The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-15-2021, 02:56 PM

Default Baggs Hex & Shatten Design Dualie combo

Baggs doesn't even make the Hex pickup anymore, but I thought I'd mention this pickup combo because I'm quite happy with the way its working in my rosewood/cedar slim-bodied classical.

To begin with, my own Dualie installation (adhered to the guitar top with putty) has a relatively weak signal for passive use. I get a noticeable hum (with a 10' cable) when I use it solo, so an onboard preamp might be needed by folks who want to use it as a sole pickup.

As for the Dualie's solo tone, its way too ambient sounding for my personal taste. A little bit of the Dualie signal, however, seems to nicely soften and round out the Hex's very dry and in-your-face signal. The Hex's passive signal is very strong, so there's no noticeable hum when I blend the two signals to my personal taste.

Each pickup has its own output jack with my setup. I'm running the Hex through an old model Fishman Platinum preamp/DI. I'm running the Dualie through a Baggs PADI. I've experimented with reversing the phase on one of the signals, but get better results (by far) without reversing phase. Every setup is unique, so one should at least experiment with phase when blending signals.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification