The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-17-2018, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfox View Post
I'm curious, what does the "double top" accomplish that a single top couldn't? Is it just two top flavors? Like if you did a double top of the same wood, would there be a reason to do it?
I have a Woolson double top LG with cedar over Lutz spruce. The tone takes on more of the characteristics of the cedar (outer wood) which is in direct contact with the bridge.
Double tops can be played louder without break up and the tone is more uniform up and down the neck and across strings.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 12-17-2018, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringjunky2 View Post
Hi Paul. I thought you'd dropped out/taken a break until now.
That seems to be a common rumor going around. But nope. Still here. Always have been.
I went back to school ~5 years ago, but continued building. That might be were it came from.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
I'm curious, what does the "double top" accomplish that a single top couldn't? Is it just two top flavors? Like if you did a double top of the same wood, would there be a reason to do it?
At the risk of boring you with the structural engineer's view...

Because the top is effectively braced every 1/8" is all directions, there is no structural need for conventional bracing of the soundboard. (I do put very light bracing on them in order to tune the top). Because the top is free of these braces, it is free to move more uniformly, like a drum head (which is really what a guitar's soundboard is). What that equates to is a guitar with a much greater dynamic range, more responsive to a very light touch, yet still powerful enough to not be overdriven.
Then combining woods...that's where, in my opinion, the real fun begins. I LOVE using somewhat nontraditional tonewoods as the outer skin (walnut, mahogany, even rosewood) and watching the face of the person playing it. "Oh, that's not what I expected from a mahogany topped guitar."
On this guitar of Bill's, I almost suggested we make the top of White Oak but there were so many unique things going on I kind of felt like that might be too much.
Old 12-17-2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWoolson View Post
At the risk of boring you with the structural engineer's view...

Because the top is effectively braced every 1/8" is all directions, there is no structural need for conventional bracing of the soundboard. (I do put very light bracing on them in order to tune the top). Because the top is free of these braces, it is free to move more uniformly, like a drum head (which is really what a guitar's soundboard is). What that equates to is a guitar with a much greater dynamic range, more responsive to a very light touch, yet still powerful enough to not be overdriven.
Then combining woods...that's where, in my opinion, the real fun begins. I LOVE using somewhat nontraditional tonewoods as the outer skin (walnut, mahogany, even rosewood) and watching the face of the person playing it. "Oh, that's not what I expected from a mahogany topped guitar."
On this guitar of Bill's, I almost suggested we make the top of White Oak but there were so many unique things going on I kind of felt like that might be too much.
Thanks for the answer! That sounds like a lot of fun to mess around with. Interesting you say it adds more warmth, as it seems what I was reading that a lot of ppl say the Double Top takes away the "warmth" side of things.
Old 12-17-2018, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks for the answer! That sounds like a lot of fun to mess around with. Interesting you say it adds more warmth, as it seems what I was reading that a lot of ppl say the Double Top takes away the "warmth" side of things.
Read Paul's comments a few times. Did not see the word warmth. I would not count on increased warmth. Increased dynamic range and greater uniformity of tone across the fret board yes.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 12-17-2018, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Read Paul's comments a few times. Did not see the word warmth. I would not count on increased warmth. Increased dynamic range and greater uniformity of tone across the fret board yes.
ooo correct, I took light touch for warmth for some reason lol.
Old 12-17-2018, 04:57 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWoolson View Post
Again? He never stopped.

I heard this guitar on Facebook this morning...wonderful!
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 12-18-2018, 08:59 AM

Default Sound

Things I have noticed about this guitar.
The top bracing is very light compared to other ladder braced guitars. (This bracing all though not traditional x braced is considered a ladder brace by some).
There is no mid range bump that you might get when close micing.
There is also not the booming bass overtones. Everything seems well balanced. This guitar would fit in great with other instruments with out a lot of EQ. What I am trying to say is when accompanying singing for example, I like my LG, the H&D 00, or SJ-12 that have a more traditional sound of overtones.

But we got what we were going for, a guitar to match my finger picking style.
Thanks again Paul.
Woolson LG
Woolson OM (Special Bracing/Double Top)
Bashkin SJ-12
Baranik Retreux Parlor
H&D 00-SP Cedar
John Kinnaird Hi-Strung Guitar

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop