The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-28-2019, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

Default NGD Claxton EM-C

Made offer Friday morning and received on Sat afternoon. 16 year old Claxton in absolutely mint condition. It is exceptional in every possible way!! Add me to the Ed Claxton fan club. Absolutely phenomenal builder

http://www.dreamguitars.com/shop/200...ce-70-127.html
Old 04-28-2019, 05:28 PM

Wow......fantastic in all ways!! Many congrats!!!!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 04-28-2019, 06:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
Wow......fantastic in all ways!! Many congrats!!!!
Thank you sir. i have several lifetime guitars and this one stands right up there with them and in some ways surpasses them.
Old 04-28-2019, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

Sweet guitar!
Old 04-28-2019, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwpierce View Post
i have several lifetime guitars and this one stands right up there with them and in some ways surpasses them.
Goodness - Rob, you have some amazing lifetime guitars. For this to equal or surpass...that says a lot! Congratulations on a fabulous new instrument.
Old 04-28-2019, 11:17 PM
Charter Member

Yo, this is incredible. Congrats!
Old 04-29-2019, 03:44 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations. I have only played a Caxton once (at Luthiers Collection) but it made a big impression me. Now you get to enjoy one every day!
Old 04-29-2019, 04:25 AM
Charter Member

A hearty welcome to the Claxton club, Rob! Like you, I purchased mine online based on reputation alone, and am I ever glad I went for it! So, congrats on the great score, it's your due reward for being bold.

I have no idea which other lifetime guitars you have, but I am not at all surprised that your new EM-C fits right in. My OM is the most intuitive guitar I've ever owned, and the most revealing, too. It's also very hard for me to put back down once I've got it on my lap.
1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Claxton OM Traditional
2014 Blackbird Rider

Last edited by Deft Tungsman; 04-29-2019 at 04:38 AM.
Old 04-29-2019, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Default An NGD involving a Claxton will open one's eyes! Congrats Rob!

Rob,

Congratulations! I've bought and sold a 2006 Claxton EMc, straight grained Brazilian/German spruce (#87/150). Clearly one of my best ever. I had it with me at the Memphis show in 2015 and a fellow AGF'r played it at least 3 hours every day.........and played it beautifully, so much so that I wanted him to have it so I parted with one I said I would never, EVER, sell.

I now have the 2007 EM, straight grained Brazilian/Italian spruce (#100/171) that is as good, but alas, not a cutaway so I it has been offered on AGF for a while at a very good price. I think you played this one during my visit.

There aren't that many Claxton guitars out there so most have not had the opportunity to experience Ed's amazing work, non CNC work. He and Somogyi are the two best in the truly hand crafted arena.

Enjoy and, again, congratulations!

Bruce (Robbypad)
Old 04-29-2019, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deft Tungsman View Post
A hearty welcome to the Claxton club, Rob! Like you, I purchased mine online based on reputation alone, and am I ever glad I went for it! So, congrats on the great score, it's your due reward for being bold.

I have no idea which other lifetime guitars you have, but I am not at all surprised that your new EM-C fits right in. My OM is the most intuitive guitar I've ever owned, and the most revealing, too. It's also very hard for me to put back down once I've got it on my lap.
Thank you Deft. Yes, typically don't buy without playing but a couple hundred bucks for shipping alleviates my concerns. Plus I've seen such great reviews from you and other fellow AGF members that I just had to test drive one and boy am I glad I did. My other lifers are 00012 Walker sitka/coco, Olson SJ cedar/braz and Walker SJ adi/braz. All amazing guitars in their own right albeit quite a bit more expensive. For the value my new Claxton beats them all and I'm quite thrilled to add it to the collection.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbypad View Post
Rob,

Congratulations! I've bought and sold a 2006 Claxton EMc, straight grained Brazilian/German spruce (#87/150). Clearly one of my best ever. I had it with me at the Memphis show in 2015 and a fellow AGF'r played it at least 3 hours every day.........and played it beautifully, so much so that I wanted him to have it so I parted with one I said I would never, EVER, sell.

I now have the 2007 EM, straight grained Brazilian/Italian spruce (#100/171) that is as good, but alas, not a cutaway so I it has been offered on AGF for a while at a very good price. I think you played this one during my visit.

There aren't that many Claxton guitars out there so most have not had the opportunity to experience Ed's amazing work, non CNC work. He and Somogyi are the two best in the truly hand crafted arena.

Enjoy and, again, congratulations!

Bruce (Robbypad)
Thank you Bruce, I am absolutely thrilled. The story gets better.

I couldn't believe that a 16 year old guitar could be in absolute mint condition so I asked Paul H to see if he could find out the history of the guitar. Paul just messaged me that the owner bought the guitar from Jason Kostal. Jason lives about 20 miles from me and did work per your recommendation on my Somogyi MD Fan Fret (what a fabulous dude he is, wouldn't even charge me and called it professional courtesy to his mentor). Anyway Jason told me that his priorities had changed after his accident and he had sold off most of his extensive personal guitar collection. I just sent Jason a text and he replied "That is an amazing guitar! One of my favorites that I have ever owned!" How cool is that?

I actually did not play your guitar because you left it home, however I remember you raving about it which really peaked my interest. Hopefully, we can meet up again and jam on our amazing Claxton guitars.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

Default Re: Claxton NGD

Congratulations on your new (to you) Claxton guitar Rob. Wish you were still in easy driving distance, I would love to hear that one in person. How great that Jason Kostal is nearby though. Enjoy this fine addition to your collection!
Old 04-29-2019, 12:40 PM

Many years ago I walked into TAMCO in Brighton and played a ton of guitars.

A visually unassuming Claxton OM in Cuban mahogany was the best of a very good bunch: Anyone who has been there knows it's an Aladdin's cave of very high end, sole luthier guitars.

Thus started my love affair with Claxton guitars.
Never played a bad one.
Let me rephrase that - I've never played one that was anything less than stellar.
Astonishing consistency.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 04-29-2019, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Your Claxton has quite a lineage, man! And it’s back in Jason’s orbit, what a stroke of luck for you both. Great story.

Sad to say I’ve never been anywhere near a Walker or an Olson, but the hearsay is unanimous. You must be over the moon to have found another luthier whose guitars are equally rewarding.
1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Claxton OM Traditional
2014 Blackbird Rider
Old 04-29-2019, 06:22 PM
Charter Member

Congrats, love Ed’s guitars. Looks like a keeper!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop