The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-06-2024, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justpounds View Post
I like the guild brand for no other reason than it seems like one with history and I like the logo! My budget is up to 」1000 or about $1250.
D-140 is a rockin' dread.

I owned an F-240E Deluxe for a while. It's a proper Guild 17-inch jumbo with arched laminated maple back. (Iiuc, the US made maple-back jumbos were/are all laminated.)

If you're looking for something different and bigger than your Yammy FS and Ibanez then either could qualify. And D-140 has a 1.75" nut.

More different still and if you sometimes pluck with finger nails or would like to try, don't ignore nylon string guitars. They aren't quieter and are enormous fun too. We won't think you less of a man for it. Well, some of us won't. I won't.
Old 04-06-2024, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefsb View Post
D-140 is a rockin' dread.

I owned an F-240E Deluxe for a while. It's a proper Guild 17-inch jumbo with arched laminated maple back. (Iiuc, the US made maple-back jumbos were/are all laminated.)

If you're looking for something different and bigger than your Yammy FS and Ibanez then either could qualify. And D-140 has a 1.75" nut.

More different still and if you sometimes pluck with finger nails or would like to try, don't ignore nylon string guitars. They aren't quieter and are enormous fun too. We won't think you less of a man for it. Well, some of us won't. I won't.
Ha thanks for this, I do like the look of the guilds not checked out the jumbo, think I have my heart said on the all solid though so maybe the d140 is better contender for me
Old 04-08-2024, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

Just imagine for a second I listened to all this great advice, agreed with it, but then somehow ended up bringing home a baritone acoustic guitar
Old 04-08-2024, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

Welcome Justpounds.
I have a a Guild D-260ce deluxe that I picked up last year and use as my gig guitar. Just recently put a k&k in it. I played a Martin D-18 Amberburst recently and a really enjoyed the sounds. That痴 the one I知 saving for.
In the meantime my guild sounds great through our EV evolve 50. I supply accompaniment for three female singers and the guild right now works for me as we池e gigging and making a little $$
Good luck on your journey
Old 04-08-2024, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefsb View Post
(Iiuc, the US made maple-back jumbos were/are all laminated.)
Please note that with the maple back Guilds, the fact that they're laminate is a feature, not a drawback. This is not your standard "laminate backed" guitar. For one thing, it is braceless -- no bracing at all. You think "scalloped bracing" makes a difference? How about no bracing? The other thing is the back is arched, not flat. This Guild innovation is unmatched, and the sonic output from Guild braceless maple archbacks is legendary.

As further evidence, you don't normally see a new guitar going for $4,400 that has a laminate back. That's because it's a Guild braceless arched maple back.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2014 Gibson J-15 -- 2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string -- 2012 Epiphone Dot CH

2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 04-08-2024, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well my wife is going to like you guys. I知 going to wait and look into playing with others to figure out what I like over time.

Well unless sweet deal comes up for a decent dread on local classifieds of course!!

Interestingly this guy is only 30 minutes down the road, so with a bit more saving maybe that would be cool: https://jwjguitars.co.uk/

I have to agree with Mandobart about playing with others being one of the things that can make for faster skills and development .
But you need to find a group that's helpful and forgiving. In the world of guitar you sometimes run into individuals with major ego's and they can be very destructive .
Go to some local jams to listen and introduce yourself, ask if anyones allowed to join in? See how the people react to you while you're just talking, if they're friendly and welcoming it's probably a good place to be.
It's just like any social situation really. The more laid back they are, the more teasing and banter, the better the group probably is.
I think it's fair to say that as we develop musically lots of us fall into a style of music and playing that suits us, popular music, pop, blue grass , country music, rock etc. the lists endless . What style you gravitate to will influence what type of guitar your next one should be, and that's an area the AGF enablers will happily advise , discuss and help you spend your money on.
Old 04-08-2024, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCougar View Post
Please note that with the maple back Guilds, the fact that they're laminate is a feature, not a drawback. This is not your standard "laminate backed" guitar. For one thing, it is braceless -- no bracing at all. You think "scalloped bracing" makes a difference? How about no bracing? The other thing is the back is arched, not flat. This Guild innovation is unmatched, and the sonic output from Guild braceless maple archbacks is legendary.

As further evidence, you don't normally see a new guitar going for $4,400 that has a laminate back. That's because it's a Guild braceless arched maple back.
Cool thanks for taking the time to explain that, I like the look of them a lot. The baritone tanglewood I just picked up is a jumbo, well I think its 16 inch Lower bout so mini jumbo? Anyway size is fine for me and I知 liking it so maybe the guild jumbo would be a good shout.
Old 04-08-2024, 04:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimey View Post
I have to agree with Mandobart about playing with others being one of the things that can make for faster skills and development .
But you need to find a group that's helpful and forgiving. In the world of guitar you sometimes run into individuals with major ego's and they can be very destructive .
Go to some local jams to listen and introduce yourself, ask if anyones allowed to join in? See how the people react to you while you're just talking, if they're friendly and welcoming it's probably a good place to be.
It's just like any social situation really. The more laid back they are, the more teasing and banter, the better the group probably is.
I think it's fair to say that as we develop musically lots of us fall into a style of music and playing that suits us, popular music, pop, blue grass , country music, rock etc. the lists endless . What style you gravitate to will influence what type of guitar your next one should be, and that's an area the AGF enablers will happily advise , discuss and help you spend your money on.
Thanks sounds good I live in a fairly small town so I知 not sure how much is going on here but maybe I値l be surprised. I致e got a good knobhead radar so I値l make sure I turn that on when visiting.
Old 04-08-2024, 04:10 PM

Justpounds, don't overthink. Guitars aren't rationed, we can buy as many as we want whenever we want. And tying oneself into analytical knots won't help. If I was doing the buying I'd buy the Yamaha, a used one if I could find one, and live with it. It may be all I'd ever want and the search is done. If not, I'll have some experience to bring to the search for a more satisfying instrument.
Old 04-08-2024, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks sounds good I live in a fairly small town so I知 not sure how much is going on here but maybe I値l be surprised. I致e got a good knobhead radar so I値l make sure I turn that on when visiting.
Town I live on the outskirts of is 500 people and there's a jam every Tues and Saturday, it can be surprising.
There's a web page www.meetup.com if it's in your area they may have some jams advertised .
Old 04-08-2024, 04:38 PM

Hi JP, greetings from yet another Brit. Welcome aboard - you will learn a lot here, not least that we are very much gear enablers. Lots of good advice has been shared re something new for your stable/herd/collection, chief of which is play lots of different guitars before you buy - you may go in thinking one thing and come out with a totally different thing to what you thought you were looking for: if a guitar speaks to you, then if you can, go for it.

I too have been on the "I miss the oomph of a nice strummer" journey, which ended with the recent purchase of a second-hand Atkin J43. My initial search led me to try Gibson J45s and J185s, which sounded nice, but the necks were oh, so skinny. In fact, during one of those first forays, I ended up walking out with another primarily fingerstyle guitar which I wasn't expecting. In your budget, I would be looking at Eastman (never played one, but there is so much positive noise about them, they must be doing something right), second hand Taylor 3 series (314 or 310) or even their more recent Grand Pacifics or Faith, who do a variety of materials, neck widths and levels of trim on their Mars and Saturn models. My own experience has taught me that the slope (or round) shoulder dreads are more comfortable than square shouldered dreads, especially when sitting, which is why I have two Mars slopes and aforementioned Atkin, but remember it's what you think, not us, nor the salesmen in the shops.

Keep us posted and remember to share your NGD day if it happens - with photos too as without them, it didn't happen. Besides which, we all like to drool.
Old 04-10-2024, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boombox View Post
Hi JP, greetings from yet another Brit. Welcome aboard - you will learn a lot here, not least that we are very much gear enablers. Lots of good advice has been shared re something new for your stable/herd/collection, chief of which is play lots of different guitars before you buy - you may go in thinking one thing and come out with a totally different thing to what you thought you were looking for: if a guitar speaks to you, then if you can, go for it.

I too have been on the "I miss the oomph of a nice strummer" journey, which ended with the recent purchase of a second-hand Atkin J43. My initial search led me to try Gibson J45s and J185s, which sounded nice, but the necks were oh, so skinny. In fact, during one of those first forays, I ended up walking out with another primarily fingerstyle guitar which I wasn't expecting. In your budget, I would be looking at Eastman (never played one, but there is so much positive noise about them, they must be doing something right), second hand Taylor 3 series (314 or 310) or even their more recent Grand Pacifics or Faith, who do a variety of materials, neck widths and levels of trim on their Mars and Saturn models. My own experience has taught me that the slope (or round) shoulder dreads are more comfortable than square shouldered dreads, especially when sitting, which is why I have two Mars slopes and aforementioned Atkin, but remember it's what you think, not us, nor the salesmen in the shops.

Keep us posted and remember to share your NGD day if it happens - with photos too as without them, it didn't happen. Besides which, we all like to drool.
Thanks and good to be here!
Old 04-15-2024, 12:16 PM

Welcome to the forum Justpounds - I am pretty sure that your questions have been answered many times. I echo the thought of playing with others - you will really begin to learn at another level when you do this. Trust me.

I just wanted to add that this thread should be nominated for the BEST ever!!! I love the positive replies and overall vibe created. You are in great hands. If only we could all sit in a room together and play

Cheers and all the best on your guitar journey!!!!
Old 04-15-2024, 08:05 PM

Welcome aboard. I like your enthusiasm and need to take note that I need to get rid of some bad habits.....although I think it is too late for me sometimes.

As far as upgrading guitars go....only you will know what it is you will like. So I suggest going to a reputable dealer that has many different models to try out. You may find something that you like that you did not even consider.

Also on another note.......this is my 2 cents.....whether or not you have considered this but.....get the most guitar that your budget will allow......for example...if your shooting for say....700.00 budget.....take a look at the 1000.00 ones before you pull the trigger. It might be worth the extra investment.

Good luck
Old 04-27-2024, 11:24 AM
Charter Member

Well after much obsession still looking at guitars despite decision I should just focus on getting better, I picked up a used but mint condition Yamaha ll6 for 」250. I was looking for an fg830 but this came up first and I liked the gold tuners! Sounds lovely to my untrained ear and I値l stop my trawling for guitars now. I値l wait until my wife stops grimacing when I play before spending more.

Final guitars for now smallest to biggest with price sourced via classifieds for interest

Yamaha GL1 guitarlale 」60
Cort earth mini (daughters) 」50
Yamaha FSTA 」275
Ibanez AC240 」90
Yamaha LL6 - 」250
Tanglewood baritone TWBZ - 」240

Thanks for all the advice and look forward to my future posts being about an advancing ability!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion