The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-03-2016, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

Driving out of Roche Harbor the past few days - that place is a zoo, with so many people there for the holiday weekend. Makes running a commercial boat more work. Finished my shift (late one day, early the next), and sat down with the X7 for a few minutes to unwind. Nice.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

Into the heaviest part of our season, this is a "slice of life" from our perspective...

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2016/08...n-my-mind.html

No guitar/X7 content in this post - getting home at 10:00 last night (after a day on the water), all I wanted to do was go to bed. The X7 will get some play time this morning, before I go do it all again.

A preview...

One month to go on our contracts here.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:24 AM
Guest 928

Captain;

I have really enjoyed and appreciated your travelogue. Thank you for taking the time to share the pictures and the X7 info.
Old 08-14-2016, 07:22 AM
Charter Member

A very memorable day on the water yesterday...

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2016/08...ing-ashes.html

An ashes scattering ceremony. Very moving music with a guitar and 3 vocalists. Almost like it was on cue, the whales showed up as I was slowly (respectfully) moving us away from the scattering site.

A preview:

When I got them back to the dock, I always take a moment to check through the cabin to make sure no guests have left belongings... "I am pretty sure someone is going to be missing this guitar!"

And that is the only guitar content for this post... by the time my trips were done... so was I. But, I will carry this day in my memory for a very long time.
Old 08-14-2016, 08:07 AM

Great post Jim, I appreciate how you internalize the events. I'm going through very similar emotions myself for reasons I won't discuss. Awesome pic!
Old 08-15-2016, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Into the summer contract for this summer's boat job. I had a bit of a break today - was on-call, but didn't get called in. Instead, I had some relaxing time, including a couple sessions with the X7.

It's been a bit more than a month now with the X7, and I find I am truly appreciating the comfortable size and fit with this instrument even more. And, of course, the sound.

One more thing: it really is a very nice looking guitar. I wasn't sure about the Crystal Ice finish on the back and sides (before seeing it in person). I assume it is less expensive to finish it this way, compared to a gloss. Playing outside for a while today, I got to see that Crystal Ice in a completely different light: it has a sparkle to it - very striking! Only the player is going to see it, but I really like it.

The temps have been cool since we arrived. OK, out on the boats, it has been wool caps and Gortex jackets weather. And, the X7 still sounds just as good as it did in the extreme heat and low humidity of the desert.

If it were just for the lack of hassle with humidity, carbon fiber would be a smart choice... but it sounds good, too. Come for the durability, stay for the sound.
Hi Jim,

Thank you so much for your update from your trip. We are delighted to hear that you are still getting on well with your X7.

Best Wishes from all the team!

Sean
Old 08-21-2016, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

An epic day on the water yesterday, including the opportunity for a close visit from Mike (J-26), a fine-looking Orca...

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2016/08/yep-its-karma.html

A long shift yesterday. Nice to unwind with the X7 before turning in for the night.

Our end date is on the horizon; looking forward to some land cruising when our commitment here is done... can't let my head get too into that, yet.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:53 PM
Charter Member

Last day off this week. The Blonde made my second favorite meal: roast beef, mashed potatoes, corn, carrots, fresh bread. Yep, days off are good!

She asked for some guitar playing after the meal...

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2016/08/pickin.html

A few warm days before the next cool front moves in.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:06 PM
Charter Member

That is a nice looking glossy finish on the X7
Old 08-25-2016, 07:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
That is a nice looking glossy finish on the X7
Glossy on the front, Crystal Ice on the back and sides... and showing off that carbon fiber weave all around... 'tis a pretty little thing!
Old 08-31-2016, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

One week left on our contracts here. The weather has turned towards autumn (we did have a week or two of summer), and it is going to be a wet week. 58º, light rain, and 90% humidity this morning; mid-60s for highs through the next 10 days. It will be layers, wool, and GoreTex on the boats.

The X7 takes it in stride, continues to sound great.

Once done here, we will point the motorhome east and south, hoping to find some summer... before we head for the Tropical Tip in a month or so.
Old 09-03-2016, 10:31 PM
Charter Member

One day to go. Well, my contract is through Labor Day, but Monday is my normal day off, so... one day to go.

A fine day on the whale watch boat today...

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2016/09...-last-day.html

I got some time with the X7 this morning. Good start to the day. One more day to go, and then it's back to just Jim again. Looking forward to no schedules. Of course, I'm kidding... I'm a married guy.

Thanks for following along this season. The X7 will be traveling again, soon.
Old 09-04-2016, 07:43 AM
Charter Member

Thank you for posting these wonderful photos Capt.

Collings ~ Taylor ~ Martin
Old 09-05-2016, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Best. Last. Day. Ever.

Nice to go out with a bang instead of a whimper! A truly epic day on the whale watch boat...

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2016/09...-day-ever.html

A few preview images...

Coming right at us...

Officially gainfully unemployed again. Now I can (let myself) get my head into some land cruising! See you down the road.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:15 PM
Charter Member

Awesome pictures ! Who's driving the boat while you take pictures? I'm joking of course. I enjoyed this thread...thanks for taking the time to post it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber