The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-02-2017, 12:39 PM

Default Pickup for Home Player

Did some searches but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for so I'll throw it out to the experts.

I just bought a guitar that does not have a pickup. It's not imperative that I have one but I'm toying with the idea to allow me to use my acoustic with my DigiTech Trio+. I'm trying to get to a point where I do most of my practicing with some sort of beat so I live the Trio and use it with my electric but thought it would be good to be able to use my acoustic with it.

So I'm trying to figure out an economic way to do this. I've seen a few ways to go but have no knowledge really of acoustic amplification. If it matters, I'd be plugging into my electric amp or my recording interface playing through my desktop monitors. So as far as I know, I'm looking at the following:

Sound hole pickup - the bar shaped kind that just mounts in the sound hole. If I went this route I'd want the kind that just have an external cable to plug in because I really don't like how they look and would want to take it out when I go play with friends.

iRig - I like this better than the sound hole kind because it appears it is just slip on and off but kind of looks like it would be in the way. I also wonder since it is more of a mic, would it work with the Trio.

K&K mini - this seems to be the standard permanent mount and I think is fairly reasonable. I know the strap button hole may need to get drilled out but I thought I saw one with a jack that didn't require it but not sure. I'm somewhat open to a permanent install if it makes the most sense. If so, is K&K the way to go?

I'm open to any suggestions as I really don't know much about it. I don't need amazing sound or anything. I just need the Trio to hear it so I can use it.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:01 PM

I think I've used acoustics with a Soundhole pickup with the Trio.

I would assume the iRig Stage would work the same way. You're not plugging a mic into the Trio with the iRig Stage, you're plugging an instrument level output from the little preamp box that's part of the iRig Stage.

The big plus with the iRig Stage would that it's really easy to attach and remove, much easier than any soundhole pickup I've ever used. I don't find it gets in the way. The loose cord that attaches the small pick shaped pickup to the preamp is slight bother, but that's about it.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 10-02-2017, 02:03 PM

I have to imagine they don't but have to ask, they don't scratch the guitar do they?
Old 10-02-2017, 02:54 PM

Are you handy with a soldering iron?

You'd be surprised what you can assemble for VERY little money from the basic OEM parts in the K & K. You're going to find, on eBay and other places, transducers and parts with the same end-result signal output if you look around.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification