The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-21-2018, 10:35 AM

Reviving this thread: I just got my Rosette 300 yesterday and it's FANTASTIC! The guitar has an almost 3D quality to it (Taylor GA Mahogany Custom) and I loved the vocal sound as well. I use an SM87A with a Voicelive 3 for vocal and guitar effects. Previously, I was using a Loudbox Mini as a monitor which sounded good but the Rosette made the Mini sound congested by comparison. My vocals had a presence that the Mini couldn't reproduce and because of that, cut through the mix with ease. The guitar sounded rich and full with just the right amount of top end. I used Mesa's suggested settings and barely tweaked them for my needs.

The best compliment I can give a piece of gear is that it inspires me to play more. I couldn't put my guitar down last night after using the Rosette. I'm doing a solo guitar/vocal gig at a resort tonight. I'll be using the Rosette direct to the PA with 2 QSC K10s and I'm expecting great results!

Update: After doing about 6 gigs with the Rosette, it's proven to be a monster! Compared to the Loudbox Mini, the Rosette is several cuts above. I like the Mini but the Rosette just engulfs it. Everything is so full and rich. The tweeter switch is awesome. I can switch between my Mahogany (solo gigs) and Spruce (duo gigs) Taylors without having to EQ them separately. I just hit the switch and everything falls into place. Vocals sound fantastic! Very crisp and dynamic. Great amp!

Last edited by shredtrash; 10-05-2018 at 09:10 AM.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:55 PM

Well, since it was revived, let me chime in.

As far as Acoustic guitar sound goes, I've never heard anything better. In fact the way Mesa tells you to set it up on the little cheat card is pretty near perfect. Which is a good thing since there are SOOO many options you can get lost pretty easily.

I have a Guild Savoy 150-A that just sounds gorgeous with the Mesa.

So, that's all good. Now let me list some things I really don't like at all -- and I hope I am wrong. I'm actually hoping someone is going to say: "You idiot. That works by doing this..." We'll see...

The Rosette assumes you're using it as an amp. That part is very well thought out. If you want to pass through to the PA system and use it as a monitor, tho... not so much.

There is only one mix. The same one you hear through the amp is the one the house gets for the PA. So if you set up and things seem OK, but then when the crowd starts coming in and you need to bump the monitor a little... you just also turned up the sound for the whole house. And don't you know that sound guys just love that. I want my monitor mix to be under my control and not affect anything else.

Same for the headphone mix. You will hear the same volume as your speaker. Want to hear it in the headphone and not the speaker? Sorry. You can't do that. Well, actually, you can. Because you can unplug the speakers. But I like to have my headphone down low and bring it up slowly in case there is a sudden feedback or something. Can't do that.

There is no effects loop for it. You can't drive the volume with a pedal. You can probably work something out between the head and the speaker, but it clearly isn't designed for that. The speaker plug is about 2 inches long and doesn't even reach the ground.

I have a J Rockett Archer Klone pedal that I can't seem to find a way to bring into this system. Everything I try seems to bring in too much buzz/hum.

Then there are the effects. You have three choices: Chorus, Hall Reverb 1, and Hall reverb 2. But its the same for both channels, which means whatever effect you have on your guitar you will have to have on your voice and vice versa. That kind of sucks.

And is it too much to ask that I can have a delay/chorus and a reverb of my choice? I know that I can get that through a pedal board setup, but this thing is $1200. I was hoping it had a little more versatility.

I'd like to know how guys are using this with their pedalboard rig. I can't seem to find a combo that works for me.

My feeling about the Rosette right now is: Man the guitar sounds great. Is that worth $1200? I'm not sure. Maybe. Because it honestly sounds that good. But I wish as much thought had been put into the rest of it. The vocals don't seem to be as well thought out. And I am more than a little disappointed that the headphone doesn't have its own volume control and the effects are so limited.

If this were $750 I'd just shut up and enjoy the guitar tone. But for $1200, and the fact that it says MESA on it, I was kind of expecting more...
Old 11-18-2018, 06:34 AM

I plan to use it as both a electric and acoustic amp, so it has to take pedals well.
Anyone use theyrs with pedals?

Cheers!
Old 11-18-2018, 06:58 AM
AGF Sponsor

[QUOTE=ChapinFan;5863854]Well, since it was revived, let me chime in.

There is only one mix. The same one you hear through the amp is the one the house gets for the PA. So if you set up and things seem OK, but then when the crowd starts coming in and you need to bump the monitor a little... you just also turned up the sound for the whole house. And don't you know that sound guys just love that. I want my monitor mix to be under my control and not affect anything else.

Hi Mark,
I don't own that amp, but in looking at a picture of the back controls: There is a small toggle to set to 'pre-eq' on 2 of the direct outputs. It's not available on the 1+2 mixed output.

Set the switches at pre-eq, and send them to the sound man. He'll have a flat signal to mess with, no matter what you do to the amp.

Regards,
Howard Emerson
Old 11-18-2018, 07:10 AM

interesting you can't get a good way to run pedals
through this. no loop. if you run in line it
creates noise ? Do you have a preamp in line
in your pedal board ?Could it just be a gain stage
issue? Just asking . For 1200 you could have a decent
pa that could do all this and vocals. Definitly sending
the pre eq signal to foh should cure that issue.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:36 AM

Still love my Rosette. I bought it before Mesa bumped the price up, but I think it's still worth it. I appreciate its size, weight, and versatility. I've run about every instrument there is through it, from mandolin to upright bass, and I've been pleased with the sound. The EQ itself is worth the price.

Two things, first, I don't use pedals, but the there is a parallel effects loop on the back of the amp, so I don't see why there would be any problems running whatever effects you wanted.

Second, it's been mentioned already, but for the previous poster, flip the XLR outs to "pre-eq" and it will do exactly what you want, enabling you to adjust the volume and mix on the amp without changing the signal sent to the board. You'll have to run two cables, one for each channel.
Old 11-20-2018, 05:02 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmorgan View Post
Still love my Rosette. I bought it before Mesa bumped the price up, but I think it's still worth it. I appreciate its size, weight, and versatility. I've run about every instrument there is through it, from mandolin to upright bass, and I've been pleased with the sound. The EQ itself is worth the price.

Two things, first, I don't use pedals, but the there is a parallel effects loop on the back of the amp, so I don't see why there would be any problems running whatever effects you wanted.

Second, it's been mentioned already, but for the previous poster, flip the XLR outs to "pre-eq" and it will do exactly what you want, enabling you to adjust the volume and mix on the amp without changing the signal sent to the board. You'll have to run two cables, one for each channel.
Hi Jim,
Thanks for confirmation of my XLR 'pre-eq' comment.

Regarding the effects loop, etc: Chapinfan is playing an electric guitar, so I'm not sure why he'd even bother with the effects loop, but until he checks in again it's all conjecture.

HE
Old 11-26-2018, 05:47 PM

I think I might be able to help you on some of these issues, see below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChapinFan View Post
Well, since it was revived, let me chime in.

As far as Acoustic guitar sound goes, I've never heard anything better. In fact the way Mesa tells you to set it up on the little cheat card is pretty near perfect. Which is a good thing since there are SOOO many options you can get lost pretty easily.

I have a Guild Savoy 150-A that just sounds gorgeous with the Mesa.
So far so good, you have conquered the most difficult part.

Quote:
So, that's all good. Now let me list some things I really don't like at all -- and I hope I am wrong. I'm actually hoping someone is going to say: "You idiot. That works by doing this..." We'll see...

The Rosette assumes you're using it as an amp. That part is very well thought out. If you want to pass through to the PA system and use it as a monitor, tho... not so much.

Actually, this is covered in the manual and is the reason why there are 3 DI's on-board. You can send each channel either pre eq or post eq to the PA and they can add whatever effects might be necessary or desired out front (amount and time parameters are likely to be different at FOH compared to on stage, and in a very live room maybe no verb is needed whereas if the stage is dead you might find you need a lot more fx). Then, use the master volume to adjust the level of your mix on stage (independent of FOH) and if there is a separate monitor console you can send the third (summed, post eq, post fx) DI out for that purpose (it too is pre master volume control)

Quote:
Same for the headphone mix. You will hear the same volume as your speaker. Want to hear it in the headphone and not the speaker? Sorry. You can't do that. Well, actually, you can. Because you can unplug the speakers. But I like to have my headphone down low and bring it up slowly in case there is a sudden feedback or something. Can't do that.
The amp's designed so that if you want headphone only you can simply unplug the speaker. Without making the amp larger, a separate headphone volume control wouldn't fit.

Quote:
There is no effects loop for it. You can't drive the volume with a pedal. You can probably work something out between the head and the speaker, but it clearly isn't designed for that. The speaker plug is about 2 inches long and doesn't even reach the ground.
There is an effects loop, it's a parallel loop specifically to allow for using an effects device where different effects programs than those on-board are desired. Everybody seems to have a favorite effects device these days, most use them in front of the amp but for those that use a line level effect this is where it would go. Since it's a parallel effects loop, it's not going to work for a volume pedal. The speaker plug is intended to plug into the built in amp only, this is covered in the manual.

Quote:
I have a J Rockett Archer Klone pedal that I can't seem to find a way to bring into this system. Everything I try seems to bring in too much buzz/hum.
I am familiar with this issue. The charge pump that is being used in this device has a base oscillation frequency with a VERY wide tolerance, so even when used in boost (frequency) mode the ripple noise may very well be present in the audio band. Since the Rosette is a wide bandwidth amplifier and speaker, any such noise will be reproduced. For electric guitar use, since the speaker bandwidth is quite a bit lower, this noise is less pronounced. These charge pumps can also be sensitive to ground loops and other anomalies that can also be responsible for noise on pedals that use them.

Quote:
Then there are the effects. You have three choices: Chorus, Hall Reverb 1, and Hall reverb 2. But its the same for both channels, which means whatever effect you have on your guitar you will have to have on your voice and vice versa. That kind of sucks.

And is it too much to ask that I can have a delay/chorus and a reverb of my choice? I know that I can get that through a pedal board setup, but this thing is $1200. I was hoping it had a little more versatility.
Understood, which is why the parallel effects loop was provided. There is generally enough range to accommodate instrument level signals in most cases, but you will be operating witht he master quite a bit higher and the channel volumes lower to scale. For line level devices, that's the amp's native effects loop mode.

Quote:
I'd like to know how guys are using this with their pedalboard rig. I can't seem to find a combo that works for me.
Most of the guys I have seen using this amp with a pedalboard are using it in front of their amp. That seems to be their preferred set-up.

Quote:
My feeling about the Rosette right now is: Man the guitar sounds great. Is that worth $1200? I'm not sure. Maybe. Because it honestly sounds that good. But I wish as much thought had been put into the rest of it. The vocals don't seem to be as well thought out. And I am more than a little disappointed that the headphone doesn't have its own volume control and the effects are so limited.

If this were $750 I'd just shut up and enjoy the guitar tone. But for $1200, and the fact that it says MESA on it, I was kind of expecting more...
I understand your frustration, and given what you want out of an amp this may not be the best choice for you. Every product requires trade-offs and every user has different needs.

Hope this helps. You can always PM me for assistance.

Last edited by agedhorse; 02-15-2019 at 02:31 PM.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agedhorse View Post
I think I might be able to help you on some of these issues, see below:
Thanks to everyone who took the time to set the record straight. I'm really happy to hear I was wrong about not being able to send a pre-mix signal.

I can live without the headphone jack having its own mix in most cases.

I still don't understand the difference in a parallel FX loop -- but I'll look into that more.

So, is my J Rockett Archer Klone pedal just SOL with this amp? And where does a volume pedal go? I kind of like to control that so if I fingerpick I can boost the volume, but when I really dig in I want to roll a little off. The problem is when I get to strumming "I play guitar with all the delicacy that Lizzy Borden played the axe."

Thanks again.
Old 02-15-2019, 02:34 PM

If you need to use a volume pedal to prevent an axe murder, it's going to need to be used before going into the amp. Not ideal, I know, but for those who felt that the parallel loop for substituting external the effects was so important, this can't be done any other way (practically).
Old 02-17-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agedhorse View Post
If you need to use a volume pedal to prevent an axe murder, it's going to need to be used before going into the amp. Not ideal, I know, but for those who felt that the parallel loop for substituting external the effects was so important, this can't be done any other way (practically).
OK. I need to play around with some things on the Rosette. Thanks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification