The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 08-05-2003, 11:24 AM

Anybody ever play Amazing Grace to the tune of House Of The Rising Sun? Really puts a different sound to the hymn and the lyrics fit perfectly.
Old 08-05-2003, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

Haven't played it that way - but I've heard some gospel style group do it really well. It is kind of cool.
Old 08-05-2003, 03:26 PM

Location: Retired to Rio Rancho, NM (largest suburb of Albuq) 12 years ago.
Default Funerals

I second all the suggestions. One additional suggestion (widely used here in N.M., for weddings, funerals, & numerous other occasions) is "One Day At a Time," with melody by Marijohn Wilkin & words by Kris Kristofferson. The Spanish version of it is probably by Carlos Rosas, of Socorro, NM--quite famous in its own right, it is even more widely sung, at least in this State.

Yes, that's the same Kristofferson who surprisingly wrote "Sunday Morning Coming Down."

I've never played solo guitar at a funeral, but have been in a Choir singing & playing at many. At the funerals of Hispanic Catholics, this hymn is often used.

I'm Irish, not Hispanic, & belong to the Liberal Catholic Church, not R.C. But I've requested O.D.A.A.T. at my own service. (I'm 74.)

My prayers are with you....

Sincerely, Dan (Rio Rancho, NM)
I also wear a Taylor "bucket" hat & love it!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell