The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-12-2021, 09:07 AM

Default Helpful info on Fishman 330x buzz

Hey everyone,

There is a thread from March 2020 about the Fishman 220/330 stick systems and someone else had a 330 with buzzing like mine did.

I don't remember the name of the thread and didn't want to look for it so I decided to post this to help anyone out that might be experiencing the issue.

I contacted Fishman and they walked me through steps to rule out a bad speaker. So that turned out with the speakers being fine.

After some experimentation, applying pressure with velcro straps while playing certain notes/frequencies, I realized the buzz is coming from the metal speaker grill.

Easy fix, you can put velcro straps around it or ticky tac, foam, or even a guitar pick under the grill discreetly. I did that for a brief time. Eventually I just removed the grill and slightly manipulated/bent the shape to tighten it up and put it back in place.

No more buzz... From the amp anyway.

Hope this is helpful to anyone who has the same issue with the 330x.

Have a good one!
JPH
Old 05-12-2021, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPH View Post
Hey everyone,

There is a thread from March 2020 about the Fishman 220/330 stick systems and someone else had a 330 with buzzing like mine did.

I don't remember the name of the thread and didn't want to look for it so I decided to post this to help anyone out that might be experiencing the issue.

I contacted Fishman and they walked me through steps to rule out a bad speaker. So that turned out with the speakers being fine.

After some experimentation, applying pressure with velcro straps while playing certain notes/frequencies, I realized the buzz is coming from the metal speaker grill.

Easy fix, you can put velcro straps around it or ticky tac, foam, or even a guitar pick under the grill discreetly. I did that for a brief time. Eventually I just removed the grill and slightly manipulated/bent the shape to tighten it up and put it back in place.

No more buzz... From the amp anyway.

Hope this is helpful to anyone who has the same issue with the 330x.

Have a good one!
JPH
Really cool I owned two of these at different times and both had that issue esp. with nylon string hot ovation pickups. Resonate frequencies of a certain type cause that. One I took to my amp guy and paid him to open up the bottom/tops - he placed foam in the areas the buzz was heard and that really helped. FYI he said those units are a pain in the d to open up and get into. This system was perfect that was my only pet peeve. Some people can “tune it out” but it annoyed me. You can always turn up and not stand so close and it’s fine. I do wish they would come out with a SA440x though that cranked a bit more SPL dbs. and was resonant frequency buzz-proof. Thoughts, Fishman???
Old 05-12-2021, 10:58 AM

My SA330X also has this sound from the grill at certain, for me common, frequencies. I have a velcro band around it half way up, and it helps. Annoying though!

/Per
Old 05-14-2021, 06:57 AM

I agree, definitely annoying. Aside from that issue, I've been really happy with the 330 for indoor use and some outdoor areas with nearby buildings/walls to close in the sound. Big open outdoor spaces for spread out crowds though, I'm realizing that is where they meet their limits.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification