The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-28-2018, 02:57 PM

Horses for courses.

If I had a smaller lot - something I could push through in 1/2 hour or so - no question I would do electric... Especially if I had "Up north grass"....

But as it is, I do gas.....

I think the main difference is that electric mowers are a fairly new technology where gas mowers have been around for the better part of 70 years... Swapping out the gas motor for an electric motor was the early strategy - and like corded vs cordless drills and saws - didn't work well. So now they have refined the motor, deck, and blade designs as well as continuing the drive for HUGE improvements to batteries/power supply... I think electric mowers are worlds better than 10 or 15 years ago - when they would sort of cut most grass OK but wouldn't handle weeds or overgrown grass.... Now they do fine.
Old 07-02-2018, 12:03 PM

Sometimes I envy you folks who can use the electric mowers. I live on and mow about 4 acres of old growth yards, woods, and fields in the South. My front yard alone would kill the average Ego. It is not planted and tended grass but a mix of natural grasses, wildflowers, and weeds. Very natural.

I use a 25 horsepower Kawasaki powered 48" rider and two heavy duty gas trimmers. I usually mow and trim about two days a week in rotation. If I miss a week it is all over for the summer. I try not to think too much about pollution.
Old 07-02-2018, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
How quiet are electric mowers? I find I'm getting more and more sensitive to sound. I don't mean that my hearing is getting better, just that I'm more bothered by it.
Much more quiet, I can't even hear that it's going when my teenager is mowing the yard. The first time I was using it, my neighbor came over to ask about it because he'd thought a yard was being mowed 3-4 houses away, not right next door.
Old 07-02-2018, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

Looks like the perfect lawn mower for a residential lawn! Self-propelled is the only way to go if you want to mow your lawn without getting worn out - especially if you have a large lawn and are getting older. It's a beauty!
Old 07-02-2018, 04:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
Looks like the perfect lawn mower for a residential lawn! Self-propelled is the only way to go if you want to mow your lawn without getting worn out - especially if you have a large lawn and are getting older. It's a beauty!
yep large lawn and getting older so we got this self-propelled model

KevWind at Soundcloud

FOR SALE: Supro Titan Tube Amp
FOR SALE: Brauner Phantom V Mic
Old 07-03-2018, 04:55 AM

I got rid of my lawn mowers and contracted a yard service.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

I just got rid of the lawn completely!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic