The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-01-2020, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

Question Latest Gibson Acoustics under new CEO?

I know Gibson has a new CEO that really seems to be trying to do things the correct way to get Gibson back to its former glory. Has anyone played any of the 2019/20 built Gibson acoustics? How do they compare to Martin Custom Shop and other boutique builders now?

I feel like I gave up on the brand in about 2008 personally. When I'd play an old 30s or 40s Gibson acoustic I'd just about shake my head in shame compared to the new models they were making. Those old models were so incredible and lightly built and responsive compared to a lot of the new versions of the same guitars which were dull and lifeless.

I'd prefer people who have in hand experience with guitar made in the last year to comment if possible.

I was excited to see they are making US built Epiphone guitars now too! What a great step that is!! I'd for sure like to get my hands on some new ones.

Thanks

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 02-01-2020, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

I think the new acoustics are only this year (2020) and not
out yet.

I played a 2019 j-45 and a rosewood 2006 j-45 last week
and they were nice. I have a 1953 cf-100 and they were
very different from it in terms of feeling lightly built.

Have you looked on here?

https://www.gibson.com/Guitars/Colle...ic-Custom-Shop

I think these are the high-zoot new gibsons you are looking for, still
only available for pre-order...

-Mike
Old 02-01-2020, 01:36 PM
Guest 33123

My 2015 L-1 Blues Tribute and 2015 L-00 Vintage are light as potato chips and explosively loud. My 2012 J-45 Standard is one of the best sounding guitars I've ever owned too and I've been at this for 35 years. Not featherweight but nowhere near as heavy as my 000-28VS. Not sure what Gibsons you were trying.

I give this thread about three more posts before it degrades into the usual weekly AGF Gibson bashfest...
Old 02-01-2020, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

I played a few brand new SJ-200s and J-100 models down at the Hollywood Guitar Center a few years back that was quite disappointing! I remember the J-100 models being like $2799 and they sounded similar to a $600 acoustic. I guess it may have been a model thing but I know the 90s and early 2000s SJ-200 models I played were very nice sounding guitars. I also played a few J-45s. I'm for sure not trying to bash a brand, and I'm excited about the new direction they are headed.

Back in the 90s and 2000s Martin was tired of being out Martined for lack of a better description by brands like Santa Cruz, Collings and others they got the Custom shop up and running at full steam and they have been churning out incredible instruments for about 30 years now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
My 2015 L-1 Blues Tribute and 2015 L-00 Vintage are light as potato chips and explosively loud. My 2012 J-45 Standard is one of the best sounding guitars I've ever owned too and I've been at this for 35 years. Not featherweight but nowhere near as heavy as my 000-28VS. Not sure what Gibsons you were trying.

I give this thread about three more posts before it degrades into the usual weekly AGF Gibson bashfest...

Old 02-01-2020, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

Thanks I didn't know that. I am probably premature with this post then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubcapsc View Post
I think the new acoustics are only this year (2020) and not
out yet.

I played a 2019 j-45 and a rosewood 2006 j-45 last week
and they were nice. I have a 1953 cf-100 and they were
very different from it in terms of feeling lightly built.

Have you looked on here?

https://www.gibson.com/Guitars/Colle...ic-Custom-Shop

I think these are the high-zoot new gibsons you are looking for, still
only available for pre-order...

-Mike

Old 02-01-2020, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

Not this one, for sure. I bought a used AG Parlor rosewood last year and could not be more pleased with fit, finish, tone and playability.

Last edited by M19; 02-01-2020 at 04:37 PM.
Old 02-01-2020, 05:19 PM

I have played and bought more Gibsons this past year than ever in my life. I had been a Martin guy for the previous 25 or so years, when I could actually afford a new guitar. Working, raising kids, paying the mortgage, etc.. A couple years ago Gibson acoustics caught my ears and I went a little goofy playing and buying too many. My most recent is a G45 Standard. It's a really nice sounding guitar. Experiences with the 2017 Hummingbird, 2017 SJ-200 Western Classic and Standard, 2018 L-00 Standard, 2018 J-45 Standard, 2020 G45 Studio and Standard, and a 2020 J-45 Studio have been very satisfying. I didn't buy them all but they all were amazing instruments. Gibson Montana is making beautiful guitars, at all levels.
Old 02-01-2020, 05:48 PM
Charter Member

IMO, no matter who was managing the company, Bozeman was the least of their problems. At any rate, every new Gibson I've played has been nothing short of excellent. They have some interesting models available, and lots of them. Everyone has their own flavor and only you know what you are looking fir, but definitely give them a try. They are making some great stuff. Compared to Martin? Can't help you with an opinion there. I haven't played any new Martin offerings.
Old 02-01-2020, 05:57 PM

According to my local guitar shop, who were a Gibson dealer until they finally had enough last year, the problem was mainly on their electrics. They were expected to make far more guitars than the reasonably could with any level of quality and consistency and that has now been corrected.

From what I understand, Gibson acoustics have been pretty good for a while now.

I have a 2019 Hummingbird and while there a cosmetic issues a small niggles a plenty, it's by far the best acoustic I've ever touched. But I've not played anything else at the price point, so take that with a pinch of salt.

You mentioned lightness... My hummingbird weighs nothing. Well, not nothing, but under 4 lbs, which is very light considering its size. It's about the same as my GS mini. It feels light and responsive to play too (which I know is what you really meant).

Last edited by RalphH; 02-01-2020 at 06:05 PM.
Old 02-01-2020, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickcity View Post
IMO, no matter who was managing the company, Bozeman was the least of their problems.
I'd have to agree with this. My 2014 custom shop J45 is an amazing guitar. Apparently Bozeman was far enough away to have avoided Henry's robotuner wrath!
Old 02-01-2020, 06:11 PM

Good to read positive comments regarding Gibson guitars.
This year just might be the time I finally buy one.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 02-01-2020, 06:31 PM

Let us know how you get on - i'd be interested to see how you think the modern guitars compare to the old ones. The prevailing view I seem to have picked up is that gibson have had something of a second (or 3rd?) golden age over the last 10 years. You might have given up just a few years too soon.
Old 02-01-2020, 06:36 PM

I had a 2018 J-45 for a little while and it was exceptional in tone and finish.
Old 02-02-2020, 07:01 AM

I reviewed Slash's new J45 signature for The Guitar Magazine which as about as far removed from the usual guitar I'd play as it's possible to get. I enjoyed it though - It's a rocker's J45 which when you consider what it's made for works very well.

You can read the whole review (including a look at the new Les Pauls in the same collection) right here
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.
Old 02-02-2020, 07:16 AM

I don’t think they could have made my 2019 J-45 Cutaway any lighter. It’s a fantastic guitar.

Gretsch 6228FM
Fender Troy Van Leeuwen Jazzmaster
Michael Tuttle T style

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion