The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-16-2017, 06:43 PM

Ok... there has to be something seriously wrong with the nut. I got all the slots penciled in with graphite. E and B strings tune easily. That pesky G string is driving me nuts. I want to lower the pitch so I bring it back up to pitch. It takes two twists of the knob just to get the pitch ANY lower. Finally it releases and I again wrestle it back into tune. So annoying.

Last night I was on a gig and had to retune in a really quiet moment and I just had to guess. I couldn't even pluck the string loud enough to register on my clip-on tuner.

I guess I'll buy some crocus cloth tomorrow and see if I can polish out the slots better and see if that changes anything. So I'm going to reserve judgement on the tuners until I'm sure I have everything else straightened out.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 09-16-2017, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
Ok... there has to be something seriously wrong with the nut. I got all the slots penciled in with graphite. E and B strings tune easily. That pesky G string is driving me nuts. I want to lower the pitch so I bring it back up to pitch. It takes two twists of the knob just to get the pitch ANY lower. Finally it releases and I again wrestle it back into tune. So annoying.

Last night I was on a gig and had to retune in a really quiet moment and I just had to guess. I couldn't even pluck the string loud enough to register on my clip-on tuner.

I guess I'll buy some crocus cloth tomorrow and see if I can polish out the slots better and see if that changes anything. So I'm going to reserve judgement on the tuners until I'm sure I have everything else straightened out.
Did you try all the fixes in this thread?

I have a new 714ce with a pesky G string too. I had to do the super-glue baking soda trick and re-cut the slot, which helped a lot. I used a .028" saw and I rocked side-to-side for extra width even though the string is a 0.024". I then used super fine sandpaper to smooth the slot. I also used a #2 pencil in the groove. I find that a #2 pencil works better than Big Bends nut sauce so if the #2 isn't working for you then you should definitely try other methods.

Finally, I find that Elixir nanoweb strings really help eliminate nut binding so if you aren't using those you could switch and see if that does the trick. I don't use Elixirs because I find they are too slippery, but it sure helps with tuning when there are nut problems.

Last edited by ii Cybershot ii; 09-17-2017 at 02:08 AM.
Old 09-16-2017, 09:33 PM

Sounds to me like you need to scrap the nut on this guitar, cut a new one (get a luthier to do it if you don't have the skills - I don't) and then you'll find your problem is solved, and you'll love the 21:1's.
Maton EBG808
Alvarez AP66SB
Yamaha LL16R A.R.E.
Fishman Loudbox Mini

Electric:
1966 Fender Super Reverb
2016 Fender Champion 40
1969 Fender Thinline Tele
2015 Epiphone ES-339 Pro
2016 Fender MIA American Standard Strat
2019 Fender MIM Roadhouse Strat
Old 09-17-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
Sounds to me like you need to scrap the nut on this guitar, cut a new one (get a luthier to do it if you don't have the skills - I don't) and then you'll find your problem is solved, and you'll love the 21:1's.
I don't think there is anything "wrong" with the nut beyond the fact that Taylor didn't do a good job of making sure it was perfect before shipping out a $4000 guitar. If I have any complaints about Taylor is that too often they will let imperfection slide by. [See photo of faulty string spacing on 614]. This isn't the first time a premium guitar with a bad nut had left their shop.

Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 09-17-2017, 11:52 AM

Are you sure its not the string binding on the saddle.
Old 09-17-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
Are you sure its not the string binding on the saddle.
Actually, I'm not sure. Good point. I guess I'll take it to my technician on Tuesday to have him check it out. One good thing about warranties and a relationship with an authorized technician is that they'll correct the slightest imperfections under warranty, but more importantly, it's done without hassle and minimal inconvenience.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:27 PM
Charter Member

What strings are you using?
I love my Gotoh 21:1s. I have them on all of my high end guitars. I like how precise and smooth they feel.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:09 PM

I think the entire guitar is defective and I’ll be glad to take it off your hands. I have a sawzall and hammer and should be able to make any necessary adjustments! [emoji74]
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 02-14-2019, 04:28 PM

I gues the last 2 posters didn't realize it's been over a year since anyone posted to this thread. I wonder if the OP ever solved the problem. It sucks when people post and then don't resolve things.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
I gues the last 2 posters didn't realize it's been over a year since anyone posted to this thread. I wonder if the OP ever solved the problem. It sucks when people post and then don't resolve things.
Well, vindibona is still active on the forum, so perhaps he’ll notice this revived thread and respond.

whm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion