The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-21-2014, 01:40 PM

Default Newer Carbon Fiber Cases?

I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with the new Hoffee Carbon-Fiber cases (non flight, lighter weight, available in classical and dread sizes, etc?). I heard that they were similar in most ways to the standard Hoffee cases, but considerably lighter and not meant to be flight cases per se....I haven't seen or heard any comments from those who have them or seen them. Also, I'd be interested in thoughts on the new Calton cases built in the U.S. and the Main Stage Cases? Fit and finish, weight, durability, latches, handle, seals, etc...?? I like the current Hoffee cases, but am looking for something a bit lighter, but still durable and a bit more resistant to temp/humidity variations than some of the traditional cases out there.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

I would personally stay away from Main Stage.
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=301763
Old 05-21-2014, 02:21 PM

Default Newer Carbon Fiber Cases?

Hiscox cases are worth researching I think.
'66 Gibson J-200, '55 J50, JB Model 1; Martin M-36; Micheletti Osprey Rigid Rim; Collings OM2H, GR Bear OM C; Emerald X10 Slimline; Gretsch HOF Country Gent & G6120CMHOF; Gibson ES-165; CP Thornton Improv; Veillette Flyer 14 & Lyric; Anderson Crowdster++ ....
Old 05-25-2014, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

Any recommendations on affordable, not too heavy, but durably safe flight cases? I realize I just repeated most people's requirements, but I am now flying a lot more than I used to with guitars and am basically clueless. My relatively sturdy Taylor case recently took a massive beating with a gate check in no less. And that case was my strongest built factory stock case ... my others would have maybe not protected the instrument.
Old 05-25-2014, 02:35 PM
AGF Sponsor

I have ordered, received, and shipped my first of the new Hoffee cases. I did have a custom interior put into it, and we did have to revamp it slightly, but it was done cheerfully and in a timely fashion at no further expense to me.

I was a fan of the first gen case due to it's lightness, not so much for the design, however. The second gen case is long on design, but is as heavy as a Calton, which I have not loved. The third gen case, which is NOT the same design as the second gen case, is much more what I am interested in. It is attractive, solves the issues I had with the first gen, and weighs significantly less that the 2nd gen. The only issue I may have is that the head box is a bit narrow, and I do not think all of my head designs will fit in there. I will be ordering more of these as time passes.
Old 05-25-2014, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
I have ordered, received, and shipped my first of the new Hoffee cases. I did have a custom interior put into it, and we did have to revamp it slightly, but it was done cheerfully and in a timely fashion at no further expense to me.

I was a fan of the first gen case due to it's lightness, not so much for the design, however. The second gen case is long on design, but is as heavy as a Calton, which I have not loved. The third gen case, which is NOT the same design as the second gen case, is much more what I am interested in. It is attractive, solves the issues I had with the first gen, and weighs significantly less that the 2nd gen. The only issue I may have is that the head box is a bit narrow, and I do not think all of my head designs will fit in there. I will be ordering more of these as time passes.
Bruce, any guesstimate on the price point for a case like the third gen Hoffee? I think I remember around $1000 for current cases ... expensive but if you factor in the emotional attachment + cost of your time finding the right guitars, regardless of how much the guitar itself costs (high end Sexauer or budget Chinese), it is worth it IMO (have debated this many times). Wish I could figure out how to get one case to carry any of my main ones, which I think is not possible with the custom fit.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:15 AM

I was able to take a close look at a couple of new Calton cases, made right here in Austin TX now, and I was impressed. It seemed very lightweight yet rigid, and very well designed. I especially liked the rubber rim: on my current case the same feature is aluminum and I constantly worry about scratches. I would buy one if I traveled by air with my guitar, but it's a bit too expensive just for carrying my guitar to local jams, which is all I currently do.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:50 AM
Humanist

To clarify:

People may be talking about the two different (current) variants that Hoffee is now selling, but mistaking them as being different "generations".

Hoffee went through a couple (or more) design changes (and multiple price-points) to get to his current high-end product. They are good, significantly lighter than any fiberglass-based case that *any* of the Calton companies made (or currently make). The larger cases from Hoffee do have a small amount of flex across the top, but I think most customers do not find fault with this.

Now Hoffee has introduced an *additional* product, a lighter-weight (and slightly less expensive) alternative to his main high-end case.

I believe that this is what the OP is asking about.

I have not seen one...just wanted to clarify the issue...
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 05-26-2014, 10:22 AM
AGF Sponsor

Maybe "generation" is the wrong word, but I think it is the right one. I have seen/owned 3 distinct designs, each presented several years after its predecessor was introduced. I have many times told Jeff that it was the light weight that first attracted me to his case, and the gen 2, relatively sophisticated as it is, was disappointing to me in this regard as I find it weighs very close to the same as a Calton. To me, the new case feels like he was listening. It seems much sturdier to me than the gen 1, and I never hesitated to ship in that case!
Old 05-26-2014, 10:59 AM

I find my Hoffee case for the Petros is as light as I would possibly want it. Do you really find them to be heavy?
Old 05-26-2014, 11:30 AM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Maybe "generation" is the wrong word, but I think it is the right one. I have seen/owned 3 distinct designs, each presented several years after its predecessor was introduced. I have many times told Jeff that it was the light weight that first attracted me to his case, and the gen 2, relatively sophisticated as it is, was disappointing to me in this regard as I find it weighs very close to the same as a Calton. To me, the new case feels like he was listening. It seems much sturdier to me than the gen 1, and I never hesitated to ship in that case!

Just to make sure, Bruce...you're aware that Hoffee currently has the two distinct "models" (or levels, as it were), that are differentiated in relation to weight, protection, and price...?

Old 05-26-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
Just to make sure, Bruce...you're aware that Hoffee currently has the two distinct "models" (or levels, as it were), that are differentiated in relation to weight, protection, and price...?
Is the other, less expensive model available in custom sizes? I thought that series was only available for a dread or classical shape (as mentioned by the OP and as listed on Jeff Hoffee's site).
Old 05-26-2014, 11:57 AM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dneal View Post
Is the other, less expensive model available in custom sizes?

I couldn't answer that to save my life...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dneal View Post
I thought that series was only available for a dread or classical shape (as mentioned by the OP and as listed on Jeff Hoffee's site).

You're likely correct on this...I have zero knowledge, beyond the fact that Jeff is offering a lower-weight, less-protection, lower-cost case now...in addition to the regular full-fledged cases.

Old 05-26-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaD4 View Post
I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with the new Hoffee Carbon-Fiber cases (non flight, lighter weight, available in classical and dread sizes, etc?). I heard that they were similar in most ways to the standard Hoffee cases, but considerably lighter and not meant to be flight cases per se....I haven't seen or heard any comments from those who have them or seen them. Also, I'd be interested in thoughts on the new Calton cases built in the U.S. and the Main Stage Cases? Fit and finish, weight, durability, latches, handle, seals, etc...?? I like the current Hoffee cases, but am looking for something a bit lighter, but still durable and a bit more resistant to temp/humidity variations than some of the traditional cases out there.
The thing to ask Jeff Hoffee is whether or not his lighter cases use the same foam. Honestly, it was the egg-drop video that sold me on his cases. Shock absorption and support are the most important aspect of a case, IMHO. Headstocks don't get snapped due to crushing or puncture problems when the Samsonite gorilla gives it a toss...

I bought a Hoffee because the Ameritage my Froggy was in was getting worn, and was ridiculously heavy. It was built like a tank, and felt like it when you picked it up. Although not nearly as heavy as that old Ameritage, the Hoffee case was surprisingly heavy. He's not really leveraging the strengths of carbon fiber, and building the same way you would with fiberglas. The resin is where the weight is coming from. Carbon fiber has very high tensile strength, and that's it. The weave and build are not optimized for the strengths of the material (the opinion of a couple of friends that are crew chiefs in World Super Sport and IDM (German National Championship) motorcycle racing).

That's not a knock on the case though. They're awesome, and well worth the price asked. Just don't think it's going to be a featherweight because it's using carbon fiber as the material the resin impregnates.

--edit--

Foam test begins at 3:20

Old 05-26-2014, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Especially the video, dneal ... had not seen that, but I can see checking that in anywhere--even on "Lost" Oceanic Flight 815! Looks like it would survive the Pacific and time shifts.

SJ ... I will also check out the local Calton cases at Hill Country. Was looking at those online, but going down there next weekend to see the new shop (kind of late:-).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop