The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-18-2020, 06:54 PM

Default NGD: Gibson Sheryl Crow Country Western 2008

Recently picked up an excellent condition 2008 Gibson Sheryl Crow Country Western.
Played it for a month without making any changes.
Was really loving this guitar, it sounded very good with the stock Tusq saddle and plastic pins. I just replaced the saddle and pins with properly fitted Bob Colosi bone saddle and non slotted pins. I replaced the LR Baggs Element which was rather quacky with the LR Baggs Lyric. The guitar really came alive, sounds amazing now, even through a vintage tweed Princeton amp with no effects. I don’t own an acoustic amp. It is loud, responsive, exceptional!
Still trying to find the right strings for it. Currently has EJ16’s going to try some Martin Retro Monels 12’s and 13’s.

https://flic.kr/p/2jJ6MZ8

Last edited by Kerbie; 09-20-2020 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Embedded photo.
Old 09-18-2020, 09:42 PM
Charter Member

Welcome to the AGF! It is customary to show a photo (or 10) of your new guitar when a NGD is announced. Link to a hosting site or use the forum but let's see some pics of that puppy!

I've had a few Gibson slopes, and my fav strings were the Santa Cruz Mid tension PBs. $18 per set, but wow what a sound.

Play it in good health.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 09-18-2020, 11:00 PM
Runaway Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by DI1 View Post
Recently picked up an excellent condition 2008 Gibson Sheryl Crow Country Western.
Was really loving this guitar, it sounded very good with the stock Tusq saddle and plastic pins. I just replaced the saddle and pins with properly fitted Bob Colosi bone saddle and non slotted pins. I replaced the LR Baggs Element which was rather quacky with the LR Baggs Lyric. The guitar really came alive, sounds amazing now, even through a vintage tweed Princeton amp with no effects. I don’t own an acoustic amp. It is loud, responsive, exceptional!
Still trying to find the right strings for it. Currently has EJ16’s going to try some Martin Retro Monels 12’s and 13’s.
Hi DI1! Welcome, and congratulations on your Gibson! Got any pix?
Former AGF Moderator
Old 09-19-2020, 12:25 AM

DI1,
the Sheryl Crow seems to be a short scale, sitka top, mahogany back and sides guitar - that is a Hummingbird.
I tried Elixir, Martin and Gibson light and medium phosphor bronze on my Hummingbird.
In my case Gibson guitar and strings went very well together.
So, for me: Gibson Phosphor Bronze coated, light.

And sure, pics would be nice! Usually we don’t believe there is a new guitar if it’s not proven with pics. :-)

Enjoy your guitar!
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...
Old 09-19-2020, 07:30 AM

Thank you for the nice comments!
I’ll try to post some photos.
Old 09-19-2020, 08:36 AM

Hey DI1, belated Welcome to the AGF!

Congrats on the Gibson! Sounds like you're knowledgeable on what things to change/try to bring out the best of a guitar. Let us know what you find out with the strings.
Old 09-19-2020, 11:56 AM

Link to photo posted.

String experiment upcoming...
Old 09-20-2020, 01:13 PM

Congrats on the 'new' Sheryl Crow CW! I have an '01 model, I think #355/400, and -- sorta like the 'limited Eric Clapton Martin OOO-28 -- the Sheryl Crow model just kept on going.

Eventually, they supplemented it with the round-shouldered Sheryl Crow SJ model too, which came in a number of different variants (why not, when they're selling so well?), and just recently, they dreamt up the "Supreme" version of this guitar, with a baked top. (Dibs on whether they'll come up with a 'Super Duper Supreme', with a cooked red spruce top...)

Although my '01 (and your '08) have lowly old non-cooked tops, non-advanced bracing with regular old glue they had lying around at the time, I love the oomph and volume that it has. Hope you continue to enjoy yours!

Fred
Old 09-20-2020, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DI1 View Post

https://flic.kr/p/2jJ6MZ8
Wait until you hear it through a good acoustic amp.
There is a difference.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 09-20-2020, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J185-4Me View Post
Congrats on the 'new' Sheryl Crow CW! I have an '01 model, I think #355/400, and -- sorta like the 'limited Eric Clapton Martin OOO-28 -- the Sheryl Crow model just kept on going.

Eventually, they supplemented it with the round-shouldered Sheryl Crow SJ model too, which came in a number of different variants (why not, when they're selling so well?), and just recently, they dreamt up the "Supreme" version of this guitar, with a baked top. (Dibs on whether they'll come up with a 'Super Duper Supreme', with a cooked red spruce top...)

Although my '01 (and your '08) have lowly old non-cooked tops, non-advanced bracing with regular old glue they had lying around at the time, I love the oomph and volume that it has. Hope you continue to enjoy yours!

Fred
Fred, thank you for your reply!

I thought all of these had Advanced bracing? I took a photo of the inside and the bracing is scalloped and I believe further forward than standard. The wood has dried since 2008. Either way, it really does sound great.

To reference the sound I’m getting, best example is Johnny Cash American IV, The Man Comes Around (almost piano like). The Rolling Stones, Let it Bleed with a capo.

I played an all original ‘67 Southern Jumbo Deluxe and this one is very close. Loved the ‘67 drier tone and the mojo it had, but couldn’t get used to the 1 9/16” nut width.

Last edited by DI1; 09-20-2020 at 06:56 PM.
Old 09-20-2020, 06:56 PM

You can't go wrong with a Sheryl Crow Country Western.

It's the Hummingbird without the bling.

I've got one, I've got Phosphor Lights on, and it sound wonderful.

Personally, i wouldn't bog down this guitar with Mediums, the Lights make the over tones shine right through.

A very loose guitar to begin with, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Its time consuming to try to transition a tight guitar to a loose feel.

The Sheryl Crow Country Western starts out loose.

MGF
Old 09-20-2020, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinGibsonFan View Post
You can't go wrong with a Sheryl Crow Country Western.

It's the Hummingbird without the bling.

I've got one, I've got Phosphor Lights on, and it sound wonderful.

Personally, i wouldn't bog down this guitar with Mediums, the Lights make the over tones shine right through.

A very loose guitar to begin with, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Its time consuming to try to transition a tight guitar to a loose feel.

The Sheryl Crow Country Western starts out loose.

MGF
Thank you for your reply!
I actually prefer this to a few recent Hummingbirds I played. Some costing twice as much. Did not get a chance to play/compare to the True Vintage though.
Old 09-21-2020, 09:18 PM

It's my favorite Gibson. Enjoy the heck out of it. I also like it with 12s.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:20 AM

Congrats, and welcome. Nice guitar! Nice Tele’s too!!
Larivee OM-40
Guild D-125 12 NAT
Yamaha CSF3M TBS
USA Stratocaster
Gibson les Paul Junior
Custom built Thinline Tele
Old 09-22-2020, 07:25 AM

That guitar is as sexy as Sheryl. Congrats!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion