The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 01-16-2006, 05:33 PM
Charter Member

Tim,
Take it as a compliment as it was meant. Oldy moldy was just my reaction to this particular piece, sort of like "Stairway to Heaven" is to a guitar shop employee You played and recorded it well.
Rick

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 01-18-2006, 06:21 PM

Larry, DJanzen, Rick - I appreciate the comments. Thanks.

For anyone interested, this piece makes a good improvision exercise for scale work ...fun to just wander around in the E harmonic minor scale (E, F#, G, A, B, C, D#, E) during the minor section, and in the E major scale for the major section.

Tim
Old 01-18-2006, 06:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Lawler
...For anyone interested, this piece makes a good improvision exercise for scale work ...fun to just wander around in the E harmonic minor scale (E, F#, G, A, B, C, D#, E) during the minor section, and in the E major scale for the major section.
Hi Tim...
Thank you for the new definition of what to call my ''wandering around'' in the middle of a piece. From now on, I'm just improvising.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-20-2006, 12:59 PM

Timothy, I just listened to your recording. I did not notice it on the forum until today. Nicely done. What makes this even more interesting to me is my cousin in Chicago just sent an mp3 file of her son playing this piece and it is played differently. Much slower with more pronounced rit. It's interesting to here other people's interpretation of a specific piece. Different player, different feel. Very enjoyable.
2018 Peerless Cremona 16
2019 Schecter J4 bass
Old 01-20-2006, 02:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot
Timothy, I just listened to your recording. I did not notice it on the forum until today. Nicely done. What makes this even more interesting to me is my cousin in Chicago just sent an mp3 file of her son playing this piece and it is played differently. Much slower with more pronounced rit. It's interesting to here other people's interpretation of a specific piece. Different player, different feel. Very enjoyable.
Yes, this piece is more often played slower with accelerando / decelerando in place to place.
Rick

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 01-20-2006, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriot
... It's interesting to here other people's interpretation of a specific piece. Different player, different feel. Very enjoyable.
Thanks patriot. Variety in interpretation is a good thing, I agree. And a particular musician may play the same piece very differently at different times... it's a moment-by-moment temporal art after all. I often plan out how I want to work a piece for recording and then change my approach a lot during the recording process, going with the inspiration of the moment and how the expression of the piece is coming through on the track. I guess it’s not unlike the way one can react to a particular hall’s ambiance when performing… the sound quality of the environment affects the performance tempo, tone, etc.

I think the thing that can make this particular piece work at a quicker tempo is an emphasis on the upper voice, if the arpeggio backing can be kept relaxed enough so it can still have an easy feel to it. I was singing the upper voice in my head while recording it, picturing a vocalist performing the line with guitar accompaniment, though this track was done a while ago.

Rick - thanks for adding your comments.

Tim
Old 01-23-2006, 03:16 PM

I've been out of town and missed a few weeks of the forum. Romanza was nicely played, I thought I was listening to Parkening there for a minute! Has anyone asked what guitar you are playing? If not, could you share that with us?
Old 01-24-2006, 09:24 AM

I appreciate it khayes. Parkening sure popularized the piece with his recording of the Jack Marshal arrangement in the... was it from the mid 70's? I've always admired his tone.

As far as the guitar used... I built it in '92. If you care to see it, it's pictured here under construction - right side middle pic; the finished guitar is on the CD cover pictured lower right.

Tim

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell