The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 01-23-2006, 10:18 PM

Default upcoming leonard cohen documentary

the 1965 film i have on dvd is just horrible. i could have done better with a super-8 movie camera and a 15-minute interview:

Quote:
Ladies and Gentlemen... Mr. Leonard Cohen (1965)
but i followed a clue in a blog to this notice that a new documentary is currently being screened at sundance. what i can't believe is that mel gibson's name is associated with it. perhaps he made so much $$$ on 'christ' that he's going to be financing a lot of projects. but even i can't make much of a connection between 'christ' and 'cohen'.

anyway, here's the details i've come up with. i for one will be purchasing it at the first opportunity if it ever makes it to dvd in spite of the quite negative review at the imdb link:

Quote:
LEONARD COHEN I'M YOUR MAN
U.S.A., 2005, 104 Minutes, color

Director:
Lian Lunson

If you've ever been a Leonard Cohen fan, Lian Lunson's movie will be irresistible. If you've never listened to Leonard Cohen, you will be struck by something ineffable, sensual, and deeply truthful in his music and person. A riveting tribute concert and artful biopic combined, Leonard Cohen I'm Your Man is an exquisitely drawn, revelatory portrait of a songwriter, poet, and philosopher who has long been out of the public eye. Soulful interviews become lyrical memoirs in and of themselves as Cohen generously shares anecdotes from his life (the Chelsea Hotel scene, tea and oranges with the real Suzanne) and humbly reflects on elusive big ideas like love and destiny. Perhaps most arresting is his mellifluous, breathtaking use of conversational language. Here, as in his songs, syntax, cadence, and voice tap into something both mystical and deeply grounded, at once dark and beautiful, as if sadness and joy flowed from the same well. As The Edge (of U2 fame) puts it, he "comes down from the mountaintop with the tablets of stone." Woven throughout are evocative performances of Cohen's repertoire by illustrious crooning admirers, including Nick Cave, Rufus Wainwright, Beth Orton, and the McGarrigle Sisters; the film's surprise musical finale is well worth waiting for. These inspired interpretations, along with thoughtful testimonials by artists like Bono, attest to the powerful influence and resonance of the creative force–and the self-deprecating, sly, funny, searching human being–that is Leonard Cohen.— Caroline Libresco

Executive Producers : Lian Lunson, Mel Gibson, Erik Nelson
Producer : Lian Lunson
Cinematographers : Geoff Hall, John Pirozzi, Lian Lunson, Brit Marling
Editor : Mike Cahill
Music : Leonard Cohen
Music Supervisor : Hal Willner
www.imdb.com/title/tt0478197/
(note: i thought sundance just showed unreleased movies that had not been previously screened. now i'm wondering why imdb listed it as a released movie and already had a review of it?)

/guy

Last edited by gteague; 01-24-2006 at 01:12 PM.
Old 01-24-2006, 05:40 AM

guy - thanks for the heads-up. i love Cohen's music!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell