The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-30-2018, 04:26 PM

Default Greenfield Build Questions

Hi Everyone, I'm on Michael Greenfield's build list for next year and was hoping to get some input on a few things from folks.

I had a great conversation with Michael recently to walk through my playing style, what I thought I was looking for in terms of the instrument, etc. And not surprisingly it was an extremely enlightening conversation and Michael's depth of knowledge was really impressive. and on so many fronts.

Anyway, I have a few things I came away with to think about that I thought i would query any Greenfield owners or folks familiar with playing his instruments.

I think I've honed some of the main elements down to the following:

G2 body shape
adirondack top/mahogany back and sides
fanned frets
dadgad geometry/voiced for lowered tunings
arm rest bevel

For the mahogany b&s I am looking at Belizean "sinker" mahogany, Michael had a lot of nice things to say about it & it being a nice combination of the tonal benefits of both mahogany and rosewood guitars. I'm reinterpreting my sense of what he was describing, but basically: warm, woody, transparency, clear fundamental of good mahogany. yet the sinker's increased density contributing some of the sustain, reverberation, & more complex overtones associated with rosewood.

I was thinking about a cutaway initially, but after talking with Michael and evaluating the amount of above the 14th fret playing I do, I think I'm changing my mind. I thought I had a slight preference aesthetically for the cutaway, but after more research i don't think that is true. And it seems there are some good tone arguments to go without.

A few questions for greenfield owners:

would be great to hear from any folks who have this wood combination - particularly it seems there was someone who posted this exact adi & sinker combo and in a g2 body. would love to hear from that person on how that guitar us working out for them. i couldn't find the thread

how do you like the arm rest bevel- does it feel natural and comfortable to you?

what neck profile are you playing of those that he offers?

Thanks for the input. This is such a great forum.

Josh

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop