The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-01-2018, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Fran's website is a wealth of information for those who want to shoot "guitar videos" and end up with great audio in the process. Isn't that what it's all about?

Here's the link to Fran's Homebrewed Music website:

http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/
Hi Rudy

Thanks - I had it bookmarked 'somewhere' among my thousand-other bookmarks and couldn't remember the Home-brewed part…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-07-2018, 10:12 AM

Here are a couple of videos of me playing on my rooftop in Taos, NM recorded with a lone 4k iPhone which stress the importance of the cameraman and the setting:

https://themilkmen.space/videos

Notice how that little bit of motion makes things way more interesting than a typical static shot where the camera never moves? The guy who shot it is a pro cameraman/video editor. I'll take credit for thinking of going up on the roof

We were going to experiment with various PA stuff, cameras, and mixing solutions, but it was about to pour, meaning that instead of having all afternoon to play around with various stuff, we had 10 minutes! There was also supposed to be an audience, but once it rains it's too slick to be up there.

Nonetheless I'm thrilled to have these videos, impromptu as they are.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:49 AM

I don’t have a ton of recording experience, but I have done a couple of videos. It seems to me if you used the internal mic’s on the H4n, and positioned it were the SM58 is, you would get a better audio. Am I missing something?

Dave
2012 Eastman HE322CE w/K&K
2013 Breedlove Atlas Stage C25/SRe
2015 Epiphone DR-500MCE/NA w/JJB
2016 Gibson J-15 w/K&K
2016 Recording King ROS G9M
2017 Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-45ME/VSS
2018 Yamaha FS-TA
2018 Taylor 110e w/ES2
2018 AMI JM-SG45 w/JJB
Old 10-07-2018, 10:43 PM
AGF Sponsor

Troggg, cool stuff. Of course a storm coming over the mountains provides a pretty sweet backdrop, but your point about motion is well taken. My goal is to shoot a secondary camera that can provide some movement next time.

Molder, maybe so. My experience with the H4n mics is that they were just too live and bright. I’ve gotten a little better at mic setup and levels, so I could try them again.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 10-08-2018, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacluth View Post
Troggg, cool stuff. Of course a storm coming over the mountains provides a pretty sweet backdrop, but your point about motion is well taken. My goal is to shoot a secondary camera that can provide some movement next time.
Thanks! The other thing the cameraman did which was really original when you think about it was taking a whole bunch of shots from the side and shots which show the back of the guitar neck -- stuff you just never see. That's because he saw it from an artistic perspective instead of a guitar player's perspective. In other words, if you want to build a following, maybe your videos cater to the civilians too instead of just appealing to other hard core guitar players.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:09 PM
AGF Sponsor

Here's another attempt. I borrowed another mic from the music store a (Peavey 480) but I don't think it had quite the warmth as the Shure did, but maybe that was my fault. Trying to push some of the capabilities of iMovie in its multi-angle features, so really I'll need a better video editor to make that look better. I don't know if this video is any better, but I feel like I'm getting better at the post-side controls. Thanks everyone for watching along and your support. This will probably be my last video for this thread as y'all have ben patient enough. Thanks!

Old 10-15-2018, 12:28 PM

Default Beautiful guitar

...and it sounds great!

In my (rarely) humble opinion, we still need to see your eyes. They are a key part of communicating your humanity, which is a substantial part of reaching people.
2015 Martin GPCPA5
2016 Taylor 214ce-Nylon
2015 Ventura VWDONAT
Old 10-15-2018, 12:40 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks. I didn’t have a moveable lamp ready, but the lights that I did shine in his direction were about 10 feet away. Probably got too diffuse to light the face well. I’ll get there.

Old 10-17-2018, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacluth View Post
Thanks. I didn’t have a moveable lamp ready, but the lights that I did shine in his direction were about 10 feet away. Probably got too diffuse to light the face well. I’ll get there.
Hi Ryan…

I far prefer the sound/tone with the Peavey. No low mid bump/thump and fairly nice balance, and good detail in the sound.

Note-this is through my system and headphones (not high end). And then I sent it to the Apple TV and a 5.1 system. Same results in all. Much cleaner and better with the Peavey (which can be found pretty inexpensively on Amazon).

I use shower curtains from Walmart ($4-5) for cheap/inexpensive/quick-n-dirty diffusers. They work great and can be use in single or multiple layers for more/less diffusion.

You are doing great with your iMovie editing. You can/could color match the clips a little closer (in iMovie). I use it as my quick-n-easy editor on the Mac, as I'm loathe to pay a $50 month subscription to Adobe or $300 to Apple for Final Cut or You-Know…the other one. And iMovie outperforms Adobe Premier Express.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 10-17-2018 at 06:24 PM. Reason: added a sentence
Old 10-18-2018, 11:20 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks Larry. Maybe I’ll work with that mic again.

Old 10-20-2018, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

Ryan, enjoying the videos and seeing/hearing the progress. I just started buying recording gear, about to embark on thus journey as well. Learning a lot as I read this. Of course I also love hearing your guitars, so that’s a bonus!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 10-20-2018, 10:07 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks Mike! Steve and I are definitely of the old world mentality. But these modern times... So far I have found that it’s easy to get started, but like everything, it takes work to do well. The help on this thread and others in the subforum have been extremely helpful. Good luck to you too.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD