The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-12-2018, 12:36 PM

I have an H5 and am very pleased with it. Clean clear recordings and so darn simple to use. Love the individual dials on the front. I eventually decided I wanted additional inputs, so bought the attachment that adds two more ins. Works great...also has individual gain dials on it. Really great device.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMcKee View Post
I have an H5 and am very pleased with it. Clean clear recordings and so darn simple to use. Love the individual dials on the front. I eventually decided I wanted additional inputs, so bought the attachment that adds two more ins. Works great...also has individual gain dials on it. Really great device.

Yep . Spot on.
Martin J40
Old 11-06-2018, 02:06 AM

Default More Q’s about the H2N Pro, H5, & H6

This is my first post and I apologize for hijacking this thread. I’m just a dumb metal guitar player looking for a solution to make low budget mic’d & DI recordings that can somehow be put on Facebook, Cloud, etc.

Here’s my goal/plan; please suggest which device is best suited for this application. Drummer has his own 12 channel mixer, so I’d like to
1) use the “monitors” left/right outputs to go into a handheld recorder to create a stereo track (maybe bounce it down to mono)
2) take that home and record two different guitar parts (panned left & right).
3) record a single/mono bass track from a Bass Pod.
4) record a single/mono vocal.
5) set volume levels & bounce down to 4-6 tracks (either is fine)
6) post it on Facebook, iCloud, etc.

It’s strictly a hobby and just to share with friends. At 50 yrs old, all my illusions/dillusions have gone away several years ago!

Can one of the Zoom (or Tascam) products bounce these tracks to creat a true 4 track recording?
Is there a way to do a basic levels mix?
Can the files be moved to my laptop?
Which is the most basic, simplistic, minimalist, idiot-friendly DAW software?

My drummer wants “raw & primitive black metal sounds”. Still, I need the ability to come home and try to make my guitar, bass, & vocal performances as good as I can without the pressure of a true live session using only the built in condenser mic’s.

I have a Boss BR 1600 CD recorder whose many “user friendly” functions are still way over my head. I’ve made cd recordings doing the same process I described above. And, I don’t know how to make those recordings get on Facebook, etc. However, I’m willing to try to use it if some video tutorials could be recommended.

After reading an online article from Sound on Sound.com, I don’t have the knowledge to accomplish very much with recording. I’m the “tech & manuals frighten & frustrate me” guy. I’m very open to any suggestions...even to the point of “Give up,Loser!”

If I haven’t provided enough or accurate/specific enough info, please let me know and I’ll do my best to address it.

Thanks in advance for any help or ideas offered!😎🤘🏻
Old 11-06-2018, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horrorble View Post
This is my first post and I apologize for hijacking this thread. I’m just a dumb metal guitar player looking for a solution to make low budget mic’d & DI recordings that can somehow be put on Facebook, Cloud, etc.

Here’s my goal/plan; please suggest which device is best suited for this application. Drummer has his own 12 channel mixer, so I’d like to
1) use the “monitors” left/right outputs to go into a handheld recorder to create a stereo track (maybe bounce it down to mono)
2) take that home and record two different guitar parts (panned left & right).
3) record a single/mono bass track from a Bass Pod.
4) record a single/mono vocal.
5) set volume levels & bounce down to 4-6 tracks (either is fine)
6) post it on Facebook, iCloud, etc.

It’s strictly a hobby and just to share with friends. At 50 yrs old, all my illusions/dillusions have gone away several years ago!

Can one of the Zoom (or Tascam) products bounce these tracks to creat a true 4 track recording?
Is there a way to do a basic levels mix?
Can the files be moved to my laptop?
Which is the most basic, simplistic, minimalist, idiot-friendly DAW software?

My drummer wants “raw & primitive black metal sounds”. Still, I need the ability to come home and try to make my guitar, bass, & vocal performances as good as I can without the pressure of a true live session using only the built in condenser mic’s.

I have a Boss BR 1600 CD recorder whose many “user friendly” functions are still way over my head. I’ve made cd recordings doing the same process I described above. And, I don’t know how to make those recordings get on Facebook, etc. However, I’m willing to try to use it if some video tutorials could be recommended.

After reading an online article from Sound on Sound.com, I don’t have the knowledge to accomplish very much with recording. I’m the “tech & manuals frighten & frustrate me” guy. I’m very open to any suggestions...even to the point of “Give up,Loser!”

If I haven’t provided enough or accurate/specific enough info, please let me know and I’ll do my best to address it.

Thanks in advance for any help or ideas offered!😎🤘🏻
First, figure out how many actual recorded tracks you need prior to mixdown. Based on that number you can purchase a multi-tracker to do all your recording on. Some of the offerings today are almost as easy as an old cassette recorder to operate. I'd recommend a Zoom R series or the equivalent Tascam offering. I have a Zoom R24 that I use.

I used to have a much more expensive Roland recorder that was way too difficult to operate, and my buddy has a BR 1600 in his closet for the exact same reason.

Do all your audio recording in 24 bit on the the multi-tracker and then dump the tracks to a computer for editing / mixdown. I use Reaper, but there is a learning curve for any software. You'll also need a basic audio interface and monitors (or at least good headphones) for doing your mixdown.

If you're doing stuff for the web you'll need to limit yourself to 2 track stereo files and anything other than basic 128kbs mp3 files is pretty much a waste of time. That's what most of your potential audience will most likely want.

There's obviously a lot left out in what I wrote above, but that seems to be in line with what you want to do.
Old 11-06-2018, 12:57 PM

Thanks so much, Rudy! Glad to hear I’m not the only person who found the BR1600 challenging.

I’ll start researching the Zoom R series & the Tascams. Sound Devices are out of my budget.

I do have KRK 8” powered monitors that seem ok for my project level.

I understand using MP3 files instead of WAV. because of file sizes.

I don’t know what you mean by “audio interface”. Don’t you just go from recorder to laptop via a USB? If not, what do you recommend?

As far as number of total tracks recorded, 2 for drums, 2 for guitar, 1 for bass, 1 for vocals.

Is the general idea to record each track then bounce them down to 2 stereo tracks? I’d be very happy with that.
Old 11-06-2018, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horrorble View Post
Thanks so much, Rudy! Glad to hear I’m not the only person who found the BR1600 challenging.

I’ll start researching the Zoom R series & the Tascams. Sound Devices are out of my budget.

I do have KRK 8” powered monitors that seem ok for my project level.

I understand using MP3 files instead of WAV. because of file sizes.

I don’t know what you mean by “audio interface”. Don’t you just go from recorder to laptop via a USB? If not, what do you recommend?

As far as number of total tracks recorded, 2 for drums, 2 for guitar, 1 for bass, 1 for vocals.

Is the general idea to record each track then bounce them down to 2 stereo tracks? I’d be very happy with that.
The KRKs should be fine. What are you plugging them into? Normally if you're using a computer then they will plug into your audio interface. The audio interface plugs into (usually) a USB port and is responsible for the A/D and D/A conversion of signals so they can be minipulated by a DAW such as Reaper on your computer.

The audio interface also allows you to plug microphones or instruments into it and has pre-amp circuits so the signal can be converted to all those 1's and 0's your computer understands. The interface also converts the stored digital files into an analog signal to send to your monitor speakers.

Here's a bit more info on the web archive of my old website. Photos aren't there, but most of the text is.

http://web.archive.org/web/201603282...ecording1.html

Yes, you have the basic idea of multi-tracking correct.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD