The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-12-2018, 02:55 PM

Default EMERALD CURRENT STOCK

Once again , I was too slow. Congrats to whoever bought the gorgeous X20 Cocobolo Woody X20 that was available this morning. Stunning Guitar. I was amazed that they had one available for immediate delivery when I looked this am. By the time i sorted out finances, some lucky person scooped it up. Hope to see a NGD post soon.
Old 09-12-2018, 05:54 PM

Wow that was a gorgeous guitar. They are keeping us on our toes and feeding the obsession. Emerald is such a tease.
Parker Niitefly M
Old 09-12-2018, 06:06 PM
Guest 928

Showme;

You are right on the money, there is some strong Leprechaun teasing from Emerald central. Mr K, too, has some Leprechaun in his background--at least you'd guess so by his many teasing contributions to CF anticipation.

And welcome to the CF forum, home of CF explorations, stories, and waiters, and teasing. There are a lot of waiters here and I suspect that you, too, will one day be part of the line.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:06 PM
Charter Member

Hmmm... maybe this is the new offering instead of the Select Series? I don't recall ever seeing a cocobolo woody offered as a stock guitar previously. Interesting way to make you check their site each day. Better have your credit card in hand when looking.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsstrider View Post
Once again , I was too slow. Congrats to whoever bought the gorgeous X20 Cocobolo Woody X20 that was available this morning. Stunning Guitar. I was amazed that they had one available for immediate delivery when I looked this am. By the time i sorted out finances, some lucky person scooped it up. Hope to see a NGD post soon.
That would be me. I came home from work today and saw that one was in stock. I have been looking for a while. Just glad I do not have to wait months to play it.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:05 AM

Congrats Zeke! Sweet guitar choice.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 09-13-2018, 06:00 AM

Good find Zeke, that guitar looks fantastic. Seems like Emerald is offering more and more in-stock models, which is good for us impatient types. Makes sense, since they seem to sell out rather quickly.

I've also heard that they are bringing back the Select Series very soon, which could also be very dangerous for my wallet!
Old 09-13-2018, 08:51 AM
Guest 928

Zeke;

"Glad I do not have to wait month to play it." Just wait till the waiters realize you didn't have to wait--it's almost like cheating.

Another way of looking at it is that you really missed out. All the anticipation, all the commiseration from other waiters, all the daily tracking, you missed half the good stuff.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:40 AM

Congrats Zeke!

But... but... with all of these stock guitars being made do we waiters have to wait even longer?
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 09-13-2018, 10:34 AM
Guest 928

Mountainmaster;

I would guess "yes." You can only send out so many guitars at a time so waiting could be a long term occupation. In the meantime, just put it out of your mind, don't think about the fine, beautiful instrument coming to you from somewhere, sometime.

Perhaps you might consider starting a waiters union? Have someone make up some cool T-shirts, join together with other waiters and start demanding your rights to speedy delivery.

If all else fails, you might want to take up knitting.
Old 09-13-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke63 View Post
That would be me. I came home from work today and saw that one was in stock. I have been looking for a while. Just glad I do not have to wait months to play it.
While I was contemplating what guitars I would have to sell , you did what I should have done and just pulled the trigger. Congrats!
I could have sworn that I saw that exact same veneer pattern displayed some where on this forum not long ago. Either something Emerald was considering, or a sample for a custom order.? Maybe someone changed their mind.? I hope Emerald keeps adding a Woody here and there as a current inventory item now and then.
Old 09-13-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmaster View Post
Congrats Zeke!

But... but... with all of these stock guitars being made do we waiters have to wait even longer?
Emerald probably schedules the orders into similar batches for efficient production depending on degree of customization, colours, veneers, low volume exotics (synergy) etc . Likely most of the in-stock items are inserted to round off the numbers in each batch with a few sample Artisans and Presentations to whet our interest.
Old 09-13-2018, 01:24 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualmusic View Post
Emerald probably schedules the orders into similar batches for efficient production depending on degree of customization, colours, veneers, low volume exotics (synergy) etc . Likely most of the in-stock items are inserted to round off the numbers in each batch with a few sample Artisans and Presentations to whet our interest.
I need my interest whet again.
Old 09-13-2018, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmaster View Post
Congrats Zeke!

Just a guess on my part, but I would think there is a production schedule. While we don't know Emerald's exact production process, there has to be some sort of a mold to create these lovely instruments - unless there are multiple molds per model, that means the opportunity to fill a mold with an "open slot" model for stock.

I'd suggest that whatever you are told for a timeframe, add a few weeks, and when it runs long (and it usually seems to run long), you won't experience Scott's "soul-crushing" time extension.

I have previously said, "under promise, over deliver," meaning: tell the customer 4 months and deliver in 3 1/2 and you will be a hero... instead of saying: "2 1/2 to 3 months," and having it take 3 1/2. No difference in the delivery time, but a lot of difference for the buyer's psyche. The buyer will hear whatever time promise is the shortest: i.e. 3 to 3 1/2 months will be heard as 3.

With some makers (and I am not saying Emerald is one of those), there seems to be some pride in how long of a wait just to get into the que. Everyone has their own way of doing business... and it is smart for Emerald to have some "in stock" guitars now that they have eliminated their Opus line; it keeps sales happening for those lucky enough to press "BUY NOW" ahead of the next guy. Good for cash flow and for the customer who wants what they have instead of having Emerald make what you want.

My purchase of the Select Series X20 I have was impulse/lust. I was considering ordering a custom woody, and this was the opportunity to have one now, even if it wasn't exactly the veneer and scale I was thinking. A good trade-off if you are wait-aversive.

So, to the original question: did that stock guitar slow down your guitar? From your perspective: yep. From theirs: it was in the production schedule. It kinda comes down to: are you a gambling person? Do you think there is a chance that Emerald will make exactly what you want as a stock guitar, and will it happen in less time than if you order and wait?

If you have that figured out, I would like you to pick some lottery numbers for me.

I ordered an Artisan colored X10, but I wanted a shorter scale. Even though the original info on that model said "made to order," a few have shown up as "in stock." I wasn't willing to wait and gamble that they'd make one with a shorter scale and the Crystal Ice back and sides for "stock."

Don't let Evan and the other "cage pokers" get to you with the teasing about the wait. If you have a reason to have the guitar by a specific date, you better order WAY ahead.

The guitars are certainly well worth the wait. And, as a fellow "waiter," I have time on my hands to type out this reply.
Old 09-13-2018, 02:53 PM

Hey Guys
I just popped into the forum to say hello and see what all the excitement is about. I have to say all these positive posts warm my heart and fuel my inspiration and motivation.
Yes that Cocobolo X20 didn't last long, yes it was a beauty and yes we can always make more.
On the question of whether stock guitars hold up customer orders, well not really. We schedule a certain amount of our production capacity towards stock and the majority goes towards built to order guitars. Recently it has been almost all customer guitars as we have been trying to shorten lead times but we did manage to get some stock produced in the past few weeks.
As for the question of how a Cocobolo appeared in stock, well we are just about to switch our direction on veneers and make the custom Woodies our standard.
Most of what we do now is selected from our custom stock so we decided that would be our way to go.
If you are placing an order then you do so in consultation with us and select your exact desired piece of veneer and when we build stock woodies then its whatever I decide to choose from the library on a given day. That should keep our stock interesting and continually changing.
Psychologists will probably be able to track my mood by the guitars we produce.

Anyway I just wanted to say how much I value all the discussion in here even though I haven't been contributing much recently. I will take the time to write a proper update very soon and tell you why this has been the most amazing year in Emeralds 20 year history.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber