The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-24-2018, 08:25 PM

Default Wood Question - Non-Guitar

Hi all,

I'm going to be building a challenge coin rack. I have a nice chunk of flamed maple heading my way for the build. It has a live edge, and I'm on the fence as to whether to add some darker hard wood around the other sides. Once I get the wood in hand I'll make that call.

My question is for the finish, what do you all recommend? I have been thinking of doing a danish oil with beeswax. I want the grain to really pop even though it will be hidden by coins over time.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:05 PM

If you do not have spray gear, then I would use a rub on poly.

One cannot under estimate the beauty and finish from using this type of product, it does take a bit of work doing successive coats for levelling, but the finish is flawless

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 02-25-2018, 06:38 AM
Charter Member

I like Waterlox for popping grain. It’s Tung oil based and really enhances the grain and depth. I use the “original”. It’s fairly thin and can be wiped or brushed. For my first two coats, I flood the surface until it looks like no more will be absorbed, then wipe off the excess. For subsequent coats, I brush on thin coats using a good brush. Each coat builds more gloss and you can just stop when you get the gloss you want.

Waterlox has a strong amber color, something you may or may not want on maple. It’s expensive and it doesn’t keep once opened, although if you do something to get the air out of the can, it will keep longer. I added glass marbles to the can to displace the air.

As with any oil finish, be sure to properly dispose of oil soaked rags - they can spontaneously combust.
Old 02-25-2018, 01:00 PM

Thanks for the replies. Now to do some more research.
Old 02-25-2018, 04:04 PM

I like Fromby's Tung Oil. I used it on a Ukulele last time and was really quite pleased with the look of it. Prior to that I used it on some oak furniture I made. It's a wipe on varnish basically.
Old 02-26-2018, 10:12 AM

Minwax Polyoil

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair