The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-21-2020, 07:26 PM

Question 000-28 2018 vs 0M28 2018

For light strumming...

I will have the opportunity to test ride both this week. What should I be expecting in the way of tendencies.

I do not finger pick. I always flatpick.

OM28 are always considered great all around guitars. Is the new 000-28 2018 just as versatile?

I realize the om28 strings are tighter than the 00028. And the 00028 has a shorter scale.

Anyways what are your preferences for either.?
Old 09-21-2020, 09:01 PM

Well, if you predominantly strum, go for the longer scale OM.
Old 09-22-2020, 12:53 AM

the om, of course.

for strumming purposes i'd get a lesser instrument though, and possibly a dreadnought which would sound bigger unplugged.
Old 09-22-2020, 01:04 AM

I'm 5'7" with average hands for my height, so not on the larger side of the USA demographics. While I have everything from a 25.6 scale (my M32 is 650mm, gotta love the metric system!) to a 24.84" scale (the Martin 00 custom shop paperwork was oddly precise with this measurement) I will say the shorter scales of the 00 and 000 are preferable to me, and I too primarily use a pick. I do however play a decent amount of songs which require a pretty far fret stretch (for my hands) which are obviously easier on a shorter scale guitar.

The body dimensions are identical, only the scale will differ, here's a pretty cool video comparing two D-18s with the short and long scale lengths (the other difference is nut width, all other specs are the same...but of course we know that no two pieces of wood are truly identical). Tony does a pretty good job of explaining what to expect from the differences in scale length.

I knew that shorter scale lengths made it easier to play because of lower tension (and easier to bend) but he says it also accentuates the mids a little...and I'll be darned if the video doesn't support his claim. Also, my guitar with the sweetest mids is the 000 sinker hog. I always attributed it to the sinker hog b/s but it's likely that in addition to the shorter scale.
-Organic Sounds Select Guitars
-Down Home Guitars
Old 09-22-2020, 07:24 AM

Leaning towards om28-2108. Def no dread for me. I’ve always played smaller bodies. Was hoping to get feedback on 000-28 2018. Both great guitars I’ve just not had a chance to play the new 000 yet. I’ve played many om28’s and had many om’s of different makers. Strumming and flat picking for me is no less no more than finger picking. It’s just my style very light to medium. Finger picking does not catch my soul. And I’ve been at it for over ten years. Also I do have lesser priced camp fire couch guitars that we jam with. Want to add another high quality instrument to my stash. I
Old 09-22-2020, 07:29 AM
Charter Member

The 000-28 is noticeably more boxy sounding than the OM-28, and it makes sense that it should be, given the shorter scale. The boutiques that really understand short scale (Bourgeois, Collings, Santa Cruz) can mitigate that boxiness through optimizing/tap tuning their tops, but on a production guitar like a 000-28 that is built to spec, you have to play a bunch to find the very best.

I’d stick with the OM-28, great guitar!

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 09-22-2020, 08:16 AM

It's a matter of comfort. I have both long-scale and short-scale guitars. I like to capo up the neck and I appreciate the extra space a long-scale provides.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 09-22-2020, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
The 000-28 is noticeably more boxy sounding than the OM-28, and it makes sense that it should be, given the shorter scale. The boutiques that really understand short scale (Bourgeois, Collings, Santa Cruz) can mitigate that boxiness through optimizing/tap tuning their tops, but on a production guitar like a 000-28 that is built to spec, you have to play a bunch to find the very best.

I’d stick with the OM-28, great guitar!
Well said. I’ve owned Bourgeois OM so I agree. 00028 has always seemed boxy for my style was wondering about the newer versions.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion