The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-01-2023, 08:30 PM

Default Yamaha LL16D vs Eastman E8D

Having trouble making a decision between these two guitars. I'd like to get some thoughts and opinions from people who own or have played them. I can't find any store close by that stocks them both. Is there a clear winner between the two?

Thanks in advance.

Edit - I'm actually looking more at the eastman e8d-tc model.
Old 12-01-2023, 09:09 PM

Both nice sounding guitars. Both built well. Both reasonable in price. The Eastman dreads used to me a little more Martin like, but have become more "boutique" sounding with the influence of Bourgeois. The LL16 emphasizes overtones and a modern sound. The newer Eastmans sound a little tight from the factory but should open up into a more traditional sounding guitar than the LL16. Frankly, you picked good guitars to consider. I don't think you can go wrong. If you want to save money and like more of a D-18 sound, the Eastman E1D is also very good.
Old 12-01-2023, 10:15 PM

Agree that both are great options, but certainly different guitars. I’ve owned a LL16 (not D), same guitar without the abalone. I’m a big Yamaha fan but felt that guitar was a little stiff and I ended up selling it. But I’m sure if I would have kept and played it that it would have blossomed into a gem.

On the Eastman- I’ve played an E8D and agree that the mid range Eastmans are exceptional. I own pre-Dana E1D and also agree, it is a great guitar. I’ve bought and returned a Martin D-16GT in the past and find the E1D to be a superior example of a gloss top spruce/sapele dread. And I got it for a song.

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)
Old 12-02-2023, 07:50 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I have played the E1D in a shop not that long again. I was comparing it to the more expensive models and it seemed louder and more open. I though it maybe had something to do with the open pore / satin finish. The E1D or E2D are on my list for sure. I have a rosewood gap in my collection which is why I'm looking more at the ll16 and e8d-tc.
Old 12-02-2023, 08:54 AM

Both excellent choices but I’d add the Sigma SDR-28 (Sitka/Indian rosewood) and SDR-28M (Adi/Madigascar rosewood) to the list as well. If you like the Martin tone Sigma will get you a lot closer than Eastman or Yamaha. I’ve got three now (in my signature) and they are terrific guitars and happily mingle with my ‘better’ instruments.
Gibson J-45 JT project "1942 Banner" (Adi/Mahogany)
Eastman E20P (Adi/Rosewood)
Sigma-SDR-28MLE (Adi/Madagascan Rosewood)
Sigma SDR-45 (Sitka/Rosewood)
Sigma SDM-18 (European/Flamed Mahogany)
Freshman FA400D (Engelmann/Rosewood)
Freshman FA300 (Cedar/Hog)
Voyage Air VAD-06
Old 12-03-2023, 08:40 AM

I've played the E8OM and found it underwhelming but that wasn't the dread. Most Eastmans have been underwhelming to me but not all, not sure what that's about, they are obsessed over on the site but I just haven't seen the magic besides one very nice Eastman I played. I own an LL16 that is very loud and is an excellent all around guitar. But I haven't played the E8D, and a lot of people like them.
Like Bobster, I'd be more inclined to try a different Martin look alike, like the Sigma solid wood series. I've had my eyes on a SDR-35.
Old 12-03-2023, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellington View Post
I've played the E8OM and found it underwhelming but that wasn't the dread. Most Eastmans have been underwhelming to me but not all, not sure what that's about, they are obsessed over on the site but I just haven't seen the magic besides one very nice Eastman I played. I own an LL16 that is very loud and is an excellent all around guitar. But I haven't played the E8D, and a lot of people like them.
Like Bobster, I'd be more inclined to try a different Martin look alike, like the Sigma solid wood series. I've had my eyes on a SDR-35.
You’ve missed a number of recent Eastman threads, good to see you back!

Happy Holidays!!!
Old 12-05-2023, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new strings View Post
You’ve missed a number of recent Eastman threads, good to see you back!

Happy Holidays!!!
Thank you, though I'm a little embarrassed I seem to have developed a reputation for an unenthusiastic view of many Eastmans!
Old 12-05-2023, 06:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobster7 View Post
Both excellent choices but I’d add the Sigma SDR-28 (Sitka/Indian rosewood) and SDR-28M (Adi/Madigascar rosewood) to the list as well. If you like the Martin tone Sigma will get you a lot closer than Eastman or Yamaha. I’ve got three now (in my signature) and they are terrific guitars and happily mingle with my ‘better’ instruments.
Not sure where the OP, but if they're in the US, those new Sigma models really aren't an option.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
eastman, yamaha