The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-24-2012, 01:48 PM

That's a beautiful guitar, and it brings 2 things to mind.

First of all, that slotted headstock is the sexiest thing I've ever seen. I usually hate slotted headstocks, but that thing is beautiful. Very well done, and way to make it fit with your signature headstock look.

Second, it's a tiny bit sad that the most beautiful wood always ends up on the back of the guitar. I know that there aren't very many viable options for top wood, and most of them are pretty boring looking, but part of me wishes the audience could see the back of that guitar. It's stunning.

I know you mentioned many times that people may tire of the level of detail, and I want to chime in on the side that appreciates any level of detail you can give. I find it completely fascinating. I don't know if I'll ever build a guitar, but I definitely appreciate the amount of detail you provide. It teaches me a lot about the instruments I play, even if I never build one.
Rhoney Oceana
Warmoth Jazzcaster
Old 09-24-2012, 02:30 PM
Charter Member

Mark,

That turned out great!

Billy and Berf, Thanks for the kind words.I'm glad you enjoyed it! Berf, I tired to showcase the guitar in styles I thought fellow my crossover fans would like - classical, fingerstyle and chet/thumb picking with some jazzy overtones.

Kindly,
Danny
Old 09-24-2012, 03:10 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChunkyB View Post
That's a beautiful guitar, and it brings 2 things to mind.

First of all, that slotted headstock is the sexiest thing I've ever seen. I usually hate slotted headstocks, but that thing is beautiful. Very well done, and way to make it fit with your signature headstock look.

Second, it's a tiny bit sad that the most beautiful wood always ends up on the back of the guitar. I know that there aren't very many viable options for top wood, and most of them are pretty boring looking, but part of me wishes the audience could see the back of that guitar. It's stunning.

I know you mentioned many times that people may tire of the level of detail, and I want to chime in on the side that appreciates any level of detail you can give. I find it completely fascinating. I don't know if I'll ever build a guitar, but I definitely appreciate the amount of detail you provide. It teaches me a lot about the instruments I play, even if I never build one.
Thank-you very much ChunkyB,

I really like the way the headstock came out too. Unfortunately, I'm afraid it's a design that people seem to either love or hate. It's is the best deisign I feel I can do particularly with this Penelope model and I don't imagine ever changing it. I am however considering other head designs for my Greta and Josie models. Actually, I'm completely redesigning the Greta model and will start a new build thread on that one in a couple months.

I'm afraid I just can't seem to catch that Koa back in a picture that I think really shows if off. I've posted a couple pics but I'm still trying to find a better way to shoot that. I still have the steelstring twin to practice on, so stay tuned!

Thanks Again
Mark

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher
Old 09-24-2012, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

Chunky,

The headstock looks even better in person. Mark did such a great job with it. I can also atest to how amazing the koa is, photos don't do it justice.

Kindly,
Danny
Old 09-24-2012, 06:29 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default sound clips

Hi

I just want to put the link to the you tube sound samples out again so it isn't lost in the text; http://youtu.be/gLo31zoW03s
Danny did such a great job in playing several different song samples for the crossover

Thanks Again!

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher
Old 09-24-2012, 07:41 PM

Great video Mark and great playing Danny
Old 09-25-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
Thank-you very much ChunkyB,

I really like the way the headstock came out too. Unfortunately, I'm afraid it's a design that people seem to either love or hate. It's is the best deisign I feel I can do particularly with this Penelope model and I don't imagine ever changing it. I am however considering other head designs for my Greta and Josie models. Actually, I'm completely redesigning the Greta model and will start a new build thread on that one in a couple months.

I'm afraid I just can't seem to catch that Koa back in a picture that I think really shows if off. I've posted a couple pics but I'm still trying to find a better way to shoot that. I still have the steelstring twin to practice on, so stay tuned!

Thanks Again
Mark
Oh, I wasn't commenting on your photos of the back and sides. I was just saying that the most popular/viable top woods for tone (spruce and cedar?) also happen to be the most "plain" looking. Although, I guess I can appreciate a very tight, flawless grain pattern in spruce.

Seriously though, that koa is breathtaking. And I'm sure it's 10 time better in real life.

I can see how the headstock could be a "love it or hate it" type of thing. Put me down for a "love it".
Rhoney Oceana
Warmoth Jazzcaster
Old 09-25-2012, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

I agree...I don't like slot heads. I can't tell you why, but I have never found one that I thought was particularly attractive...until now. No joke, Mark, I really think that this is the nicest I've ever seen and just goes perfectly on this guitar.

All the best,
Mike

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 09-26-2012, 04:49 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks Mike, ChunkyB, and Tom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealpine View Post
I agree...I don't like slot heads. I can't tell you why, but I have never found one that I thought was particularly attractive...until now. No joke, Mark, I really think that this is the nicest I've ever seen and just goes perfectly on this guitar.

All the best,
Mike
The Knilling geared tuner pegs allow for a slot design that has some curves to it.
Once that occurred to me little sketches of head designs started showing up.
Then I had a visit from Narongsak Visesnut, www.visesnutguitar.com who is an award winning classic guitar builder. He had brought one of his wonderful guitars to my shop and we discussed guitar building here and in Thailand. So the writing was on the wall that Hatcher Guitars was going to be building crossovers.

Thanks

Old 09-25-2014, 05:21 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Penelope's long lost sister

I started this thread at the end of 2011 to compare my then new Penelope nylon crossover to the existing steel string version. The crossover has been a very popular guitar model since. It's funny that after over 36,000 views no one has ever asked "What happened to the steel string sister you were building?". Well, after the top went on I was never happy with the tap tone and just lost my enthusiasm for this build. And there it sat for years with me thinking I've got to do something with that one day.

The day came, I decided to pull the top off, rework the back braces and turn it into a Penelope nylon crossover with a cedar top. You may have seen it on my Hatcher's workshop thread. It was sent off to the finisher last Tuesday. Finally, Penelope's sister will have her day in the sun.

This is currently an unsold spec guitar that should be available in the beginning of November.

Old 09-25-2014, 05:37 AM

By the way, this cedar set--slightly darker in color--has absolutely mind blowing tap tones. Just sings and rings forever. This Hatcher guitar will be a tonal stunner.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 09-25-2014, 09:57 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post
By the way, this cedar set--slightly darker in color--has absolutely mind blowing tap tones. Just sings and rings forever. This Hatcher guitar will be a tonal stunner.
This is a really fine sounding soundboard. I bought several of these and it was purely based on how great they sounded. I left how to match the color up with a back and side set for later. I think the colors of Koa go wonderfully.

Thanks,
Mark

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop