The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-16-2019, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

Default 8.5 hours in the ER yesterday... Update

But it turned out I just have a walking pneumonia kind of things.

My doctor was afraid to rule out a possible blood clot in my lung during an exam yesterday. I couldn't fully "catch" my breath and had an "episode" driving to work - sort of like a panic attack, can't breath right, pulse is going a million miles an hour (while on a beta blocker!)

So she sent me to the hospital - better to be safe than sorry. The xray and catscan with dye showed zilch. Its a great day to have pneumonia, whew! Steroids and an inhaler and I'll be as good as new. Some of those folks in the er were in really bad shape. I told the nurse, while I was here for 8.5 hours, but I'm lucky in that I'm leaving.

They don't pay those er people enough money!

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.

Last edited by TBman; 11-18-2019 at 11:19 AM.
Old 11-16-2019, 02:05 PM

Default Speedy Recovery

Glad you're rallying. Speedy recovery!
Best,
LarryK.
Old 11-16-2019, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

Wow, sounds scary. Wish you the best with your recovery Barry.
Old 11-16-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post

My doctor was afraid to rule out a possible blood clot in my lung during an exam yesterday. I couldn't fully "catch" my breath and had an "episode" driving to work - sort of like a panic attack, can't breath right, pulse is going a million miles an hour (while on a beta blocker!)

So she sent me to the hospital - better to be safe than sorry. The xray and catscan with dye showed zilch. Its a great day to have pneumonia, whew! Steroids and an inhaler and I'll be as good as new. Some of those folks in the er were in really bad shape. I told the nurse, while I was here for 8.5 hours, but I'm lucky in that I'm leaving.

I'm glad things are okay. Get better soon.

For your last comment. My mom recently had a lot go wrong and across two different hospitals. The ER staff and a few of the nurses let me know who's going to heaven if that place exists.

You do make a good point. No offense to the doctors who took care of my mom but two nurses in particular came off as super human.

Again, get better soon!
Old 11-16-2019, 02:55 PM
Guest 33123

Glad to hear you're okay, Barry. Many years ago I was in the ER for something. Some ambulances rolled in and the paramedics wheeled in a couple of patients on gurneys with the sheets pulled up over the heads. It was sobering. Made me think of their families and how those people weren't going home that night.
Old 11-16-2019, 03:02 PM

I'm glad to hear it wasn't more serious Barry.
Hoping for a quick recovery!
Old 11-16-2019, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Get well soon! Anything that sends you to the hospital is certainly cause for concern. It is always a relief when you don't need to be admitted to the hospital from there.

My wife has had frequent trips to the ER, and much of the time spent there is waiting to see a doctor. For her, these things seem to happen in the evening, and it is daylight the next day when we get back home if she has not been admitted to the hospital.

I have only had one trip to the ER since signing up with the VA. It was only 15 minutes or so between arriving and seeing a doctor and being admitted to ICU. Fortunately, I don't see any bills in the mail after those adventures.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 11-16-2019, 04:01 PM

Barry - leaving the ER to go home IS very good news! And cautious doctors are the best - let the cowboys treat someone else.

Get well!
Old 11-16-2019, 05:56 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:

True words.......glad you are OK

Old 11-16-2019, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Glad things worked out well for you.Nice to see someone appreciate their care and the medical team.

It is very tough being in the medical field.I toiled there for 35 years and am glad to be retired.You never get bored and it can be very gratifying.Even at the end I always learned something new and faced new challenges.

The corporate mantra rules the domain of health care.Morale is low and countless hours are spent on meaningless data entry.

i'm concerned about the future of the profession.Many of us have recently retired or are close to it.

There will be a definite shortfall of surgeons in both general surgery and the subspecialties.This will soon become a crisis in smaller cities.

It takes many years to become proficient in one's surgical field.Renumeration is decreasing and many new grads have huge student debts.

On a bright note ,there will always be intelligent and caring people entering the health care field.

I wish more people like you would give them recognition.It seems to me that those who pursue athletic endeavors are worshipped.Their huge salaries do not justify what they contribute to our society.

Gabe
Old 11-16-2019, 06:30 PM

Barry, sorry to hear about the prognosis but given what could have been the alternative it sounds like you're going to be ok. Here's to Health!
Old 11-16-2019, 06:49 PM
Charter Member

Best wishes, Barry. Get well soon!
Old 11-16-2019, 07:01 PM
Charter Member

Thanks everyone! Staying in, staying calm, taking my meds and tomorrow I'll watch the Redzone and enjoy my NFL Sunday. Packers are off, so its a no stress day,

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 11-16-2019, 09:27 PM

Enjoy your day tomorrow, Barry. Glad you escaped the emergency room after the 8.5! Get well!!
sounds like you'll convert another 8.5 in a more relaxed way tomorrow with NFL!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 11-16-2019, 10:15 PM

Get well Barry. I often listen to the tunes you post and your contributions here are always appreciated.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic