or activities with a four year half-life of intense involvement, guitar has lasted for a LONG time.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Hi Don,

Yeah, we keep running into each other in the strangest places! I grew up in Tucson and was around there a lot until the early-80’s. Went to school in Olympia on and off starting in ‘76 and was back and forth a lot in those intervening years with a couple years ski-bumming in Telluride. Then met my wife and stayed in the Puget sound area until ‘92 and have been in the Philly area since then. And that D-28 spent a lot of time hanging on a wall or sitting out on a stand in all of those places, dealing with whatever level of humidity or lack thereof there was. And it came through like a champ!

I plan to treat the X20 the same way and expect it to do even better!

I’m a much better photographer than guitar player, but I’ve all but stopped shooting outside of family stuff. Seems like during the few times in my life I got heavily into photography, it was too consuming - I couldn’t just walk down the street without composing shots in my mind every time I’d turn my head. Each time I burned out after a few years of it. I don’t have that issue with music - when I’m playing, I’m all-in, but when I put it down and walk away, my mind comes with me! I doubt I’ll stop playing guitar unless I get to the point of being physically unable to play and fortunately I’m in in pretty good health so hopefully I’ll be able to play for a good long while...

Good to run into you again,

-Ray
And one more interesting coincidence, we’re both giving far more time to our music now and hardly working photography at all.

I have recently, however, transitioned my life long interest in the shooting sports over to air guns - air rifles to be exact. Much easier (and quieter) to enjoy in one’s own backyard doing target shooting with pellet rifles. At present, I’m shooting the Daystate Red Wolf .22HP air rifle - so enjoyable!

[/url]
Old 09-18-2018, 03:01 PM
Guest 928

Holy Moly! That is an interesting weapon and a very nice photograph. Air guns, like CF guitars, have been going through a lot of changes in the past 10 years--but have a much longer history.

Lewis and Clark toted an air rifle on their explorations, a gun that is now in the Smithsonian. Wonder if the Smithsonian has any CF guitars?
Old 09-18-2018, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Holy Moly! That is an interesting weapon and a very nice photograph. Air guns, like CF guitars, have been going through a lot of changes in the past 10 years--but have a much longer history.

Lewis and Clark toted an air rifle on their explorations, a gun that is now in the Smithsonian. Wonder if the Smithsonian has any CF guitars?
Evan.... airguns today are mind boggling! And they are available up to .50 caliber for hunting large game! Incredible, isn't it.

The Daystate Red Wolf is arguably top of the game. Electronic trigger. Electronic regulator. The trigger, at about 7 ounces, is like clicking an ultra light mouse button. I was a bit leery of an electronic air gun at first, but have learned that the precision the electronics brings over mechanical is significant. If L & C could shoot one of these, they'd be totally amazed. This one launches a .22 cal. 25.4 gr lead pellet at just under 1000 fps. 3 electronically selected power levels. 10-shot magazine. Unfortunately, they're quite expensive. But sure are fun!

Lots of good info on air guns here:

airgunnation.com

Back porch target shooting

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber