The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-22-2015, 07:18 PM

Default Trying to decide

Please don't roll your eyes at another thread with this topic. I have searched this and other forums as well as Youtube for replies to this question without success.

Here's my situation. Long time acoustic player, new to the world of CF guitars. I live in the middle of nowhere in northeastern PA, so playing any CF guitars is not an easy solution here. I currently play a John Greven 000 in Brazilian and Lutz (an amazing guitar, but not one I want to expose to environmental extremes) and a Taylor 12-string (gotta have a 12-string). I'm looking for a CF guitar that I can take anywhere, but will still be playable and have good tone. I play an eclectic style but favor finger style.

I'm considering two different guitars - a Rainsong Al Petteway Limited Edition and an Emerald x20. Each guitar has pros and cons. Anyone out there who is familiar with both guitars that could give me an opinion on each and which might be the better choice?

All opinions are welcome.

Thanks,

Bill

2002 Taylor GA 12-string custom: sitka/mahogany
2013 Greven OOO: Lutz/Brazilian
2021 Greven OO-12 fret: Lutz/Brazilian
2017 Rainsong Al Petteway Ltd. OOO: carbon fiber
2017 Birdsong Especial II Bass: Cypress/Rosewood
Old 08-23-2015, 04:35 AM

I have never owned an Emerald, but I own a Rainsong and love it. The complaint I hear most on the RainSong guitars is from tiny handed Munchkins about the N-2 neck. It is a bit chunky, but I'm a man. I can take it!
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 08-23-2015, 07:26 AM

Hello Bill...Since you play both 6 & 12 string guitars, have you considered the Emerald Chiamera? Both Steve(Doubleneck) and Tom(Acousticato) think highly of it, and it might be right up your alley for "eclectic" guitar styles...
I love my X-20, but have been GASing for one of these also...
Hope this helps...
Wechter Nashville Tuned
Wechter Dobro
Washburn Nylon

Electric:
Line 6 Variax

Keyboards: Korg SV-1 88 key reverse

PA:
QSC K8 x 2

Amps:
Custom Peavey Studio Pro (Superman)
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 08-23-2015, 09:31 AM
Guest 720

I prefer the Rainsong after playing both, and have my Rainsong on order. The neck a bit chunkier than my Taylor necks that I love, but for whatever reason, the shape, etc. the adjustment literally takes seconds. So yes, feels just a tad chunkier, but very comfortable still. And no, I have no idea why lol!
Old 08-23-2015, 10:15 AM

Thanks to all for your replies. I'll likely go with the Rainsong for a variety of reasons.

Old 08-23-2015, 03:45 PM

Smile

I have just bought an Emerald X7 and it's the best small bodied guitar I've ever played. If I was looking for a larger carbon guitar the X20 would be a no brainer. The X7 has a big enough sound for un-amplified Gypsy Jazz lead guitar on a small gig (40 people or so), the X20 should be amazing.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam.spoons View Post
I have just bought an Emerald X7 and it's the best small bodied guitar I've ever played. If I was looking for a larger carbon guitar the X20 would be a no brainer. The X7 has a big enough sound for un-amplified Gypsy Jazz lead guitar on a small gig (40 people or so), the X20 should be amazing.
And I just ORDERED an X7! I absolutely cannot wait till it gets here!

But from what I've heard, you can't go wrong with a Rainsong, either.

GSmini Mahogany~Rainsong WS1000 Ser# 4641
Emerald X7~Pono Mango Tenor Ukelele
Cordoba Acero D10
Old 08-23-2015, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam.spoons View Post
I have just bought an Emerald X7 and it's the best small bodied guitar I've ever played.<snip>
Thanks for joining the forum so you can share your opinion, but if the X7 is the best small body guitar you ever played, than you need to get out more often. Really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBelle View Post
<snip>But from what I've heard, you can't go wrong with a Rainsong, either.
You can say that again. I played the latest incarnation of the X20 at the Fretted Frog and it has a ways to go before it is a "no brainer" carbon option.

Bill, you cannot go wrong with a Rainsong, any Rainsong.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:59 AM

Bill,

I am the happy owner of both an Emerald X20, and a RainSong SG-FLE (the Al Petteway signature model is the RainSong SG with an upgrade in tuners, pickup, and the tobacco burst finish, plus the AP signature model has an all carbon body, while the SG has the hybrid carbon/glass body).

I have a different view of the RainSong NS neck on the Shorty. While it is a different profile than Taylor standard necks and other popular necks, my hands (which are medium size at best) have no problem with the NS neck. I do not find it to be too large, but I DO find it to be very comfortable and ergonomic.

My Emerald X20 is a custom version on which Emerald shortened the scale length to 24.75 inches. The RainSong shorty has a scale length of 24.875 inches.

While I cannot give you exact measurements, the string spacing at the saddle of the X20 is a just a little bit wider than on the Shorty. Both are 1 3/4" at the nut.

I really like both guitars, but they are different. The Shorty has the usual RainSong brighter tone. The X20, in part due to the offset sound hole, has a deeper base.

The X20 has stainless steel frets, while the Short has nickel alloy frets. Both guitars come with a dual action truss rod. I have tweaked the truss rod on both to get the set-up I wanted.

The fit and finish on both guitars is excellent.

One obvious difference, which can effect your ergonomic preference, is the Shorty neck meeting the body at the 12th fret, and the X20 neck meeting the body at the 14th fret (on my short scale the meet is at about the 13th fret). The X20 will provide greater access to the upper frets, due to the 14th fret connection and the sculpted cut-away. Also, the right armrest on the X20 is a great feature.

Either guitar would be an excellent choice.

Good luck,

Jim
Old 08-24-2015, 08:21 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Bill, AGFer Matt Adamas initiated a thread (see link below) where if you read far enough, through detailed analysis he has narrowed-down his choices to the same two guitars as you. You may want to read his thread, and it may also be helpful for you two to communicate with each other to compare notes.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=396939
Old 08-24-2015, 12:17 PM

Thanks Andy, Jim and Tom for your input. I did read the other thread too, so thanks for the link.

I'll give Ted at LA Guitar Sales a call and see what he has to say. So stay tuned.

Bill

Old 08-24-2015, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

Tried an X20 and returned it. While the arm bevel was comfortable, the rib side dug into me more than other guitars. I'm 5 ' 5" tall and still favor a slightly larger guitar. I bought an H-OM from Ted and it is a fantastic guitar. It sounds terrific, withstands all temps and humidity and looks pretty cool. I am extremely happy with this purchase. I recently played an open mic and the woman running the sound thought my guitar sounded best out of all of the others plugged in that night. I want to like the Emerald, and the owner seems like a really nice guy, very communicative via e-mail, but as I said, I bought the Rainsong and haven't looked back once.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 08-24-2015, 02:20 PM

I ordered a Rainsong APLE today from Ted at L.A. Guitar Sales. He talked me into it (didn't take much) mostly with the great combination of features. It was also interesting to find out that Rainsong will likely make 100 or less of this model, perhaps cutting off production by the end of this year. Originally it was to ship in six weeks. He called me later today and said he had one coming in this week. Looking forward to checking it out.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Bill

Old 08-24-2015, 03:01 PM

Mikealpine, your post was very interesting. At 5'5" the X20 did not fit you, . . . while I am about 5'9", and the X20 fits great. My RainSong Shorty is the identical body as your H-OM. It proves that each person has to find the best fit for them, . . . and one size does not fit all.

Bill R., . . . congrats on your RainSong APLE order, . . . I am sure you will like it. Ted and LA Guitars do it right, and will take good care of you!
Old 08-24-2015, 03:02 PM

I tend to agree with the Emerald X7 being a fine sounding small guitar. Seems to have just a little more bass umph than most of it's size I played. Just the right size for strapping on the back of the scoot when taking a trip... Of course as always... YMMV

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber