The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-05-2024, 04:32 AM

Default Eastman AC330E-12 - stock strings

Hi!

It's been a while since I was last on here, 2018 I can see. I've been doing research on 12 strings (the never-ending story) and was directed to this forum a lot too.

I've seen many, many positive reviews about the Eastman AC330E-12. Now I believe I saw a post about the thickness of the strings that come on it swinging by here but I can't find it back. Usually the standard strings for a 12 string are around 10-47, give or take different brands slightly altering that. The Eastman however, comes with D'Addarios EJ39's, which is 12-52 in thickness! So I can definitely imagine the guitar will sound great with those strings, but I can't imagine it plays very comfortably as that's pretty heavy for a 12 string!

It would seem an odd choice, as I think set-up wise, it will be more difficult to go to a heavier gauge, then back to a lighter gauge? Plus, it's a bit misleading, as it will sound very good. But when it's time to put on new strings and you just put on a regular set - most brands only sell 10-47's for 12 strings - the sound should be a lot less.

Well that's my thoughts on it, but I wonder how you guys feel about this or if you maybe have or had the guitar, and what your experiences were.

Thanks!

Marit
Old 01-05-2024, 05:52 AM

I've been playing 12-strings for over a decade and a half. In that time, I've typically used D'Addario EJ38s (.010-,047), and I think the sound is decently full. Not only that, but IMO, it helps the reduce the stress to the guitar body, which avoids issues I learned about the hard way from a 70s Guild G212 I bought at a guitar show, that had used heavier gauge strings, and also had been tuned to standard/Concert E pitch (which added to the stress, due to the increased tension it causes). Guild 12-strings are supposed to be pretty heavily built compared to some 12-strings, but my G-212 ended up having the following problems:

1. The neck pulling up/folding in towards the body.
2. Significant bowing of the top.
3. Lifting of the bridge.

The G212 was a great sounding guitar, but due to the cost to have a neck reset (which at the time I just could not afford), I ended up letting it go.

In short - it would be a good idea to change strings to a lighter gauge set.

My Smile Makers:

Guild OM-120
Guild F-2512E Deluxe 12-string
Eastman E3DE
2013 Ibanez AFJ-95
Old 01-05-2024, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenGtrGrl View Post
I've been playing 12-strings for over a decade and a half. In that time, I've typically used D'Addario EJ38s (.010-,047), and I think the sound is decently full. Not only that, but IMO, it helps the reduce the stress to the guitar body, which avoids issues I learned about the hard way from a 70s Guild G212 I bought at a guitar show, that had used heavier gauge strings, and also had been tuned to standard/Concert E pitch (which added to the stress, due to the increased tension it causes). Guild 12-strings are supposed to be pretty heavily built compared to some 12-strings, but my G-212 ended up having the following problems:

1. The neck pulling up/folding in towards the body.
2. Significant bowing of the top.
3. Lifting of the bridge.

The G212 was a great sounding guitar, but due to the cost to have a neck reset (which at the time I just could not afford), I ended up letting it go.

In short - it would be a good idea to change strings to a lighter gauge set.
Thanks for the information and your experience! This would seem logical to me as well. However, since it comes with medium gauge strings stock, it's not as easy to put lights on it as it would need saddle adjustments etc. This is what Eastman is saying:
Yes, I can confirm that our sturdily built AC330E-12 comes with Medium Gauge strings. This solid wood guitar is equipped with a dual action truss rod that ensures a smoothly playing action even with the medium string set we put on our 12-string Jumbo. Lighter strings would not produce as much volume on this large body guitar.

It seems to me like a bit of a trick for people to buy the guitar. Throw medium strings on any cheap 12 string and it will definitely sound a lot fuller, of course.
Old 01-05-2024, 04:14 PM

Default Tune down a half or full step.

I had an AC330-E for a couple of years. Great sounding 12-string with excellent build-quality for the money. Mine had a slightly neck which meant there was lots of saddle height to work with when the action needed lowering after about 12 months.

The guitar played easily enough but the neck was rather chunky for someone with small hands.

The EJ39s will allow you to drop down a whole step and still sound good. Lowering the tuning often gives more bottom end.

More typical light gauge strings will still sound great but will be too flappy tuned down more than half a step.

My current 12-string has a custom set 11-50 tuned down a full step.
Old 01-06-2024, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikpearson View Post
I had an AC330-E for a couple of years. Great sounding 12-string with excellent build-quality for the money. Mine had a slightly neck which meant there was lots of saddle height to work with when the action needed lowering after about 12 months.

The guitar played easily enough but the neck was rather chunky for someone with small hands.

The EJ39s will allow you to drop down a whole step and still sound good. Lowering the tuning often gives more bottom end.

More typical light gauge strings will still sound great but will be too flappy tuned down more than half a step.

My current 12-string has a custom set 11-50 tuned down a full step.
Thanks! I have quite small hands, together with those medium strings that probably won't play very comfortably for me. You didnt run into any issues when fitting lighter gauge strings? What 12 string do you have now?
Old 01-06-2024, 06:07 AM

Default No issues with lighter strings…

The truss rod needed a small adjustment to provide a little more relief as the reduced string tension of lights left the neck perfectly straight.

Have owned quite a few different 12-strings over the years because I love the different tone palette they offer. The Eastman sounded very good and not just for the price. The build quality of Eastman instruments is high - on a par with or in some cases better than a number of respected American factories.

Managed to pick up a Taylor LKSM for a good price; a guitar I’ve wanted to try for years. Designed to be tuned down to C or C# with heavy gauge strings, I actually prefer it down just one full tone and strung with 11-50s. It’s very easy to play, has a full bottom end whilst retaining the treble shimmer. The neck profile suits my small hands better.

If you want to experiment with string gauges, Newtone Strings in the U.K. will create custom sets for a very reasonable price.

The Eastman AC330-12 would still be my strong recommendation for most people in the £1000 range.
Old 01-06-2024, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikpearson View Post
The truss rod needed a small adjustment to provide a little more relief as the reduced string tension of lights left the neck perfectly straight.

Have owned quite a few different 12-strings over the years because I love the different tone palette they offer. The Eastman sounded very good and not just for the price. The build quality of Eastman instruments is high - on a par with or in some cases better than a number of respected American factories.

Managed to pick up a Taylor LKSM for a good price; a guitar I’ve wanted to try for years. Designed to be tuned down to C or C# with heavy gauge strings, I actually prefer it down just one full tone and strung with 11-50s. It’s very easy to play, has a full bottom end whilst retaining the treble shimmer. The neck profile suits my small hands better.

If you want to experiment with string gauges, Newtone Strings in the U.K. will create custom sets for a very reasonable price.

The Eastman AC330-12 would still be my strong recommendation for most people in the £1000 range.
I am also eyeing the Epiphone Hummingbird 12 string. Its a bit cheaper, has a shorter scale length and I know it plays comfortably. I think in tone its similar to the Eastman if that was fitted with .10 strings.
Old 01-06-2024, 11:21 AM

I have emailed around to some guitar stores that sell them, and one measures the strings on their Eastman AC330E:

I am sure there is some philosophy behind this, but it makes no sense to me. Like i said when the time comes to change strings, people will most likely get a set of lights, which will affect both sound and set up quite a bit. Very peculiar.
Old 01-06-2024, 12:16 PM

Eastman AC330E-12 - stock strings

I use 12 string light gauge {.010 - .047} on all my 12 strings, and then tune the down a semi-tone to 'D#' in standard intervals. Haven't had any neck issues so far, including one 12 string guitar from 1999 (Taylor 355).

2 Taylors and 2 Guilds (3 Jumboes and 1 Grand Orchestra). Strung with Elixirs and D'Addario XS 12 string light gauges.

I fingerpick all my instruments using my nails as picks.

Be well and tune well,

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo
Old 01-07-2024, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donlyn View Post

I use 12 string light gauge {.010 - .047} on all my 12 strings, and then tune the down a semi-tone to 'D#' in standard intervals. Haven't had any neck issues so far, including one 12 string guitar from 1999 (Taylor 355).

2 Taylors and 2 Guilds (3 Jumboes and 1 Grand Orchestra). Strung with Elixirs and D'Addario XS 12 string light gauges.

Be well and tune well,

Don
Thanks. Eastman says this about it: Yes, I can confirm that our sturdily built AC330E-12 comes with Medium Gauge strings. This solid wood guitar is equipped with a dual action truss rod that ensures a smoothly playing action even with the medium string set we put on our 12-string Jumbo. Lighter strings would not produce as much volume on this large body guitar.

The thing is that they use a weird combination of both light and medium gauge strings. If you were to fit the EJ39's, a lot more pressure would be put on the guitar too.

What other Guild 12 string do you own? I can only see 1 Guild on your heard list.
Old 01-07-2024, 04:27 AM
Charter Member

Hi, I have no experience of Taylor or Eastman 12 strings, but I have two 12 string guitars both of which date back to the 1960s.

Both are tuned one tone/step down (i.e. dD- dd)

My Martin D12020 wears D'addario EJ37.
My Harmony H270 wears Martin M190.

The Gauges on both are as advised above by Marit.

Old 01-07-2024, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi, I have no experience of Taylor or Eastman 12 strings, but I have two 12 string guitars both of which date back to the 1960s.

Both are tuned one tone/step down (i.e. dD- dd)

My Martin D12020 wears D'addario EJ37.
My Harmony H270 wears Martin M190.

The Gauges on both are as advised above by Marit.

Yes, tuned a step down I can imagine you might need slightly meatier strings.
Old 01-07-2024, 10:50 AM

Quote:

Be well and tune well,

Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by marit View Post
Thanks. Eastman says this about it: Yes, I can confirm that our sturdily built AC330E-12 comes with Medium Gauge strings. This solid wood guitar is equipped with a dual action truss rod that ensures a smoothly playing action even with the medium string set we put on our 12-string Jumbo. Lighter strings would not produce as much volume on this large body guitar.

The thing is that they use a weird combination of both light and medium gauge strings. If you were to fit the EJ39's, a lot more pressure would be put on the guitar too.

What other Guild 12 string do you own? I can only see 1 Guild on your heard list.

Hey marit,

Got your pm, but went to work shortly after I posted yesterday and am just catching up now.

The other Guild 12 string I have is an F-2512 natural which has laminate B&S which allows an unbraced arch-back design. There is a letter limit to the AGF signature. I am semi-retired now, always wanted a Guild 12 string, and bought both mine on a budget. I am a bit on the picky side, and I do not list the F-2512 not only because of space, but also because I had shopped around a bit to find a good one. Got it at a GC a few years ago on a sale, about as equivalent to what I understand GC sold them this holiday season. Given the pricing, it's worth hunting around, mostly because I like the sound. But the weakness is in the tuning keys. Got some rotomatics, but never replaced the keys because I had kind of gotten used to them and I usually check tuning before playing anyway.

I liked it so much that I searched for the all solid-wood spruce/rosewood F-1512 Jumbo variant without a pickup. Found an outstanding one. Also came with a great Guild premium gig-bag, and so I ordered that same bag from Guild for my F-2512 too. Both of these guitars are made in the orient, China I believe. I cannot afford the US made ones anymore. But I am happy with these.

I favor large Jumboes anyway, but I also find that in times of high humidity, large solid-wood bodies can tend to sound a bit off. Like being muffled or filled with socks. So I keep a few laminate bodied instruments around. Besides, Jumbo sized (17") laminates have a really nice sound to them anyway. I like the F-2512 sound enough to consider it a year-round guitar.

About strings. I used to use Medium gauge strings on all my Jumbo six strings, but somewhere along the way I switched to using the Elixir PB HD Light gauge {.013 - .053} on most of them. HD gauge uses Medium trebles with Light gauge bass strings. The big bodies give off enough bass anyway, so using this gauge gives a nice balanced sound to them. And using a Light gauge on 12 strings kind of follows the same 'course', especially on Jumbo guitars.

By the way, not all guitars like the same strings. My Alvarez prefers Light gauge and my walnut Taylor prefers Mediums. 'The wand chooses the wizard' I think the saying goes. I try to let my guitars choose the gauge. I just listen to them and they tell me.

I cannot comment on what gauge (or why) Eastman likes to send out 'Medium' gauge strings with their 12 string guitar. I've been playing 12 string guitars since the 60s, when some manufacturers would advise to tune down to 'D' due to tension issues. I had a 'tank' of a 12 string (EKO Ranger XII) then, and tuned to 'E' a lot anyway. But I did start to tune down, and since old habits die hard, I still tune down (a bit, but only) one semi-tone to 'D#'. I like the sound and it's easier on my old hands. And no neck issues.

And I play most of my material on whatever instrument I have in hand, which is often a 12 string. Don't be limited to only material on which others have used a 12 string guitar. Besides you have your own personal 'wall of sound' playing on a 12 string. Feel free to explore. Creedence (Fogerty) songs sound great on a 12. And try "Walk Don't Run" or "Pipeline" just for fun.

For what it's worth, some 12 string players like Lead Belly and Leo Kottke used heavier gauge strings, but they tuned way down.

Be well and play well,

Don

Last edited by donlyn; 01-07-2024 at 10:57 AM. Reason: proof-reading
Old 01-07-2024, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Hey marit,

Got your pm, but went to work shortly after I posted yesterday and am just catching up now.

The other Guild 12 string I have is an F-2512 natural which has laminate B&S which allows an unbraced arch-back design. There is a letter limit to the AGF signature. I am semi-retired now, always wanted a Guild 12 string, and bought both mine on a budget. I am a bit on the picky side, and I do not list the F-2512 not only because of space, but also because I had shopped around a bit to find a good one. Got it at a GC a few years ago on a sale, about as equivalent to what I understand GC sold them this holiday season. Given the pricing, it's worth hunting around, mostly because I like the sound. But the weakness is in the tuning keys. Got some rotomatics, but never replaced the keys because I had kind of gotten used to them and I usually check tuning before playing anyway.

I liked it so much that I searched for the all solid-wood spruce/rosewood F-1512 Jumbo variant without a pickup. Found an outstanding one. Also came with a great Guild premium gig-bag, and so I ordered that same bag from Guild for my F-2512 too. Both of these guitars are made in the orient, China I believe. I cannot afford the US made ones anymore. But I am happy with these.

I favor large Jumboes anyway, but I also find that in times of high humidity, large solid-wood bodies can tend to sound a bit off. Like being muffled or filled with socks. So I keep a few laminate bodied instruments around. Besides, Jumbo sized (17") laminates have a really nice sound to them anyway. I like the F-2512 sound enough to consider it a year-round guitar.

About strings. I used to use Medium gauge strings on all my Jumbo six strings, but somewhere along the way I switched to using the Elixir PB HD Light gauge {.013 - .053} on most of them. HD gauge uses Medium trebles with Light gauge bass strings. The big bodies give off enough bass anyway, so using this gauge gives a nice balanced sound to them. And using a Light gauge on 12 strings kind of follows the same 'course', especially on Jumbo guitars.

By the way, not all guitars like the same strings. My Alvarez prefers Light gauge and my walnut Taylor prefers Mediums. 'The wand chooses the wizard' I think the saying goes. I try to let my guitars choose the gauge. I just listen to them and they tell me.

I cannot comment on what gauge (or why) Eastman likes to send out 'Medium' gauge strings with their 12 string guitar. I've been playing 12 string guitars since the 60s, when some manufacturers would advise to tune down to 'D' due to tension issues. I had a 'tank' of a 12 string (EKO Ranger XII) then, and tuned to 'E' a lot anyway. But I did start to tune down, and since old habits die hard, I still tune down (a bit, but only) one semi-tone to 'D#'. I like the sound and it's easier on my old hands. And no neck issues.

And I play most of my material on whatever instrument I have in hand, which is often a 12 string. Don't be limited to only material on which others have used a 12 string guitar. Besides you have your own personal 'wall of sound' playing on a 12 string. Feel free to explore. Creedence (Fogerty) songs sound great on a 12. And try "Walk Don't Run" or "Pipeline" just for fun.

For what it's worth, some 12 string players like Lead Belly and Leo Kottke used heavier gauge strings, but they tuned way down.

Be well and play well,

Don
Hi Don,

Sorry I got you mixed up with another replier who did own the Eastman.

Their choice for the (not quite) medium gauge strings they say has to do with the big Jumbo body, light strings just would not produce as much volume is what they say. It seems to me like a clever sales tactic. Put on an odd selection of strings that make the guitar sound great, and when it comes to changing strings people will just have to deal with the consequences. After all, most Jumbo bodies 12 strings just come with light gauge strings.

I have actually tried both Guilds. Was not impressed with either (also very picky), and I don't like the chunky neck and the 48mm nut width on the F1512. The tuners on the F2512E are an adventure for sure.

Also tried the Sigma Jumbo, which is like a Gibson J-200. Looks absolutely gorgeous. Its around the same price as the Eastman but has laminate (maple) back and sides. So the sound was not as good as a solid wood guitar. Also the neck was quite chunky, and I have tiny hands.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement regarding playing a 12 string. I use light gauge strings.

I don't think the Eastman is the way to go. If I feel like it I might travel to Harlem next week and try it out, but the store hasnt been very communicative with me which kind of annoys me, haha.
Old 01-07-2024, 02:09 PM

marit,

My, you've been busy today. I've been watching snow fall.

About neck thickness. While I can adapt pretty easily to most smaller differences in neck widths and thicknesses, I tend to prefer a thicker or fatter neck. Oddly enough I came across a used sunburst laminate body Sigma GS-200 six string. It is an exact (in all dimesions except one) Gibson J-200 clone. Full width and depth, but the neck is a thicker 'C' shape and has a slightly wider (than Gibson/Epiphone 1+11/16") width of 1+3/4". I love to play it. Also sounds pretty darned good too.

It was sitting on a neck rack at GC with some bad strings on it. I usually carry analog calipers with me, but it was an accidental impromptu visit. I could tell it was under-strung. Was in great shape; maybe somebody else didn't like the neck either. Anyway, I liked the feel of it, so I brought it home. Somebody had put 11's on it and they were more than a bit crusty. Slapped some Elixir PB HD Lights (that .013 - .053 hybrid) on it and haven't looked back. Also an all year 'keeper' at this point.

Used to have a black 60's Gibson Les Paul Custom with that kind of neck and it really felt good to play. Strung it with .010's, which was a bit thick for an electric, but it was nicknamed a 'fretless wonder'. It was.

So I guess it's a case of different strokes. De gustibus non disputandum.

Just for the experience, see if you can get to play a Taylor 12 string. Might be good for a comparison if nothing else. That old 355 I have is OOP, but there are still a few out there for a cheap price, even if it's not on your buy list.

Sigma does make solid-wood guitars too, but I don't know if they have 12 string ones.

Be well and play well.
And good luck on your search,

Don

Last edited by donlyn; 01-07-2024 at 02:14 PM. Reason: proof-reading

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
eastman