The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-18-2022, 09:42 PM
AGF Sponsor

I'm 66, and most but not all of my cars have been manuals, including my current 2010 Volvo C30.

For those who have driven manuals for a while, it becomes an "autopilot" habit, not requiring much consciousness of the physical task. So it always surprises me when people say they don't like them in traffic. I don't like heavy traffic, but it's because the traffic itself is annoying, not because my car is annoying. I don't even notice my car most of the time, except the radio which is really good.

I do agree that as electrics increase their market share, manual transmissions will diminish even further.
Old 01-18-2022, 09:46 PM

Automatic transmissions are so good now I can’t imagine ever going back to a stick.

Shoot, even my Vespa requires no shifting!

Scott
Old 01-18-2022, 11:31 PM

I was in my 1952 4-speed roadster just yesterday and wound up at the line next to a guy who thought he was a racer. Had it all...tuner options, snorty pipes, Ricky Racer wheels, 200 mph paint, the works. At the green, I could actually hear his foot slam the accelerator pedal against the interior bodywork. As expected, he handily beat me off the line (I have 78 horsepower). As he pulled away, I realized I was hearing a paddle-shifter. Laughed my head off

Sticks will never go away. They are way too much fun to drive. All that will happen is the same thing that has happened to our guitars. These cars will get older and harder to find, and the market will go up with demand.
Old 01-18-2022, 11:50 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by H165 View Post
I was in my 1952 4-speed roadster just yesterday and wound up at the line next to a guy who thought he was a racer. Had it all...tuner options, snorty pipes, Ricky Racer wheels, 200 mph paint, the works. At the green, I could actually hear his foot slam the accelerator pedal against the interior bodywork. As expected, he handily beat me off the line (I have 78 horsepower). As he pulled away, I realized I was hearing a paddle-shifter. Laughed my head off

Sticks will never go away. They are way too much fun to drive. All that will happen is the same thing that has happened to our guitars. These cars will get older and harder to find, and the market will go up with demand.
Haha, love it! I adore your car. Class vs. ... *rhyme*.
Old 01-19-2022, 12:16 AM

I've only driven automatic twice in my lifetime, so far.
I didn't ask the passengers how they felt about my driving. My left foot kept reaching for the clutch pedal ... and hitting the brake instead.

If hybrids and electrics keep increasing in numbers, as they seem, I'm sure clutch pedals will diminish - even here in Europe.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 01-19-2022, 04:42 AM

I try to always own a car with a manual trans. My current daily driver is a beat up 2007 Hyundai Accent hatchback with a 5 speed. It has no power, but with the manual and nimble chassis, it sure is a fun car to drive. I don’t care how good automatic transmissions are nowadays, the incentive with manuals back in the day was better gas mileage, and better torque transfer to the wheels (older torque converters are huge power suckers). But today they have 7, 8, 10! Speed automatics with dual clutch that shift like a F1 car. Automatics are simply faster now. But they don’t replace the experience of the man-machine connection a manual transmission provides. Nobody will ever convince me of otherwise.

And part of the demise of the manual transmission is also todays culture of being constantly connected. Cars literarily drive themselves now, so people can browse Instagram while driving. The actual joy of driving, not just the manual transmission is also dying.
Old 01-19-2022, 05:03 AM
Charter Member

I really don't miss cog-stirring.

Certainly not with a messed up left foot and a smashed up left shoulder. (Remember in the UK we drive on the right side - which is the left!)

I was lent a manual for a day by my Honda dealer I could change Ok, but I did tend to gear down for stops. I'd get used to it again, but have no wish to.

I drove n ancient Ford truck in south Texas in 2004. Our lovely friends had bought it to load up to take rubbish to the dump. Column shift three gears (?) every time I changed the whole thing shook - we found that the engine was mounted on wooden planks!
Old 01-19-2022, 05:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Kindnes View Post
Save your money and buy an old one. I have a 30 year old MX5 with manual transmission and it's just a joy to drive.
I sold my '10 MX5 a year ago and don't think I'll be buying another...
Martin 000-15sm
Old 01-19-2022, 08:46 AM

I could probably live with a stick if I never encountered traffic...whoopsie! I live in CA...ouch!
Old 01-19-2022, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-B View Post
I don't like heavy traffic, but it's because the traffic itself is annoying, not because my car is annoying.
I think what they mean by heavy traffic is the stop and start inching along type of thing. Where you spend the whole time pushing down the clutch and feathering it to inch along. Sometimes you have to put in neutral to rest your foot. Or you move from stop light to stop light. In a way it's not actual driving.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 01-19-2022, 10:22 AM

Dad taught me to drive in a 1967 Datsun pickup with a 4 speed manual.
Never forget that stop sign at "almost" the top of the long two lane hill...
Old 01-19-2022, 10:36 AM

Personally I feel this is a reflection of 1)better engine management via computers and 2) the ever increasing laziness and inattention of your average driver. The only reason I bought an automatic after driving stick for decades was I have a bum knee from an injury and it was starting to hurt and click on the shifts. Now that I've owned one for a while I truly understand the appeal....of the manual transmission.
Old 01-19-2022, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
I think what they mean by heavy traffic is the stop and start inching along type of thing. Where you spend the whole time pushing down the clutch and feathering it to inch along. Sometimes you have to put in neutral to rest your foot. Or you move from stop light to stop light. In a way it's not actual driving.
I am betting there is a quantifiable chartable relationship between the increase in "stop and go" traffic, and the proliferation of the Auto trans.....??

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 01-19-2022, 11:06 AM

I much prefer an automatic when I'm commuting and a manual for when I'm driving. Guess which one I do the most?
Old 01-19-2022, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
I much prefer an automatic when I'm commuting and a manual for when I'm driving. Guess which one I do the most?
Currently do not own an automatic but even when I commuted, (no longer) I drove a stick, but it was more like "driving", about 45- 55 miles one way

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic