The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-03-2018, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

Where can we place our bets that Methos is going to be the proud owner of 3 pretty awesome guitars?
Old 09-03-2018, 04:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Where can we place our bets that Methos is going to be the proud owner of 3 pretty awesome guitars?
Ha! Just three? Pretty soon he'll be like Kramster, tripping over the ones he's forgotten about
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 09-03-2018, 04:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Lol - don't think that hasn't crossed my mind as well! If I can't decide then I'll stow the Martin in its case with humidification during the winter months and swap it out in the summer months for the X20!

But I'd offer you odds that one will go! But as for a hoarder, unlikely. Just look at the number of awesome guitars in my review link down in my signature line and you will see that I have stayed very true to being a two-guitar guy!
Old 09-03-2018, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

I'm OK with a wood guitar or two, as a nostalgia kinda thing and to remind me why I like CF so much. I suppose it wouldn't hurt anything to put a humidifier in the X20 case, huh?
Old 09-03-2018, 06:30 PM

There is no way that my wood guitars are going away! Every guitar has its own personality and tone. Why limit yourself? CF guitars have their own tone and cannot replace the tone of wood guitars. Yes maintaining wood Guitars can be a PITA compared to CF but they’re worth it.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 09-03-2018, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT55 View Post
There is no way that my wood guitars are going away! Every guitar has its own personality and tone. Why limit yourself? CF guitars have their own tone and cannot replace the tone of wood guitars. Yes maintaining wood Guitars can be a PITA compared to CF but they’re worth it.

Well, never say never, but I agree with you. Wood rocks for it’s traditional tone and organic charm. They also get better with time.

Aside from it’s impervious nature- which, at least for now, is the reason anyone new to it even shows interest, CF has a certain mojo all it’s own! This is what I should have said to you when you first chimed in and asked “what is the deal with CF” a few months ago before you bought a couple yourself.

My apologies- I should have been more welcoming. It’s just that many have come to this sub forum to cast CF as overpriced plastic. But.... now you know the truth
Old 09-03-2018, 09:01 PM

No wood acoustics anymore for me, just a Cargo and an OX. I don’t even look at wood acoustics anymore. But I was eyeing an X7 not too long ago. Resist, resist......
Old 09-03-2018, 09:25 PM

“—-sold your wood guitars yet” implies it’s gonna happen at some point.
Not !
Old 09-03-2018, 10:24 PM

A few months ago I bought a new Martin D18 as my first guitar. I wish I did more homework on carbon vs wooden guitars. Not truly understanding the extreme dry AZ heat conditions and how much it can affect a acoustic woody I quickly sold it. Humidipaks going dry ~ every 10 days, refilling room humidifiers, storing it in the case, and filling a Oasis every week was getting old. Plus we travel a lot.

I like low maintenance, grab and play guitar. So I am excitingly awaiting my first cf Rainsong DD1100 to arrive!
Old 09-04-2018, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spkey View Post
A few months ago I bought a new Martin D18 as my first guitar. I wish I did more homework on carbon vs wooden guitars. Not truly understanding the extreme dry AZ heat conditions and how much it can affect a acoustic woody I quickly sold it. Humidipaks going dry ~ every 10 days, refilling room humidifiers, storing it in the case, and filling a Oasis every week was getting old. Plus we travel a lot.

I like low maintenance, grab and play guitar. So I am excitingly awaiting my first cf Rainsong DD1100 to arrive!

I have heard of such conditions in the land of dry.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 09-04-2018, 06:54 AM
Charter Member

I can see myself getting down to one wood guitar, one day, along with one carbon fiber guitar. But I don’t see my self with no wood guitars.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 09-04-2018, 08:18 AM

After selling my Martin 00-18 earlier this year(I really liked it alot, but it stayed in its case alot due to humidity issues, and little kids in house issues) I am now down to just one guitar, my Blackbird Lucky 13. I've been itching lately for another one though.
Can't decide whether to go wood again, or carbon fiber. The new Emerald x7 is appealing!
Old 09-04-2018, 10:36 AM

Nope.

While I play my Composite Acoustics GX most of the time, it won't replace my HD28 or my '37 Gibson L7, or my nylon string classical. They all do different things that my CF doesn't.

I also won't be getting rid of the Yamaha FG335 I've had since I was 12. Still a perfectly good guitar for situations I wouldn't want to use my more expensive guitars, aside from the nostalgia factor.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:46 PM

Nope.

To me it's all about expanding what can be done with the guitar. I am definitely more interested overall in CF guitars these days, but my nice wood guitar isn't going anywhere.

I do have a dreadnought S6 that's looking for a forever home, but that's because I discovered GC/000/OM sized guitars with 12-fret necks and never looked back.
Old 09-04-2018, 05:06 PM

Default Sold last week

Funny you posted this. Sold mine last week on consignment. Since I bought the Chimaera, I hardly very played the Martin I had. Good sounding guitar acoustically, but the Martin I had I never quite cared for the electronics in it, and it burned through 9V batteries quite easily. In contrast, the Chimaera doesn’t eat batteries like the Martin did.

In the future not sure what I might add, but if it’s wood it has a lot to measure up to.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber