The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-19-2019, 05:11 PM

Exclamation Help Identifying Classical Guitar Please

I bought this guitar site unseen and was told it was a Washburn, but to me it doesn't look like a Washburn (I may be wrong). Any help is greatly appreciated.

Pics located here

https://slflick72.wixsite.com/allthingsflick

Thank you.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:39 PM

If I was told that it was an all-laminate Japanese from the '60s/'70s I wouldn't doubt it.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:02 AM

Yeah I'm not thinking that it's a $2000 Ramirez, just wanted some help identifying the guitar. Just like meeting a new friend, you want to know something about them. I do however appreciate everyone's time spent looking.
Old 02-20-2019, 09:28 AM

It looks a lot like the vintage Takamine classicals... I did a google search "Vintage Takamine Classical" and looked at some images from 70's era.

The rosette's and tie-block on those are very similar to yours.

I can't tell from your photo's if the top is laminate or not. A good check is to look closely at the edge of the top in the sound-hole.

If you see different coloration's that looks like layers of wood; it's more than likely laminate. If not, you've got a sold top classical

Hope that helps

Dave
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 02-20-2019, 01:11 PM

You are correct it does look like a Takamine, almost like a 1967 Country side binding and 70's style rosettes. I do not see any different coloration in the edge of the sound hole so I'm guessing it is a solid top. I was told on another website by someone that it looked like a cheap mass produced Japanese guitar that he wouldn't give $20 for. Have to say that was a bit of a gut punch..

Again all help is appreciated and Thank you Dave for your help
Old 02-21-2019, 10:11 PM

I have seen that rosette before and I think it was on a Takamine, too.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:15 PM

If you go to the Takamine site and look closely at the rosette for the C132s it looks exactly like your rosette.
Old 02-22-2019, 01:33 AM

Default Classical Guitar Brand

This looks like a guitar built by Matsumoku . Matsumoku was probably the best guitar builder in Japan in the 1970s. These guitars were intermediate guitars sold in music stores throughout the USA and Great Britain. They sold with different brand names on the guitars, and made guitars of different quality levels. I have a Granada guitar made by Matsumoku that is similar; mine has a solid top and a narrow nut for a classical. It sounds very nice and is louder than my Takamine classical. They labeled the guitars with a large paper name tag that was glued inside the sound hole, a lot of these came loose and are now gone. There are a lot of these guitars for sale on Reverb.com, usually for about $100.00.
I bought mine a few months ago with a newer hardshell case for $25.00, but it could use a neck reset.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical