The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-18-2021, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

Default JBL EON ONE Volume limits

Making this quick.
Before the last year I purchased a JBL EON ONE so I would have something to gig with.

Sunday I performed outside for first time and was very disappointed in the volume. Almost the entire performance was on both channel 1 and main volume totally turned up.

I plug my VE-8 into ch1 of EON ONE.

Someone mentioned I needed another speaker, but don’t see where it would help volume wise.

I do have a loudbox artist that could be used in conjunction with the EON ONE but not sure how that would work (connections)

Anyway…I am reading things now saying how the JBL isn’t that good???

Sigh 😔

2021 Taylor 150e
2022 Gibson J45 standard
2016 Martin DR Centennial
2019 Epiphone PR5
Fishman Loudbox Artist
Boss VE-8
JBL Eon One
Redeye pre amp
Old 05-18-2021, 02:18 PM

The JBL Eon One should be plenty loud. More information is needed but if you were outputting a mic level signal from your preamp and the JBL was set to receive a line level signal it would explain what you heard.
Old 05-18-2021, 10:53 PM

If you don’t understand what Lefty MacGuffin wrote please read Sweetwater pages on Line level, mic level and consumer line level.

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/un...ls-audio-gear/

The XLR output of your VE-8 is mic level (-40dBu) box, and -10dBu on guitar+mic (see page 5 of VE8 manual to see the output configurations)
The jack outputs are -10dBu

So the VE8 outputs are consumer line level which is considerably weaker than Pro line level.

You miss 10dB

One way but you have to be VERY cautious, is to output with consumer line level and feed the JBL with mic sensitivity on. However be sure to set the volume of the VE8 to minimum and raise it very slowly to not overdrive the JBL input (and blow your ears...)

In this case: JBL expects -40dBu and provides a lots of gain. The VE8 sends -10dBu which is WAY too much, but you attenuate this “manually” with the volume pot.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/

Last edited by Cuki79; 05-18-2021 at 11:01 PM.
Old 05-21-2021, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post

The XLR output of your VE-8 is mic level (-40dBu) box, and -10dBu on guitar+mic (see page 5 of VE8 manual to see the output configurations)
The jack outputs are -10dBu

So the VE8 outputs are consumer line level which is considerably weaker than Pro line level.

You miss 10dB

One way but you have to be VERY cautious, is to output with consumer line level and feed the JBL with mic sensitivity on. However be sure to set the volume of the VE8 to minimum and raise it very slowly to not overdrive the JBL input (and blow your ears...)

In this case: JBL expects -40dBu and provides a lots of gain. The VE8 sends -10dBu which is WAY too much, but you attenuate this “manually” with the volume pot.

So I NEVER even attempted this as you indicated (and blow out your ears) when I first got the Eon One because I got that horrible sound.

Today I put EON ONE ch 1 in “mic” position and set master to 5 and ch 1 to 3. VE-8 slowly raising guitar and mic volume and voila. It appears I have more volume than I could use. What the heck? I’m so tired of being “stupid” when it comes to this kind of issue. Guess I need to pay more attention or get off the bus.

Thank you Cuki79👍

2021 Taylor 150e
2022 Gibson J45 standard
2016 Martin DR Centennial
2019 Epiphone PR5
Fishman Loudbox Artist
Boss VE-8
JBL Eon One
Redeye pre amp
Old 05-21-2021, 04:34 PM
Charter Member

Cuki is the master. For one thing, I didn't know there was a difference between "consumer line level" and "pro line level."

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification