The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-16-2018, 01:09 PM

Default Klos CF Travel Guitar

I love options! Have a listen!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwifStOsZC8

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 09-16-2018, 01:30 PM

I considered one if these and watched a ton of reviews. I like the price but the all carbon and clips of the journey convinced me to go that way and I'm happy with it.
Old 09-16-2018, 03:42 PM

The two things I don't like are the wooden neck and 4 screws that hold everything together.

Very tempted by their new Uke though. Still has a wooden neck, but it's permanently attached.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 09-16-2018, 04:20 PM

It looks like a wooden bridge as well...

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 09-16-2018, 06:17 PM
Guest 928

The Klos is a great guitar relative to travelbility, relative to price, and relative to sound. From what I've read, seen and heard, it does not come up to the performance and perfection standards of the big four: Blackbird, Emerald, Peavey, and Rainsong. I suspect that it would also not come up to the standards of the new Journey travel CF guitar.

If economy, travel, and camping were my primary concerns, I'd buy one in a flash.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:50 AM

In the video, he shows a profile view of the headstock, how it is bent first down and then back out to normal in direction.

Though this is made of wood, it seems it would be a natural for making with CF if there were avantages.

I wonder if it has advantages or disadvantages over other headstocks other than a greater break angle? Maybe it helps keep the length a bit shorter?? Any ideas?
Old 09-17-2018, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
In the video, he shows a profile view of the headstock, how it is bent first down and then back out to normal in direction.

Though this is made of wood, it seems it would be a natural for making with CF if there were avantages.

I wonder if it has advantages or disadvantages over other headstocks other than a greater break angle? Maybe it helps keep the length a bit shorter?? Any ideas?
It's the same basic concept as a telecaster/stratocaster neck. It's sturdy and a solid single piece vs having a tilt-back from a single piece of wood (a la Martin) or two pieces with a joint (a la Taylor). The main reason I presmume they do it how they do it is cost. You can use a single piece of lumber to make your neck this way, so it's less wood than a Martin style and less work than a Taylor style. Similarly, the attachment to the body is that of a Fender electric, so no heel block like a traditional acoustic design, thus, again, allowing for that single piece of wood bringing the cost down and, in theory, some stability back up, particularly with the overall shorter length of the neck with the stubby headstock.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber