The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-17-2023, 11:14 AM

Default Wireless lav mics?

This is more live sound question than recording, but folks here know their mics...

I offered to help advise a small congregation who needs a small PA (starting from scratch). I have a good handle on the mixer/speakers part, but they would like a couple wireless lav mics which I really don't know much about. They would be for the clergy, so mostly speaking rather than singing, and want a belt-clip transmitter. Recommendations? Thanks.

Edit to add: they didn't give a hard budget but did say they would spend a bit more for quality gear. So that probably takes cheap no-name stuff of the table though not going for top-of-the-line, most likely.

Last edited by Chipotle; 12-17-2023 at 12:02 PM.
Old 12-17-2023, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

I would recommend the Shure QLX series of wireless. It’s about $1500/channel with both handheld and lav options, and a little less if you only want the lav body pack. The handheld option is great to have in a church setting though.

They are pro units, used in live sound and churches all over the place, rock solid and worth every penny.

A step down from that would be Sennheiser G4 but I think you’re better off with the Shures.

You will probably have to buy a different lav mic if the clergy want the kind that clips on their head or over their ear rather than on their clothing. I’d recommend DPA for that.

As someone who has done a lot of church sound reinforcement, higher quality mics do make a huge difference.

Last edited by Mobilemike; 12-17-2023 at 02:25 PM.
Old 12-17-2023, 11:29 PM

I consult with churches on this stuff all the time.

I always assume a hostile RF environment unless I test it first. (I consulted with one church directly across the street form a police station & fire house...oofa!). Talk about a tough RF environment.

I don't like the Shure QLX as much as the ULX. The ULX is more expensive, but performs much better IME. That said, I would go with the new Sennheiser EW-D series before either of those. This is their target market. They will auto switch to the cleanest frequency & be much easier to use & better sounding without having someone around who understands configuring wireless systems for optimal performance.

Also - I highly recommend headset over traditional lavaliere mics. Again, much easier for the volunteer audio guy to deal with. My favorite is the DPA headsets, but the Countryman is also a good contender. You just have to buy a headset with the proper connector. Shure uses require a TA4F connector, while the Sennheiser use a locking 3.5mm TRS.

A good option is usually having one reciever that has both a bodypack (for lav or headset) & a handheld transmitter. That way you can have a handheld option, if needed.

Lastly, unless it's a very small church, you will want to invest in paddle or shark fin antennae. The small whip antennae that come with most systems will drop signal far more often, especially as the room gets bigger & the RF environment gets more challenging.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD